Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cox vs Dish vs DirectTV...real costs??

Default Re: Cox vs Dish vs DirectTV...real costs??

Another thing on U-verse is that we ended up going with a higher priced package because I wanted some particular channel and I upgraded the Internet, too. We had never had DVR before and I have to say it has been really a good thing and very easily used.

I wired so I can receive over the air signal, satellite, and cable if I wanted to do it. We had experience with Cox, Direct, and Dish. But U-Verse became available about the time we moved in so I used it for Internet, telephone, and TV. My over-the-air is a rather simple antenna in the attic.

U-verse has been a good choice for us.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperChris7 View Post
    Oh, I apologize! I didn't see that Cox wasn't an option for you. If you are needing TV, Internet, and phone all in one. Plus if you can deal with the 4 shows, I would probably recommend AT&T for you. The picture is good from what I saw at the AT&T store. I have family members that have DISH, and they like it. Best of luck!

I read to my wife what I wrote, and she didn't disagree! She's a reality show junkie, so she hogs the TV.
    Oh, no apology, good grief. I really appreciate the good posts but just have to laugh at the notion that anyone in this household, except perhaps the younger dog, is technologically advanced enough to handle more than one channel at a time.

3. Default Re: Cox vs Dish vs DirectTV...real costs??

Speaking of DVR's, I love that commercial with four people aiming the remotes at each other like a gunfight, and the little girl says, "Happy Pony's on, and I'm not missing Happy Pony!"

I know the feeling, except it's with Samantha Harris! ;-)

Just a little of my experience.

We signed up for Dish originally because they had the largest number of Chinese language channels available, and we had non-English speaking family staying with us for the year. Later, we kept the service and just changed the plan. Really the only time in three years that we had any serious service interruption was when we had 60-70mph winds one night and the antenna kept moving and losing the signal (we keep the old attic antenna connected, so weather broadcasts are still available when this happens).

The only problem I have had with Dish is their poorly selected/trained installation contractors. One guy actually had to come out six times over five days to get everything working, fix the place on the roof he damaged, and fill the unnecessary/mistake holes he drilled in the walls. The last time we moved, it wasn't that bad though. Word of wisdom: whoever you choose, stay with the contractors at all times and always document any damage!

We have Cox for internet, and while it is, in my opinion, quite overpriced, it is very fast and very little downtime.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    I'm a (reasonably) happy Cox customer (phone, TV, 'net), but I also like to keep my options open.

I'm trying to get an apples-to-apples cost comparison for service comparable to what I have from other vendors, primarily focusing on TV service. Its nearly impossible to get such a comparison because of the layers of promotional prices that perpetuate the ads.

So, for those of you in satellite land, what do you have, and what does it cost you?

I presently have two rooms with HD boxes (one of which is a DVR), with two rooms (kids) with only plain cable (primarily because I can't exclude channels on a digital converter box, plus its $6 more a month). I'm intrigued by four-tuner, Internet-programmable, and multi-room DVRs, which Cox has talked about (at least some), but never delivered. And I think I'm seeing more and more compression artifacts on Cox's HD signal as they continue to deal with bandwidth issues...

So....if you're willing to share what you have and what it costs, I'd be appreciative. Be aware that I loathe all things ATT, so they start with several strikes against them...but I'll still listen to what they have...
    I've just read your post, no one else's. STAY WITH COX. FOR GOODNESS SAKE, STAY WITH COX!!!

I HATE directv, but I don't have much choice where I live. One block in every direction, and they have Cox...where I am, I gotta have some kind of satellite. They will say what you want to hear to get you signed up, then WHAM, your bill is about $50/month more than you thought it would be. They told us how great the onDemand thing was, but they don't have a contract with HBO, so you can't get anything from HBO on demand. (which is what I really wanted, they have my favorite shows)

PLUS When we moved in, we had ordered 4 receivers, but decided to have one more room set up for a receiver, in case we decided to put one in there. Well, we decided to, and they said that if they sent us one, it would cost some fee of $60 and it would take a few days...or we could just go to best buy and buy one. So I did that...got an HD DVR for $99. Then I learn that I didn't really buy it, i'm leasing it from the company. so even though I paid up front for it, i'm still paying a $5/mo fee for it AND if/when I change services, I have to give it back to them.

They suck...for all the same services/channels I got with Cox, I'm paying about $50-60 more per month.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonk View Post
    I've been with DTV since '97 with the exception of one horrible year of Dish network service. I'll never go back. If there was so much as a dark cloud in the sky the reception was horrible. In addition, the receiver was frustratingly slow to respond to input. Support was uncaring and at times rude. They eventually changed out the receiver after 5 or 6 calls but it made no difference. I went back to DTV as soon as my contract expired and have been very happy ever since.

I'm in a grandfathered plan that's no longer advertised, but a close match would be the "Choice Extra + DVR" with local channels for $65.99/month.
    ^^^

this too. They told us the dish was soooo much better now that it hardly ever goes out, even in thunderstorms. Lies. Lies, I tell you.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry View Post
    I have had DirecTV since '98 and I love it. I will never go back to cable. We have Choice +, TIVO DVR service, and 2 boxes. Our bill is $73/month. As for the weather issue, the only time we lose a signal is if really severe thunderstorms are directly overhead. We generally lose the signal for less than a minute. It seems once the dish gets coated in water the signal comes back. When it happens I just switch over to the rabbit ear antenna I have sitting on the floor behind the TV by pressing the input button on my remote a few times. Then I am able to watch local weather bulletins.

I have Bellsouth DSL (now ATT) bundled on the same bill so I save $10 on my DSL. As for the warning from decepticobra, I use to work in the Management Information Group for Convergys - DirectTV isn't evil, Convergys is evil.

Finally, one of the things I really like about DirecTV is when we go to the in-laws house in Kentucky the stations are the same. I don't have to hunt for the Travel Channel or the DIY Network. Plus, I can control my DVR at home through my cell phone (which I have had to do when dinner out runs longer than expected).

Next on my wish list is a sling box.
    They don't do TIVO anymore, they do some other thing. THey lost their contract with TIVO so that's not what you get now. the new thing sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by flippity View Post
    They don't do TIVO anymore, they do some other thing. THey lost their contract with TIVO so that's not what you get now. the new thing sucks.
    Directv owns Tivo now...

What happened was Tivo wanted more in licensing fees so Directv went out on there own because Rupert Murdoch owned a software company that wrote the software for his other sat. systems in Europe and Australia. Tivo lost pretty much all their licensing agreements with sat/cable providers due to their desire to raise fees, but they did win their patent lawsuit against Dish. Soon after that ruling, Liberty Media (now the owner of Directv) bought Tivo and there are plans for reintroducing it into the Directv DVR lineup, they also have no ties to NDS anymore since Murdoch is no longer the Directv owner. I have had both, to me the are the same thing, just different, both had things that I thought were useful and other things which were downright goofy.

Slightly off topic (and yes, I will call Cox customer service later):

Has anyone had problems with their Cox cable box turning itself off repeatedly during the last couple of days? I had presumed that it was some sort of software update, but when it happened twice in the span of two hours, I began to wonder.

I haven't received any frantic, angry phone calls from the house yet, so I'm guessing it's still on as I write.

Quote Originally Posted by drumsncode View Post
    Speaking of DVR's, I love that commercial with four people aiming the remotes at each other like a gunfight, and the little girl says, "Happy Pony's on, and I'm not missing Happy Pony!"

I know the feeling, except it's with Samantha Harris! ;-)

Ditto drums - I chuckle everytime I see that....

Quote Originally Posted by AAC2005 View Post
    Slightly off topic (and yes, I will call Cox customer service later):

Has anyone had problems with their Cox cable box turning itself off repeatedly during the last couple of days? I had presumed that it was some sort of software update, but when it happened twice in the span of two hours, I began to wonder.

I haven't received any frantic, angry phone calls from the house yet, so I'm guessing it's still on as I write.
    I can't believe this! I'm having the same issue. Where are you located? They've replaced the box 3 times in about 3.5 years. They just came out on Monday, and put a booster on my line. Low and behold, came home, the box reset again. I have 3. Do you have more than 1? If so, is it just one of them? Mine is on the same line as the cable modem. I can't help but think it has something to do with that. They keep saying no. I'm so frustrated with it. I have a Motorola SB4100 modem. Any techies out there that can offer help?

Several years ago I had Cox schedule appts for me to be at home 3 times over an issue with losing the TV signal. Each time they tested the connection to my house both inside & at the box in the yard. Still had the same problem.
    Two weeks later after other neighbors complained (I eventually spoke with them and they told me theirs was going out too) they went down to the end of the block and did something in their big switch box. No more problems after that but I wasn't happy about the 3 appointments so the tech could recheck what they'd already checked. Very happy Dishnetwork customer now.

Is it a DVR? Could it be overheating and rebooting because of that?

Quote Originally Posted by dismayed View Post
    Is it a DVR? Could it be overheating and rebooting because of that?
    It's a DVR, but it's not overheating. It does it when the box is off. It's almost like something is causing it to shut off. Cox says it's because it loses the signal. That's funny because if you unplug the cable from the wall it doesn't reset. You can put the cable right back in, and it comes right back on. It is so aggravating. Like the post above said. It has something to do with their node box, but they won't do anything about it. I need to talk to some of my neighbors.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperChris7 View Post
    It's a DVR, but it's not overheating. It does it when the box is off. It's almost like something is causing it to shut off. Cox says it's because it loses the signal. That's funny because if you unplug the cable from the wall it doesn't reset. You can put the cable right back in, and it comes right back on. It is so aggravating. Like the post above said. It has something to do with their node box, but they won't do anything about it. I need to talk to some of my neighbors.
    My experience with Cox is that it all depends upon who you get for the service call.

A few seem to go out of their way to find reasons why it can't be their fault and it can't be fixed. And to be fair, if you consider telephone, TV, and Internet there are a good many possible reasons.

Another few figure out how to fix the problem whatever it is and ignore fault finding. They'll even hold the ticket and keep working with you until you're happy. It's just that you can't figure out how to always get these techs.

The others try to fix whatever it is as best they know how. Mostly they seem interested to closing the ticket. When they leave you're pretty sure you'll have to call them again.

The secret seems to be consistently and persistently calling them out. But it does take some dedication and good record keeping helps. A side benefit is that it builds patience.

Cox isn't so much different than anyone else I've dealt with though.

Ok, this is strange. The cable box reset itself again today. This is the second time I've noticed it doing it when I turn the computer on. The box, and the computer are both on the same outlet. I have a power strip, and battery back up plugged into the same outlet. Could it have something to do with the current being drawn from other electronics causing the box to reset. Now, the lights don't dim, and nothing else shuts off so I know I don't have an overloaded fuse. The whole room is on the same breaker. Is it possible that it's the draw on the outlet? Should I try plugging the computer into another outlet to see if that helps? It may be just a coincidence. It has to be something in this room. The other 2 boxes in the house work just fine. The only things that are different is the computer on the same outlet, and the cable modem being split on the same cable jack.

Prunepicker Guest

Default Re: Cox vs Dish vs DirectTV... real costs?

Prunette and I have no problem with Cox. There have been a few times
    when we've needed to call and get assistance, but the problem was resolved.

I'd like to have more options for viewing instead of having to pay for Mexican
    TV. Can't they come up with a package for Si Habla and No Habla?

I have a cousin who had Dish TV and told me that she never had any problem
    unless it was raining in Seattle.

I'm going to read more of these posts in order to acquire more input.

I wonder if we'll ever see cable & satellite companies selling programming on an ala carte basis?

Quote Originally Posted by stick47 View Post
    I wonder if we'll ever see cable & satellite companies selling programming on an ala carte basis?
    The networks don't want it, in most cases their ad rates are based on how many number of homes they are in and therefore potential viewers, they would just shut down networks and raise rates on the popular ones. Most special interest networks would go away.

Thread Information