Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mission BBQ

1. Default Re: Mission BBQ

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Does any chain restaurant that offers all items at all times have good BBQ?

They all seem the same to me and not in the same universe as the batch sell-until-its-gone places.
    No... not even Clark Crew... My last visit there was my final visit there.

Default Re: Mission BBQ

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Does any chain restaurant that offers all items at all times have good BBQ?

They all seem the same to me and not in the same universe as the batch sell-until-its-gone places.
    Agreed. None of the chains have ever impressed me with their bbq, especially since I learned to smoke meat pretty well at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    No... not even Clark Crew... My last visit there was my final visit there.
    curious what made it your last visit? while i agree that it's not great BBQ. i do think it's really pretty good, and something in my regular rotation

4. Default Re: Mission BBQ

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    curious what made it your last visit?
    The product I was served was not worth the price that day. It always had been in the past.

The product I was served was not worth the price that day. It always had been in the past.
    okay. that's a very fair reason.... it's usually my final straw as well.

So no "one more shot" for places that have consistently been fine, but one time wasn't?

Never heard of Mission BBQ. But I hope it succeeds.

7. Default Re: Mission BBQ

Quote Originally Posted by bison34 View Post
    So no "one more shot" for places that have consistently been fine, but one time wasn't?.
    I think it depends on the place. I remember always having good service and food at Flint. Then, one night, they served $30 grilled chicken, which was pink in the middle. I am not returning to a place that charges that much and can't even cook chicken correctly.

So no "one more shot" for places that have consistently been fine, but one time wasn't?

Never heard of Mission BBQ. But I hope it succeeds.
    Sometimes, a visit is so bad you can tell things have changed for the worst, you know? Turnover in staff is a big one you'll notice if you're a regular, as well as a sharp decline in quality. I'm not a guy that will swear off a place for one bad experience out of a bunch, but after two, I feel like that's usually a sign I need to branch out more and find a new spot.

9. Default Re: Mission BBQ

No... I won't waste the money, or the time, when I have other options that haven't let me down.

No... I won't waste the money, or the time, when I have other options that haven't let me down.
    Sounds like we have a competition between Roger S and TheTravellers on who is the most discerning and difficult restaurant patron.

11. Default Re: Mission BBQ

Sometimes restaurants (especially BBQ) have off days so I can give them a pass if I've had a good experience in the past but they were not up to par once. Maybe I had too high of expectations for Clark Crew due to the hype, but I've been underwhelmed all of the 4/5 times I've eaten there.

12. Default Re: Mission BBQ

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    Sounds like we have a competition between Roger S and TheTravellers on who is the most discerning and difficult restaurant patron.
    When you've eaten as much BBQ as I have while I was blogging about it and judging KCBS contests.... You might feel the same way.

When you've eaten as much BBQ as I have while I was blogging about it and judging KCBS contests.... You might feel the same way.
    While not blogging and judging, yeah, eaten at a lot of places...

When you actually understand the objective difference between what is good and great it makes it very difficult to settle for good.

Quote Originally Posted by citywokchinesefood View Post
    When you actually understand the objective difference between what is good and great it makes it very difficult to settle for good.
    That's a good point. At least it makes me feel better about being a BBQ snob.

Blog Entries

With BBQ, or most foods, is the objective criteria for competition judging? Sometimes "objective" criteria does not fully satisfy the definition of "great". For instance, a concert pianist can play a piece to perfection technically according to the written notes, but others may play with more emotion that stirs the crowd even though there are imperceptible mistakes which the judge might deduct points for. Which performance is "great"... the one the audience loves more and is moved by, or the one the judges score better? Sometimes people are a little arrogant about their own perspectives of "great". Same goes for art, literature, etc. Once you are at an accomplished level, tastes regarding what is good or great can be different.

17. Default Re: Mission BBQ

All critiques are subjective to the entity making the critique... It's why I had a disclaimer on my blog saying not to take my thoughts as gospel and to go try it for yourself.

For instance some people like their rib meat to fall off the bone. If I want pulled pork I'll just order pulled pork. Not ribs that fall off the bone.

I went to Corner Bakery yesterday and asked them about them closing their location and when that was going to be happening? The employee stated they were not closing down and knew nothing about a BBQ place being opened at this location? She stated that they are a busy location and were not closing anytime soon? Strange information??

Quote Originally Posted by progressiveboy View Post
    I went to Corner Bakery yesterday and asked them about them closing their location and when that was going to be happening? The employee stated they were not closing down and knew nothing about a BBQ place being opened at this location? She stated that they are a busy location and were not closing anytime soon? Strange information??
    The employees probably wouldn't know. Restaurant operators are notorious for not giving notice of closing, mainly because they don't want employees to leave and there would be no way to hire new ones.

There is a building permit filed for Mission to take this location, and it takes good money to draw up those plans.

Poor employee doesn't know what is coming. It would be really tempting to go up there with a printout of the plans and show them.

21. Default Re: Mission BBQ

This is so true. Since I have tried so many places in the last two years, both in OKC and other cities, I have noticed that I am not satisfied with just good anymore. It also doesn't help that my girlfriend can usually cook great food and if we go somewhere that isn't great she will say, "I can do better than this, why does this cost so much?"

If I think a place is good and most customers would like it, I try to be more open to the idea that good is fine at a certain price point. If a place is considered fine dining and the food is just good, then I am usually pretty harsh.

Quote Originally Posted by OkieBerto View Post
    This is so true. Since I have tried so many places in the last two years, both in OKC and other cities, I have noticed that I am not satisfied with just good anymore. It also doesn't help that my girlfriend can usually cook great food and if we go somewhere that isn't great she will say, "I can do better than this, why does this cost so much?"

If I think a place is good and most customers would like it, I try to be more open to the idea that good is fine at a certain price point. If a place is considered fine dining and the food is just good, then I am usually pretty harsh.
    Specific to BBQ, though, I used to think there was some magical, mystical process to BBQ that meant I could only really get it at a restaurant, and pay exorbitant sums for it. Also, growing up, the BBQ spot my parents always frequented was Crockett's, so I grew up thinking that was real BBQ.

It wasn't until much later when I learned about good BBQ, and also took an interest in making it.

Now, knowing the care and time I put into the meats I smoke, and the outstanding results I usually get, I am borderline offended at most BBQ restaurants offerings and their prices.

I think a lot of people can cook a decent burger at home. A lot of people can even cook a really good steak at home. Fewer people can smoke a slab of ribs, pork butt, brisket, etc. at home, so they feel compelled to spend a lot of money for even mediocre representations.

Kind of like anything else, I guess, we're more inclined to assign a high value to things we cannot do ourselves, with varying degrees of quality in return.

I don't begrudge anyone their preferences in food, though. I would love the opportunity to feed someone who thinks Swadley's is great BBQ, though, and see if they change their mind.

23. Default Re: Mission BBQ

Quote Originally Posted by barrettd View Post
    I don't begrudge anyone their preferences in food, though. I would love the opportunity to feed someone who thinks Swadley's is great BBQ, though, and see if they change their mind.
    I still look back to when I thought all the chains made great BBQ... Now after years of making my own, judging KCBS events, and driving across multiple states blogging about it.... I can't set foot in those places and I cringe when someone tells me how great they are... Which usually includes being told they mostly go there for the sauce or the sides anyway.

24. Default Re: Mission BBQ

For the money, I prefer Earl's. Can you get better? Of course, but you will pay for it. Can you get cheaper? Of course, but eater be warned. Any idea how Mission will compare to Earl's?

I still look back to when I thought all the chains made great BBQ... Now after years of making my own, judging KCBS events, and driving across multiple states blogging about it.... I can't set foot in those places and I cringe when someone tells me how great they are... Which usually includes being told they mostly go there for the sauce or the sides anyway.
    exactly this... the amount of times i have heard from people after i try a BBQ place they recommend that i didn't like, "well did you get their cornbread?"

Thread Information