Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Pizzeria Gusto

1. Default Re: Pizzeria Gusto

We commit the same injustices today when we "improve" stuff from other eras, like this "modernization" of a cool mid-century modern bank on Lincoln:

Before:

After:

Default Re: Pizzeria Gusto

Urbanized,
    State Capitol Bank, my first bank after I came home from the Navy. Banked there several years.
    C. T.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    We commit the same injustices today when we "improve" stuff from other eras, like this "modernization" of a cool mid-century modern bank on Lincoln:

Quote Originally Posted by Celebrator View Post
    See downtown Edmond!
    I honestly don't think Edmond's downtown is anything special. What is really unique is Guthrie's downtown and that place is a hidden treasure. I am so surprised how many people are unaware of its significance.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I honestly don't think Edmond's downtown is anything special. ...
    Maybe you just need a fresh perspective. It's actually quite charming when observed in a rear view mirror.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I honestly don't think Edmond's downtown is anything special. What is really unique is Guthrie's downtown and that place is a hidden treasure. I am so surprised how many people are unaware of its significance.
    Actually, Guthrie's heritage and downtown area are extremely well known. But that has little to do with Pizzeria Gusto.

Boy does that look better:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    Actually, Guthrie's heritage and downtown area are extremely well known. But that has little to do with Pizzeria Gusto.
    Yes, but it was another chance to slam the evil Edmond.

8. Default Re: Pizzeria Gusto

Edmond has a great downtown. Unfortunately many of the building facades have been covered by '60s and '70s era cedar faux mansard roofs, but they are slowly being uncovered.

I've learned more about the exterior remodel of Gusto, but can't share just yet. Stay tuned!

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    I've learned more about the exterior remodel of Gusto, but can't share just yet. Stay tuned!
    The anticipation is killing me...

Quote Originally Posted by cafeboeuf View Post
    The anticipation is killing me...
    Lol

Nice!

12. Default Re: Pizzeria Gusto

The pizza discussion dropped off after 5 posts bit I'll comment because these are my neighbors and I pay attention to their project. It's obvious from the floor plan this is a full italian restaurant. There's a convection oven, two fryers, a 36" griddle, 8 ranges and a domed pizza oven. About a year ago, I begged one of the partners (who also owns other uptown concepts and ISN'T Chris Lower) to do coal fired pizza. This looks like wood fired, but no one is doing napoletana in this town and it seems crazy that no one is doing it. Crank that sucker up to 800F and a pizza cooks in 90 seconds. 1 za per person no cutting.

My opinion is the pizza(like most restaurants) in OKC is muddled with mediocrity. In other words it's not good, but it doesn't suck. The standard is so low that places can skate by for decade as celebrated institutions of said food item. That's not to say there aren't a few places doing it right. Indian food is an example of no one doing it right. Can we please, please get one joint that doesn't have a buffet?? And I don't feel super comfortable with vegetarians preping my meat-etarian dishes. But we only have one Pakistani joint (kabob & curry) making punjab cuisine but it's a take away. I stopped eating buffet indian after I sat a very popular joint on 23rd and a man who was obviously on drugs and in filthy plain clothes came through the front door to announce "I got ya'lls meat delivery." What made it extra gross was this was at 8pm. Who wholesales food product at 8pm?

Sorry for the rant. I need to some breathing exercises and take a heart pill before I get on to Thai food. Or worse. BBQ! Don't get me started!

Quote Originally Posted by IanMcDermid View Post
    The pizza discussion dropped off after 5 posts bit I'll comment because these are my neighbors and I pay attention to their project. It's obvious from the floor plan this is a full italian restaurant. There's a convection oven, two fryers, a 36" griddle, 8 ranges and a domed pizza oven. About a year ago, I begged one of the partners (who also owns other uptown concepts and ISN'T Chris Lower) to do coal fired pizza. This looks like wood fired, but no one is doing napoletana in this town and it seems crazy that no one is doing it. Crank that sucker up to 800F and a pizza cooks in 90 seconds. 1 za per person no cutting.

My opinion is the pizza(like most restaurants) in OKC is muddled with mediocrity. In other words it's not good, but it doesn't suck. The standard is so low that places can skate by for decade as celebrated institutions of said food item.
    Wife and I were discussing this just the other day. We were fortunate enough to live in Naples for 3 years, and our Friday night ritual involved pizza from our favorite pizzeria. Hard to find anything even vaguely similar here. I realize it's purely anecdotal, but most of the pizzerias used wood for their ovens, not coal. Still, fast individual pizzas just like you described. Would love me some more.

ETA: Meant to ask: Do you think this restaurant will do pizza napoletana?

14. Default Re: Pizzeria Gusto

It's pure speculation, I merely suggested it to one of the owners. It's what makes the most sense. And if they don't I will! A wine bar that pumps out pizza in 2 minutes? Yeah buddy. The only place I'm aware of in this country doing coal is luzzo's Manhattan in the village. The oven is well over a century old. You get the tiny wine glasses and there's middle aged men wearing track suits drinking and talking "business" in the back corner table. Fuhgetaboutit.

15. Default Re: Pizzeria Gusto

Anthony's Coal Fired is in South Florida and in the NE (NY State, NJ, Pennsylvania). Grimaldi's is spread out around the U.S.; AZ, NV, CA, CO, ID, TX, SC, FL. I've eaten at the one in Old Town Scottsdale AZ and it was pretty tasty. I have it on good authority that Anthony's Coal Fired is ridiculously good, but have not eaten there.

Blog Entries

It's pure speculation, I merely suggested it to one of the owners. It's what makes the most sense. And if they don't I will! A wine bar that pumps out pizza in 2 minutes? Yeah buddy. The only place I'm aware of in this country doing coal is luzzo's Manhattan in the village. The oven is well over a century old. You get the tiny wine glasses and there's middle aged men wearing track suits drinking and talking "business" in the back corner table. Fuhgetaboutit.
    There are any number of coal fired in NYC.

My opinion is the pizza(like most restaurants) in OKC is muddled with mediocrity. In other words it's not good, but it doesn't suck. The standard is so low that places can skate by for decade as celebrated institutions of said food item. That's not to say there aren't a few places doing it right. Indian food is an example of no one doing it right. Can we please, please get one joint that doesn't have a buffet?? And I don't feel super comfortable with vegetarians preping my meat-etarian dishes. But we only have one Pakistani joint (kabob & curry) making punjab cuisine but it's a take away. I stopped eating buffet indian after I sat a very popular joint on 23rd and a man who was obviously on drugs and in filthy plain clothes came through the front door to announce "I got ya'lls meat delivery." What made it extra gross was this was at 8pm. Who wholesales food product at 8pm?

Sorry for the rant. I need to some breathing exercises and take a heart pill before I get on to Thai food. Or worse. BBQ! Don't get me started!
    Ian is correct. We are going to be serving real Neapolitan style pizza from an 800 degree oven. We will also have a full bar with a great wine and beer selection, and offer a variety of small plates, pastas and some salads. Nobody in town is currently doing the style of pizza that we will serve.
    We think that we will have a very complementary relationship with The Pump next door.

"Wife and I were discussing this just the other day. We were fortunate enough to live in Naples for 3 years, and our Friday night ritual involved pizza from our favorite pizzeria. Hard to find anything even vaguely similar here. I realize it's purely anecdotal, but most of the pizzerias used wood for their ovens, not coal. Still, fast individual pizzas just like you described. Would love me some more.

ETA: Meant to ask: Do you think this restaurant will do pizza napoletana?"

Yessir! We will be doing the real Naples style pizza - 00 flour, using the only dough recipe that you are allowed to use with VPN pizza, and super high quality toppings, all cooked at 800 degrees for a minute or two... Can't wait to have you in!

19. Default Re: Pizzeria Gusto

Will there be any outdoor seating?

Yes... there will be a walled garden patio on the back of the building, adjacent to the parking lot.

Quote Originally Posted by calitook View Post
    Will there be any outdoor seating?

Quote Originally Posted by okiefoodie View Post
    Yes... there will be a walled garden patio on the back of the building, adjacent to the parking lot.
    Thanks so much for the info.

You can see the patio area in this recently-revised Rise site plan:

They posted this on their Facebook Page:

23. Default Re: Pizzeria Gusto

Hmm, looks like they are ignoring the central parapet element that seems to have existed. Oh, well. It's still going to look incredible.

Inside the World of Stefano Ferrara Pizza Ovens - Eater Features - Eater National

The also posted this on their facebook. Sounds great, I cannot wait!!

A peak inside from their Facebook page... Love that barrel roof:

Thread Information