Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Huge mixed used project proposed north of Quail Springs

Default Re: Huge mixed used project proposed north of Quail Springs

Austin may be a smaller market for them but they probably have a higher percentage of people in that market that are their target demographic.

2. Default Re: Huge mixed used project proposed north of Quail Springs

One note, looks like it's moving right along.

They are accepting commercial construction bids on the 16 screen theater.
    " You've Been Thunder Struck ! "

Unfortunately I had to drive up in this area on Thursday (man, NW 150th is pothole city). Here is the latest on the progress. They had tons of crews out there and appeared to be working dilegently on this. I guess on the bright side is that it will bring some much needed density to suburbia and we should finally get an Urban Outfitters and other retailers in the metro:

the sign says "Upscale Urban Community", that seems funny to me, considering the location.

Yeah, not too urban. Perhaps they think the "feel" will be urban. I avoid the Memorial/Penn corner like the plague, so they will have to have some unique and great stores to get me up there, and I'd not consider living there. Urban is downtown to me.

6. Default Re: Huge mixed used project proposed north of Quail Springs

Well, it will be somewhat urban within itself, even if it's surrounded by suburban development.

MikeOKC, I thought I'd revive this thread for you since you've been wanting more info on the project.

I will put in my two cents. My wife and I went to Home Depot (North of Memorial and Penn) and on the way back cut across the North Quail Springs Mall parking lot. there was a lot of dirtwork going on there, but no structures or foundations for that matter being started.

I love how every new development no matter the location or size is considered "upscale." But I do think if this is done right it can be a great development, minus the lack of easy access. This is something that needs to be right off of the turnpike. And maybe Ill be wrong, but I dont see them bringing in any new retailers that we havent seen already.

Has Urban Outfitters been confirmed or is it wishful thinking on our part? I love that store!!!

11. Default Re: Huge mixed used project proposed north of Quail Springs

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    MikeOKC, I thought I'd revive this thread for you since you've been wanting more info on the project.
    Thanks Metro! Good reading and it sounds like it could be similar to what we were talking about in that other thread.

wow i just went to the developers site and looked at the plans for this, it is goin to be Oh so nice, i can't wait!

Say goodbye to Quail Springs Mall. That area can't sustain two mega retail complexes.

Quote Originally Posted by JLCinOKC View Post
    Has Urban Outfitters been confirmed or is it wishful thinking on our part? I love that store!!!
    Wishful thinking.

I was told that Urban and Anthropologie look at catalog sales when determining new locations. So, if you're an Urban or Anthropologie fan, don't wait to go to Dallas to buy there.....buy from their catalogs. They've got an incredibly fair return policy so that is never a concern.

16. Default Re: Huge mixed used project proposed north of Quail Springs

with the experience I have had in urban stores, the catalog is wayyy better.

on another note I drove by there today (150th and May is woeful) and it was all scalped off. they took down the quail springs village sign on the property.

I hope the development is something to Market Street that they have in The Woodlands, Texas. It is located right next to the woodland mall (which is pretty nice).

Market Street - The Woodlands

17. Default Re: Huge mixed used project proposed north of Quail Springs

what's the developers website, i can't seem to find it anywhere...

Quote Originally Posted by worthy cook
    I hope the development is something to Market Street that they have in The Woodlands, Texas. It is located right next to the woodland mall (which is pretty nice).
    Proof that both Quail Springs Mall and the town square can co-exist. The mall will have traditional retailers, while the town center may have specialty retailers like Urban and Anthropologie.

After looking at their website. . . quite an ambitious development. It will take a long time to be fully developed.

Quote Originally Posted by jsenter View Post
    Say goodbye to Quail Springs Mall. That area can't sustain two mega retail complexes.
    This will easily be supported, as will the 'third' Quail Springs project @ Memorial & Western.

22. Default Re: Huge mixed used project proposed north of Quail Springs

Has anyone heard anything on this lately? I drove by it a few days ago and it didn't seem like a whole lot was going on.

Quote Originally Posted by jsenter View Post
    Quail Springs better change its marketing if its to survive. Mid-tier family oriented malls can't compete with the big box retail and lifestyle centers today. Malls today have to go upscale of they are to survive. Quail should evict the movie theater and bring in Nordstrom or Saks and give the mall a makeover.

24. Default Re: Huge mixed used project proposed north of Quail Springs

The movie theater is probably the #1 draw to Quail Springs Mall. Actually I would bet that it is definitely and by far the #1 draw. Maybe not when Warren Theater builds at Rockwell and Memorial as they are planning, though.

It will be interesting to see how Quail adapts- hopefully they will adapt to embrace and become more connected to this new urban community to their north.

IMO I don't think it is going to happen anytime soon. The new Warren theater will be built before the they finally get off their butts and put a shovel in the dirt for this new "upscale" development. I have noticed that they have taken down the "Coming Soon" signs both on May and Penn. The pictures posted with all the equipment was for the work they did widening 150th, not the new development.

Thread Information