Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sun Cattle

Default Re: Sun Cattle

Quote Originally Posted by gjl View Post
    Just roll the 3-4% into the cost of the product. If adding that to the cost of whatever you are selling is going to make you not able to attract customers then you probably shouldn't be in that business. Don't even offer a paying in cash discount. That just complicates things at the point of sale.

Or be like Winco and drop CCs completely. They only accept debit cards and cash now because apparently merchant fees are less on debit than credit. Probably easier for a large company like that to do it than a burger shop without losing too many customers. Although as already posted here, having a line item CC fee for a burger shop is costing them customers.
    I hate CC fees, but I take them with a smile. At least to the customer. Don't like 'em, don't take 'em.

Because of the way my business operates, my average CC transaction is over $500. With consolidation in the processing companies and banks, total fees and charges can get up to between 5 and 8%. Had a customer last week who was sent a $1200 insurance payment that was supposed to come to me. He offered to give me CC over the phone. That high an amount with no card or signature could cost me $80-100. Do I take the card and have money in 3 days, wait for him to come by, or go pick it up at his office 5 miles away as a service?

From what I understand, merchants can negotiate with card processors for their rate and those rates can vary based on anti-fraud measures the merchant has in place, among other variables.

I haven't heard. Did anything ever come of this?

https://www.yahoo.com/now/congress-t...230534246.html

Blog Entries

My wife reminded me that there is a fee for using credit cards for license from the tag agency.

Quote Originally Posted by Mott View Post
    My wife reminded me that there is a fee for using credit cards for license from the tag agency.
    Yep. That's one of the few places I still write checks.

I've noticed Abels started doing this within the last year or so but offer a cash discount. I don't like it but it's better than the hassle of cash IMO and won't keep us from going there.

I feel like it should be rolled into the cost of menu pricing already, same with liquor tax, as it leaves a bad taste in the customers mouth. That said I also know how tough the restaurant biz is and the bottom line is razor thin in most cases and has been particularly tough since 2020, raging inflation now, etc. Of course most of these same places doing this also took questionable PPP money all the way to the bank.

Quote Originally Posted by MagzOK View Post
    From what I understand, merchants can negotiate with card processors for their rate and those rates can vary based on anti-fraud measures the merchant has in place, among other variables.
    You are correct. I’ve recently been part of one of these negotiations and we were able to lower our rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuplar View Post
    You are correct. I’ve recently been part of one of these negotiations and we were able to lower our rate.
    Sure, you can negotiate items. But the number of companies processing credit card transactions consolidate and become more interlinked with business banking, credit lines, check deposit availability time, loan securitization obligations, etc.

Yep. That's one of the few places I still write checks.
    Ha, ditto.

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    Sure, you can negotiate items. But the number of companies processing credit card transactions consolidate and become more interlinked with business banking, credit lines, check deposit availability time, loan securitization obligations, etc.
    I’m really not sure what you are trying to say.

No one is locked into one provider and there are a few to choose from. There is also constantly start-up Fintechs trying to save people money in this particular area. I do not buy the narrative that people have no choice or even limited choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    I hate CC fees, but I take them with a smile. At least to the customer. Don't like 'em, don't take 'em.

Because of the way my business operates, my average CC transaction is over $500. With consolidation in the processing companies and banks, total fees and charges can get up to between 5 and 8%. Had a customer last week who was sent a $1200 insurance payment that was supposed to come to me. He offered to give me CC over the phone. That high an amount with no card or signature could cost me $80-100. Do I take the card and have money in 3 days, wait for him to come by, or go pick it up at his office 5 miles away as a service?
    My cc transactions are usually 500 and up. We just audited out bill and I am paying approx 3.2%. (that includes the surcharges for reward cards, etc) You should probably shop your provider around as that is super high

Do they ask for a tip when you order on top of cc fees? That's becoming more common too. Places like Jersey Mikes when you pay the machine ask for a tip. You can select no tip which I do while they look at me. No I am not going to tip you for making my sandwich lol.

Blog Entries

^Yes there is a tip request page on the cc machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Wishbone View Post
    Do they ask for a tip when you order on top of cc fees? That's becoming more common too. Places like Jersey Mikes when you pay the machine ask for a tip. You can select no tip which I do while they look at me. No I am not going to tip you for making my sandwich lol.
    i like you had the tip line at places like jersey mikes .

i will say at sun cattle and other places that have bar service they use the same pos system so having a tip line is reasonable

Quote Originally Posted by Wishbone View Post
    clearly you've never worked in food service lol

anyone who only makes minimum wage for making sandwiches or whatever absolutely deserves tips

I'm here now. Order took about 10 minutes. There is also a sign on the door that says dine in only while they get things sorted out.

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceGuy View Post
    clearly you've never worked in food service lol

anyone who only makes minimum wage for making sandwiches or whatever absolutely deserves tips
    so you tip at mcdonalds? wendys? how about at lowes ??

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Beard Face View Post
    I went by for lunch yesterday and yeah, it was crazy slammed, but they also could have mentioned there were over 50 orders ahead of me, which resulted in me waiting over 1 hour for the big jack I ordered. I was expecting a long wait, but not that long. The burger itself was fine, didn't taste seasoned at all, and most of the burger flavor was the sauce. I was also laughing at seeing a bag of Great Value crowns being divided up and sold for $6 a serving, one serving pays for 2 full bags! I happen to think they are delicious, but they didn't seem to even season them. The onion rings were being battered right before cooking, so i do think those might be more worth it, but i didn't try any sides. I'll try again when it has calmed down. I think the burgers at Bar Arbodala are much better, but I like the expanded options at Sun Cattle.
    My wife and I did our Date Night there on Friday night. Sure it was busy, but we ordered (2) small burgers and some onion rings and found a place to sit. It took 45 minutes to get our food. And TBH, it wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either. Definitely not good enough for a 45-minute wait. We won't be back for awhile. Also, the drink machine was already OOO.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuplar View Post
    I’m really not sure what you are trying to say.

No one is locked into one provider and there are a few to choose from. There is also constantly start-up Fintechs trying to save people money in this particular area. I do not buy the narrative that people have no choice or even limited choice.
    And some of those start ups have been bought out by the big guys.

Even though I almost always use cc's I have no problem if businesses add a surcharge on cc purchases since the big banks continue to increase rates. Why should a cash payer have to foot some of that bill? If you ask me cc fees are very predatory and monopolistic. Someone mentioned above about being illegal to add surcharge but I dont think thats the case. Even OGE adds a charge if you pay by cc.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    so you tip at mcdonalds? wendys? how about at lowes ??
    anywhere that gives me the option to tip, yeah, i absolutely do.

i tip at starbucks, sonic, jimmy johns, etc. every time. because a couple bucks to me isn't a big deal, but to someone making minimum wage (a number that hasn't changed in FOURTEEN years), a couple bucks/person makes a huge difference. i've been on that side before.

Is anyone truly making minimum wages at those places. I thought everyone had to up their starting pay just to get anyone to work these days.

Blog Entries

Is anyone truly making minimum wages at those places. I thought everyone had to up their starting pay just to get anyone to work these days.
    Still not a living wage. Still not keeping up. Still need the help.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Still not a living wage. Still not keeping up. Still need the help.
    Whose livable wage? How do you determine that? Do you figure in education level, etc? Just curious? Should college grad make the same as a HS grad? Does a degree matter if you actually are the guy at the grill flipping burgers? Should you make the same even if you only have a HS degree v. a college degree or is the job position worth just that much wage regardless of education? Not just trying to be argumentative but I think these are legit questions? I went 100k in debt to get my law degree but that is irrelevant if I am flipping beef patties that a $10/hour employee can do.

There is also a big assumption that the tips are shared with the kitchen staff who tends to be lower paid minorities/immigrants that are doing the real work versus the guy at the counter. That being said...i generally do the extra tip also as it means a lot more to them as it does to me.

Didn't mean to start a battle. Its just I would expect to tip someone for bringing me my food, refilling my drink, etc. Not for just doing your job and taking my order. That's all Im saying.

Minimum wage remains $7.25/hr. For servers and people who make tips, I believe it is still $2.15/HR (same for past 20years)
    Living wage was discussed by MIT prof in 2004, and this page from them is handy reference
    https://livingwage.mit.edu/pages/about

Thread Information