Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Target at SW 44 and S. Western

1. Default Re: Super Target at SW 44 and S. Western is going out of business (Aug. 2016)

The the three reasons I often shop this location....

1.) I'm in the area frequently.
    2.) They are never very busy (during the day when I go).
    3.) Their clearance items/prices are the best I've ever found.

Default Re: Super Target at SW 44 and S. Western is going out of business (Aug. 2016)

This Target that's going out of business isn't a Super Target. Quail, Edmond, and Norman are the only Super Target's that are nearby.

Default Re: Super Target at SW 44 and S. Western is going out of business (Aug. 2016)

Maybe perhaps they are looking to build a new one in the airport development?

I seriously doubt this is due to planning another store because nothing has even been announced yet.

Usually in such a case, they wait until the new one is open then shift existing employees.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I seriously doubt this is due to planning another store because nothing has even been announced yet.

Usually in such a case, they wait until the new one is open then shift existing employees.
    I'm inclined to agree - especially since the rumors over a Target at 104th faded a *looong* time ago, right around the time the built the one in Moore, and I figured that pretty much put an end to the idea. With Target shuttering stores, it doesn't seem likely a new one is going up...

And with how long it's taken them to do anything other than the road over by the airport development it could be years before anything goes in there.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/05/26/inve...man/index.html

Speaking of sears, it looks like they are doing away with the only thing that distinguishes them. It won't be long now.

I wonder if the new abortion clinic that is planning to open just down the street played a part with the upcoming closure of Target?

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    I wonder if the new abortion clinic that is planning to open just down the street played a part with the upcoming closure of Target?
    Making that connection takes a larger suspension of disbelief than I can muster, and I am a Superman fan, I watch Supergirl, I watch The Flash, I watch Legends of Tomorrow.

I can believe in people flying, running faster than the speed of light, and time travel, but I can't believe in that, is what I am saying here.

Quote Originally Posted by stile99 View Post
    Making that connection takes a larger suspension of disbelief than I can muster, and I am a Superman fan, I watch Supergirl, I watch The Flash, I watch Legends of Tomorrow.

I can believe in people flying, running faster than the speed of light, and time travel, but I can't believe in that, is what I am saying here.
    +100

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    It's more likely that #BoycottTarget played a part, and that is quite unlikely.

Insider information here.

This Target has been in the bottom (like bottom 5%) for sales volume among all stores in the company since the Moore location opened in 2011. Target was constantly toying with the labor structure at this store, trying to see how little they could put into it and still run it. In one recent year they were a part of a company test in extremely low volume stores where they would only begin unloading the truck 30 minutes before the store opened. Shortage was about the company average, but even a few hundred thousand is a notable percentage of this store's total yearly volume. Pharmacy was also a pretty big sales driver for this store, but that side of the business was transferred to CVS a few months ago. The company had also sunk some significant capital maintenance projects into this store in recent years, and probably had more coming.

There's speculation that Integris wants the property. I've heard they've made offers to Sears a few times already and Sears keeps turning them down. Watching what happens to Ace will be a key indicator of whether that was the case. If it turns out someone was offering Target something for the property, it wouldn't surprise me that Target decided they could make more money in the short term than they would see in profits from the store over the next 5 years. This in addition to the fact that North May, Moore, and Midwest City will probably absorb enough lost business from the 44th and Western store to make up for loss in profit.

There are no current plans to build any more stores in the OKC area.

Rest assured, this has nothing to do with bathrooms, abortion clinics, or any other Facebook issues your grandma is concerned with.

^^^ This makes sense.

Growing up, the SW 44th Target was the only store in the south metro. Whether you lived in Moore, SW OKC, or SE OKC over by Tinker, this was the Target you went to when you wanted to go. Even then, I remember it being pretty run down compared to the north metro stores. Since Moore, Norman, and Midwest City now have their own Target stores, a large portion of the old customer base for the 44th and Western store now goes to other locations.

14. Default Re: Super Target at SW 44 and S. Western is going out of business (Aug. 2016)

As a couple of others have said. I like going to this Target because it's never busy. I have a lot of former favorite businesses that were favorites because they were never busy. What's good for me was bad for them.

15. Default Re: Super Target at SW 44 and S. Western is going out of business (Aug. 2016)

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    http://money.cnn.com/2016/05/26/inve...man/index.html

Speaking of sears, it looks like they are doing away with the only thing that distinguishes them. It won't be long now.
    If Sears sells off Kenmore and Craftsman what else is there? Pretty much nothing.

There are for sale signs on the north portion of the Sears parking lot.

17. Default Re: Super Target at SW 44 and S. Western is going out of business (Aug. 2016)

My friend used to live on a street just East of Ace / Target, although small, it is a great store, especially after they put in the improvements and increased their groceries. There are things I could find in this Target I couldn't find in Norman. Sad that this store is going away. It isn't like it is run down like the Homelands. Target actually put money in this small store to keep it lively.

Quote Originally Posted by AnguisHerba View Post
    This Target has been in the bottom (like bottom 5%) for sales volume among all stores in the company since the Moore location opened in 2011. Target was constantly toying with the labor structure at this store, trying to see how little they could put into it and still run it.
    In your opinion, what percentage of the closure is due to the Moore store, and what percentage is due to management half-assing it?

This Target has been in the bottom (like bottom 5%) for sales volume among all stores in the company since the Moore location opened in 2011. Target was constantly toying with the labor structure at this store, trying to see how little they could put into it and still run it. In one recent year they were a part of a company test in extremely low volume stores where they would only begin unloading the truck 30 minutes before the store opened. Shortage was about the company average, but even a few hundred thousand is a notable percentage of this store's total yearly volume. Pharmacy was also a pretty big sales driver for this store, but that side of the business was transferred to CVS a few months ago. The company had also sunk some significant capital maintenance projects into this store in recent years, and probably had more coming.

There's speculation that Integris wants the property. I've heard they've made offers to Sears a few times already and Sears keeps turning them down. Watching what happens to Ace will be a key indicator of whether that was the case. If it turns out someone was offering Target something for the property, it wouldn't surprise me that Target decided they could make more money in the short term than they would see in profits from the store over the next 5 years. This in addition to the fact that North May, Moore, and Midwest City will probably absorb enough lost business from the 44th and Western store to make up for loss in profit.

Rest assured, this has nothing to do with bathrooms, abortion clinics, or any other Facebook issues your grandma is concerned with.
    Thanks very much for the info.! Interesting stuff.

Great info thanks for sharing.

From Will, taken today. Closes 8/20.

22. Default Re: Super Target at SW 44 and S. Western is going out of business (Aug. 2016)

Has to be the worst store closing in history (for bargain shoppers). They clearance'd the clothing and marked some things down a little bit - but the bulk of the merchandise simply went to other stores.

I was hoping for some really good mark downs. O'well.

Sad to see this Target close.

I shopped there quite a bit when I worked downtown because it was an easy drive down Western.

It was never anywhere near as busy as the one I now go to at 50th & N. May.

Really going to miss this store because it was just a little more than a mile from my house. Very convenient when I didn't want to deal with Walmart (which is almost always).

Thread Information