Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Parking Lot 6th & Walker

Default Re: Big New Surface Parking Lot Proposed for 6th/Walker

I didn't read the Staff report but they did really write that this lot is not suitable for development?

WTF is up with city staff? Are their jobs threatened if they make sensible recommendations? Any qualified planning person would recognize the growth of Midtown and the importance of that intersection. Is there some Attila the Hun type running around over there scaring the daylights out of people? If this is approved there is something cancerous happening with our city staff.

The rights of property owners don't matter much on this forum, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by soonerhcf View Post
    It's not that they don't matter. It's just hard to swallow when a project goes against the goals/directions of the surrounding neighborhood.

The owners bought the land, and all the regulations that come with it. Case closed. Next.

6. Default Re: Big New Surface Parking Lot Proposed for 6th/Walker

That's a lame excuse. It's like telling the cop who pulls you over for speeding that it's a free country.

So you're totally cool with the 20-foot-high lime green inflated phallus lawn sculpture I'll be putting up in my lawn next door to your house?

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    That's a lame excuse. It's like telling the cop who pulls you over for speeding that it's a free country.
    Damn. That's what I told him last time!

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    so you're totally cool with the 20-foot-high lime green inflated phallus lawn sculpture i'll be putting up in my lawn next door to your house?
    do it!

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    The owners bought the land, and all the regulations that come with it. Case closed. Next.
    The regulations do not prevent the construction of a parking lot... Before you act like you know what you're talking about, you should actually know what you're talking about.

The regulations do not prevent the construction of a parking lot... Before you act like you know what you're talking about, you should actually know what you're talking about.
    They prevent development of the proposed parking lot (at least that is my assessment from what has been posted). Are you the person that wants to build the parking lot?

City staff don't have control over policy. They can recommend changes, but it's up to City Council to adopt policy. Parking lots are permitted by right in downtown. Therefore, if so many of you are so passionate about not having them, go lobby City Council to remove the by right permission and make them conditional, special permit, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by cafeboeuf View Post
    City staff don't have control over policy. They can recommend changes, but it's up to City Council to adopt policy. Parking lots are permitted by right in downtown. Therefore, if so many of you are so passionate about not having them, go lobby City Council to remove the by right permission and make them conditional, special permit, etc.
    Based on what has been posted, parking lots can't built at corners - only midblock. That means what you are suggesting we do has already been done.

This was approved under the perspective that the vacant building at 6th/Hudson has been impossible to rent because of the parking problem that it has. The argument was made that the surface lot can be converted as market conditions allow. Marva Ellard got up and spoke against it.

What a waste of space. How soon can we expect the vacant building to be rented? Did they not see the 100 parking spaces across the street?

LOL, look at the first sentence of the description on this webpage: http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/16229...ahoma-City-OK/

That could actually be a livable building if they removed that arrow feature on the roof and used the horizontal awnings shown on the Guyutes proposal.

They prevent development of the proposed parking lot (at least that is my assessment from what has been posted). Are you the person that wants to build the parking lot?
    JTF: sorry for the late response... busy day. I am not the person who wants to build the parking lot nor do I support a parking lot at this location. I am a strong supporter of the rights of property owners, and I feel that a lot of posters on this board express a general lack of empathy. The property owner is locating a business to downtown from the suburbs and occupying a building that has been vacant for years. If he has to build a surface parking lot to support this move, so be it.

JTF: sorry for the late response... busy day. I am not the person who wants to build the parking lot nor do I support a parking lot at this location. I am a strong supporter of the rights of property owners, and I feel that a lot of posters on this board express a general lack of empathy. The property owner is locating a business to downtown from the suburbs and occupying a building that has been vacant for years. If he has to build a surface parking lot to support this move, so be it.
    No worries - it got approved so on to the next battle. Do you know what business is moving and which building they will be occupying? As for the property rights angle, this country has never had the kind of property rights many people think it had. When the first town was founded in America they had restriction on building placement and land use and it has been that way every since. Personally, I think we have gone to far in catering to the automobile and the resulting land-use patterns from doing so have hurt us in every conceivable way - from excessive taxation to build and maintain urban sprawl, to obesity, to drug use, to crime, to wars in the Middle East, to texting while driving (and the list goes on and on).

Personally, I think we have gone to far in catering to the automobile and the resulting land-use patterns from doing so have hurt us in every conceivable way - from excessive taxation to build and maintain urban sprawl, to obesity, to drug use, to crime, to wars in the Middle East, to texting while driving (and the list goes on and on).
    I agree with all of this except, please explain how drug use would be mitigated in an urban environment.

21. Default Re: Big New Surface Parking Lot Proposed for 6th/Walker

Quote Originally Posted by mcca7596 View Post
    I agree with all of this except, please explain how drug use would be mitigated in an urban environment.
    I think it is probably a stretch to say that suburban drug abuse is necessarily more prevalent than urban, but it is undoubtedly different and likely contributed to by the suburban lifestyle. The school of thought is that living in the suburbs makes you more disconnected from others, bored, depressed, inactive. Kids specifically don't have as much supervision or adult interaction and have too much time on their hands...there was a book written about this in 2000 called Bowling Alone - The Collapse and Revival of American Community. You can find a number of studies publicized online that seem to support those theories.

I have no doubt whatsoever about the other items JTF lists. You can make a strong argument for every one.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    I think it is probably a stretch to say that suburban drug abuse is necessarily more prevalent than urban, but it is undoubtedly different and likely contributed to by the suburban lifestyle. The school of thought is that living in the suburbs makes you more disconnected from others, bored, depressed, inactive. Kids specifically don't have as much supervision or adult interaction and have too much time on their hands...there was a book written about this in 2000 called Bowling Alone - The Collapse and Revival of American Community. You can find a number of studies publicized online that seem to support those theories.

I have no doubt whatsoever about the other items JTF lists. You can make a strong argument for every one.
    I figured it would have something to do with social isolation, just wondered if there were stats. Thanks for the link to that book.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post

That is it Urbanized and thanks for the book link as well. I have not read that and based drug use on my own personal experience growing up in suburbia. Most people I grew up with that used drugs did so out of pure bordem. Fortunately I started working at a very young age (8 years old) so I had places to go and people to see that kept me active.

No worries - it got approved so on to the next battle. Do you know what business is moving and which building they will be occupying? As for the property rights angle, this country has never had the kind of property rights many people think it had. When the first town was founded in America they had restriction on building placement and land use and it has been that way every since. Personally, I think we have gone to far in catering to the automobile and the resulting land-use patterns from doing so have hurt us in every conceivable way - from excessive taxation to build and maintain urban sprawl, to obesity, to drug use, to crime, to wars in the Middle East, to texting while driving (and the list goes on and on).

This company: http://www.estinc.net/
    This building at 6th & Hudson: http://www.oklahomacounty.org/assess...19368001rA.jpg

25. Default Re: Big New Surface Parking Lot Proposed for 6th/Walker

The development standards of this city are so shockingly low it's ridiculous.

Thread Information