Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Nfl in okc

Default Re: Nfl in okc

I love the enthusiasm, but OKC is just not ready or deserving of a second pro franchise yet. There are a ton of cities with way more people and money to spend. Again, while optimistic, this whole idea is very naive at this point. Sorry.

2. Default Re: Nfl in okc

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    I said this on several forums in 1996 that OKC would get an NHL or NBA franchise with in the next decade and I was hearing these same ole stale comments then, that I am hearing now...
    An NBA or NHL franchise is much easier to support than an NFL team. Apples and oranges. Why is it so hard to understand that? Yes it would be amazing to get a large franchise like that...but OKC has tons of growing up to do first.

As previously stated, Green Bay would have no chance to land an NFL team the way the league is currently structured. It is one of the founding members of the NFL and in fact has special conditions which allows them to remain in the league. Using Green Bay as a comparison as to how a small market team is able to compete is ludicrous, it mainly draws from Milwaukee and since they have been around since the inception of the league and one of its cornerstones they have developed a huge following of people who have never stepped foot in the entire state of Wisconsin let alone the City of Milwaukee or the Village of Green Bay. They are a special case and cannot really be used in any kind of comparison. Jacksonville is the closest comparison to OKC and everyone knows they are having issues, they also don't have 80 or so years of a fan base built up like a Green Bay and OKC wouldn't either. Some of the same things apply to the Buffalo Bills, they would never land a team in today's NFL. The only reason why the Saints are not in San Antonio is because the NFL told Tom Benson he couldn't move the team, he wanted to even before Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans but the NFL didn't want the stigma of "taking away New Orleans team" after the hurricane and Benson got help from the league to keep the team there. You think the backlash of the Sonics becoming the Thunder was/is bad, you could not imagine what the public reaction would have been if the Saints would have successfully moved to San Antonio after Katrina.

I have no doubt there are enough football fans in OKC that would like a team, but NFL teams don't make their money off the "Average Joe Fan". The AJF isn't going to spend double what OU season tickets cost and then an additional $5-25,000 in personal seat licenses for the opportunity to buy season tickets. They also aren't going to fill the luxury suites which is the major cash cow for the teams, let alone the television market size of OKC/Tulsa isn't going to bring a huge amount of money in terms of the national television contracts which is the primary money maker for the NFL and its teams. Check out what NFL season tickets cost (most of the teams have the info on their websites) and tell me that you can find 40,000 seats worth in OKC to pay what the league average is and then another 15-20,000 seats worth of suite and club level season ticket/PSL buyers. I get emails from the KC Chiefs about season tickets every year, theirs are downright affordable (in comparison to other NFL teams) because the Chiefs have been bad in recent years and they haven't been able to sell enough season tickets. KC is a larger market than OKC and has only one other of the Big 4 franchises (the Royals, they do have MLS as well) and are 50 year old or so franchise with a Superbowl title but yet they are still having problems as the KC market has been losing headquarters and major employers. To make the NFL work you have to have those corporations which are willing to spend "stupid money" on the luxury items like suites. If you don't have that, that is when teams relocate if they aren't tied to a city by a local owner who is willing to take a loss by not having the right facility and/or market. The NFL would never approve of a relocation or an expansion team to a market like OKC because 99.9% of what they care about is television market size and OKC isn't in the top 30 markets.

As much as I would be thrilled to see OKC with a team I don't want one there just to have it fail because the economics of the NFL are unlike any other professional sport outside of the English Premier League in terms of the cost of doing business at the local level.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by venture79 View Post
    An NBA or NHL franchise is much easier to support than an NFL team. Apples and oranges. Why is it so hard to understand that? Yes it would be amazing to get a large franchise like that...but OKC has tons of growing up to do first.
    What is so difficult for you to understand about 2017-2020(?):
    Time will tell! I'm not taking this personal; I gave my opinion and you gave yours! Thank you!

Thread Information