Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sunbeam

1. Default Re: Classen Terrace Building

I think the top photo has been stretched horizontally, but it's also interesting from the perspective of the lane splitting off onto Western. You'd almost think that was a post-60s weird idea.

Default Re: Classen Terrace Building

I understand that Sunbeam has plans for this site. Are there any renderings for their new office building?

3. Default Re: Classen Terrace Building

Hey, woah. You're wanting to see renderings along with building demolition applications? That's just communist.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyline View Post
    I understand that Sunbeam has plans for this site. Are there any renderings for their new office building?
    I believe they said they were just getting started with an architect.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Hey, woah. You're wanting to see renderings along with building demolition applications? That's just communist.
    I smiled.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    it's also interesting from the perspective of the lane splitting off onto Western.
    The lanes splitting off to the left were Western, as was the street going on to the right. The other street coming in at the foreground was Olie. Before 1957, "Classen Boulevard" began at NW 10 and Walker, ran diagonally up to NW 16 and Western, crossed Western at that point, and continued north as it does today. What is now Classen Boulevard from NW 13 south to Main Street was "Olie" and it stopped at Main.

In 1957, this part of Olie was rebuilt south of NW 10 and renamed Classen. The extension down to Reno was added after the Crosstown was built. The original Classen Boulevard from NW 10 to NW 16 was renamed as Classen Drive, and eventually blocked off from the new Classen/Western because it was deemed a traffic hazard (too many streets intersecting at the same point).

The Belle Isle streetcar line ran from NW 13 and Robinson Circle to Broadway to Main up Olie to NW 13, on Western from NW 13 to NW 16, then on Classen out to Belle Isle itself. For four months in 1946 I rode it to school every morning...

Here are links to the auction announcement PDF files. Maybe they would go with the wiki record for this building?

http://www.ok.gov/DCS/documents/Clas..._Bldg_Sale.pdf
    http://www.ok.gov/DCS/documents/DCS-...06-11-2008.pdf

Default Sunbeam Family Services - New Home

Sunbeam is kicking off a fundraising campaign for a new home at 1411 N. Classen Boulevard.

Sunbeam Family Services :: Campaign

HangryHippo Guest

Default Re: Sunbeam Family Services - New Home

Are those pictures of what the new digs will look like?

Is this the lot that had the old store that's now been demolished right where Classen splits?

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyOne View Post
    Is this the lot that had the old store that's now been demolished right where Classen splits?
    Not sure if we are thinking about the same area, but it looked like an old school and was then boarded up and used by the DOC.

Here is the OK county assessor page:

Leonard Sullivan Oklahoma County Assessor Real Property Detail Sheet

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    Not sure if we are thinking about the same area, but it looked like an old school and was then boarded up and used by the DOC.

Here is the OK county assessor page:

Leonard Sullivan Oklahoma County Assessor Real Property Detail Sheet
    It was the old offices for HTB architects / engineers.

12. Default Re: Sunbeam Family Services - New Home

Quote Originally Posted by TechArch View Post
    Sunbeam is kicking off a fundraising campaign for a new home at 1411 N. Classen Boulevard.

What an eyesore. Classen Blvd. deserves MUCH better!

Have you guys seen the other buildings on Classen? I am just glad that this great organization is getting a new home and it is replacing something old and outdated.

Not going to comment on the building design, will allow others to provide the snark, but this organization does some good work for the community.

Quote Originally Posted by TechArch View Post

Sorry, but Fort Worth has a ton of "hipsters". I've seen them, and I've talked with some in my class right here in OKC that told me today that there are quite a bit of cool hang out places in Fort Worth that she and her "hipster" friends go to. So, yeeeeeaaaaah. I'd take that list with a grain of salt. Not saying that OKC is a hipster meca or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Sorry, but Fort Worth has a ton of "hipsters". I've seen them, and I've talked with some in my class right here in OKC that told me today that there are quite a bit of cool hang out places in Fort Worth that she and her "hipster" friends go to. So, yeeeeeaaaaah. I'd take that list with a grain of salt. Not saying that OKC is a hipster meca or anything.
    Not a very scientific study... The old "I heard a friend say it was so" methodology. I've seen very little hipster (or local) culture in much of Ft. Worth... But I could be wrong. I haven't really studied the issue.

Good for them. Certainly a worthy service, and I wish them the best of luck with their capital campaign. The building design may not be the most exciting design or embody many of the principles most of us admire in urban design, but it is a vast imporvement over the empty lot that is there now.

For the love of Pete. You would think that an organization with limited funds would maximize their land and exposure opportunities. I guess they saved a lot of money by buying the OIPA back-up plans instead of coming up with all-new plans.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    For the love of Pete. You would think that an organization with limited funds would maximize their land and exposure opportunities. I guess they saved a lot of money by buying the OIPA back-up plans instead of coming up with all-new plans.
    Speaking of OIPA, their land use turned out to be incredibly ****ty. What a disaster that is. Sunbeam's work here is far better.

Blog Entries

Not just land use, I have the same opinion of the end design (vs the original)

HangryHippo Guest

Agreed. It was just a disappointing development all around.

In addition to the main building, there will be a small shelter for seniors as shown on this site plan recently submitted to the planning commission:

Well, at least there won't be a sea of parking fronting Classen.

Quote Originally Posted by KilgoreTrout View Post
    Not a very scientific study... The old "I heard a friend say it was so" methodology. I've seen very little hipster (or local) culture in much of Ft. Worth... But I could be wrong. I haven't really studied the issue.
    Well, you got me there. I don't go to Fort Worth that often, but when I have gone there, I have personally witnessed them in masses at a few places. Can't really remember the names, as it was awhile ago, but I'm sure the people would fall into the hippy category. You're right though, this isn't a scientific study or anything like that haha. . . just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents on it. Reading it now, I could've worded it better.

Thread Information