Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bicentennial Park

Default Re: Bicentennial Park

Seems they need to utilize the stage that's at the end more which would fill the front space with music..

I also didn't care for the food being split and the two stages on either side of the civic center seemed somewhat isolated. I spoke with one of the artists located near the main stage and he said it was too loud when bands were playing to talk with potential customers. I didn't witness that, but if true, something that will need to be considered next year.

I liked the new location okay, may take another year to fully grow on me. I was there Friday afternoon and it was very warm. I certainly did miss the large, cool grassy areas and trees of the MBG where you could grab a beer and sit and relax. No places like that at the civic center, or none that I found anyway.

I really like the setting. A few of the booth locations sucked from an artist perspective but there are always bad locations at every show. Good mix of artists and mediums but did seem a bit heavy on equestrian art. I attend and/or participate in art festivals all over the region (I was an artist at the Lubbock Arts Festival the week before OKC) and it is unusual that I see a new art style. OkC has done a great job the last two years bringing in different art styles that are new and not being done by everyone. The level of skill and artistry displayed by some of these artists was outstanding and shows why OKC is considered one of the top shows in the region. The other top shows in our region are Main Street in Ft Worth and Bayou Arts Fest in Houston. (I have been an artist at Bayou and it is a great show.)

As far as food, it seemed the catfish place was very popular based on the lines when we went. (We went most every day). Missed Sammy's Pizza being there. Tried the new pizza place but wasn't the same. The food seemed uninspiring this year and most everything we tried tasted prepackaged frozen,,,especially the meatballs in the moinks,

Jeep, because you're experienced in this let me ask you a question about pricing of the art. Everything seems so expensive! I've heard that the show takes a 25% cut of all that's sold. Is that correct? If so, do the artists generally raise their prices for when they travel? Or (and I can take it, really, if you need to say it) are we just cheap and the prices are all right?

I reported this to the Action Center:

Thread Information