Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What's Happening to OKC Radio Stations?

Default Re: What's Happening to OKC Radio Stations?

Quote Originally Posted by zookeeper View Post
    While I mostly agree with you (well, not about the hip-hop) - how many times can you post the same thing? You've posted practically the same thing too many times to count. They still aren't listening to you. People who listen to hip-hop, generally speaking, don't have two nickles to rub together. Not exactly a money-making demographic. It's also hard to keep advertisers on hip-hop because they don't want the association with rape, assault, misogyny, murder, profanity, etc.
    Get off my lawn!

Quote Originally Posted by trousers View Post
    Get off my lawn!
    Well, it's the truth and you don't have to be an old geezer to realize it.

I would like to see the demographic data behind this statement "People who listen to hip-hop, generally speaking, don't have two nickles to rub together. Not exactly a money-making demographic."

Quote Originally Posted by trousers View Post
    I would like to see the demographic data behind this statement "People who listen to hip-hop, generally speaking, don't have two nickles to rub together. Not exactly a money-making demographic."
    I would like to see that as well. If it's not a money-making format, why is it that almost every other major market in the US has at least one urban formatted station? Some markets have several. OKC is unique in that it does NOT have an urban station unless you count Power 103.5 which can only be picked up in OKC proper when the weather is right. If what zookeeper says is true the format would be disappearing nationwide except in specific markets but it isn't. A lot of them have a dance lean to them these days anyways that almost crosses into Top 40 territory. To say its only thugs and criminals that listen to them is quite ignorant. I can understand hip hop and r&b is a genre a lot of people hate but like any genre it has its fans and its place on the radio dial.

5. Default Re: What's Happening to OKC Radio Stations?

Group ownership is a blight. There's no reason why a mere three companies (three and a half, if you want to count Champlin, which owns Hank FM and allows Cumulus to program Bob) should get to divide up 16 MHz of FM spectrum space. It took a lot of sheer pluck for Perry to latch onto an FM way the heck out in Anadarko and try to build an OKC audience for it. (KVSP actually puts a better signal over Lawton than it does over OKC.) There are only nine full(ish)-power commercial FM allocations for Oklahoma City; everything else is either a rimshooter or was moved in from far away.

It wouldn't surprise me if ClearChannel does something new on 94.7 soon. The Brew, last I checked, had dismal ratings and there are way too many classic rock stations in OKC for them all to remain. I can't imagine why they would continue to let a 100kw signal rot like that.

If they would diversify they might be surprised. Campbell soups has more diversity than our local over the air radio.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel View Post
    If they would diversify they might be surprised. Campbell soups has more diversity than our local over the air radio.
    Agree. I am sick of country, classic rock, and sports talk. It seems like that's all corporate radio thinktanks assume will work here. If any company would be willing to do something a little more bold, it would be ClearChannel. They already own two country stations so its unlikely they would do country on a third signal. I wish 94.7 would flip to something not already in the market. That leaves the following formats that I can think of.

Alternative rock
    Urban
    Dance
    Smooth jazz
    Standards

I don't know why bringing something new to OKC wouldn't make good business sense. That station could have an entire demographic to itself rather than splitting its listeners with 4 other stations doing the same format.

As far as hip hop is concerned; what about 103.5?

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    As far as hip hop is concerned; what about 103.5?
    It would be nice if the weather didn't have to be just right for it to come in clear. Perry would be better to set up a translator like Now 96.5 and use it to properly cover OKC. I doubt there is much of a market for the station in Hobart or Elk City.

11. Default Re: What's Happening to OKC Radio Stations?

What are these "radio stations" you speak of?

Quote Originally Posted by CuatrodeMayo View Post
    What are these "radio stations" you speak of?
    If you can't or don't want to pay for satellite or streaming, then you are stuck with good ole' FM radio.

I wish OKC Bob FM was the variety hits Bob FM.

I had satellite radio once and was unimpressed. I tend to listen to my own music library a lot though.

15. Default Re: What's Happening to OKC Radio Stations?

Complaining about the lack of basic radio stations these days is like complaining about the lack of TV channels on standard through-the-wall cable. Nobody (relative to the past) uses it so nobody is going to invest new money into it. XM, Spotify, Pandora, etc. killed standard radio. Even those who don't have satellite radio hook their phones into their radios and play music that way.

Amazing how these days you have to pay for stuff you once got for free and nobody seems to care.

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    I had satellite radio once and was unimpressed. I tend to listen to my own music library a lot though.
    I've had it twice. I find a well-programmed terrestrial station sounds better than most satellite stations. Satellite is best for talk radio and EDM stations like B.P.M. Other than that, I didn't find it worth the money.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Amazing how these days you have to pay for stuff you once got for free and nobody seems to care.
    That's because the quality of satellite and these other options is so superior to the old traditional format that nobody cares. Old traditional radio wasn't free either, it was paid for by the ads which became so frequent it was unbearable.

The only genre I find to be better on traditional radio is country music. Satellite radio's country selection is pretty bare. Pop/Hits, EDM, Rap, Sports, General News, Comedy, etc. are all unbeatable on satellite IMO. Plus you rarely ever have to hear commercials except on the Sports/News channels, which is one of the biggest pluses like I mentioned above.

20. Default Re: What's Happening to OKC Radio Stations?

Pandora and Spotify are both free if you don't mind occasional ads.

Comedy is great on local radio (92.9 FM and AM 1560). IIRC, Comedy on Sirius/XM also had commercials.

Quote Originally Posted by CuatrodeMayo View Post
    Pandora and Spotify are both free if you don't mind occasional ads.
    And are willing to pay for a hefty data plan. XM is actually cheaper when you consider that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dubya61 View Post
    Comedy is great on local radio (92.9 FM and AM 1560).
    I forget about 92.9, I've got plenty of empty settings on my stereo, need to put that in a spot.

107.7 has gone sports. I might be on it tonight.

25. Default Re: What's Happening to OKC Radio Stations?

It would be nice if the weather didn't have to be just right for it to come in clear. Perry would be better to set up a translator like Now 96.5 and use it to properly cover OKC. I doubt there is much of a market for the station in Hobart or Elk City.
    You would be shocked cold by how many rural Oklahomans listen to hip-hop. I have met a lot of people in places like Elk City who aren't African American but pretend to be, and they listen to nothing but hip-hop.

Houston also has two hip-hip stations that can barely be picked up beyond Harris County.
    Continue the Renaissance!!!

Thread Information