Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: When can we get a precinct breakdown of MAPS 3 vote?

1. Default Re: When can we get a precinct breakdown of MAPS 3 vote?

Quote Originally Posted by rcjunkie View Post
    I know of several that are upset w/Mr. Walters, not over his stance against MAPS, but the way he handled it from the start. When the Council voted on MAPS3, they were voting to send it to a vote by the people, they were not voting their approval of the identified projects, and most of the ones I have spoken with felt as though he was trying to deny them their right as a citizen to vote on this MAPS proposal, myself included.
    I know of at least 3 very prominent citizens (one a former councilman) that are seriously considering running against Mr. Walters when he's up for re-election. In my opinion, I seriouslt doubt that he runs fro re-election, I think he knows he's a one term council memember, and I think he'll announce that he's not seeking re-election.
    I don't think he's going to be done with politics. He's too ambitious and too rubber-stamped Republican. It just turns out that there was no room for a rubber-stamped Republican on the Horseshoe.

On the other hand I hope Foshee comes back and retakes that ward.

Default Re: When can we get a precinct breakdown of MAPS 3 vote?

you can get this info from election board. $1 per page, sometimes less if your nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    On the other hand I hope Foshee comes back and retakes that ward.
    Amen and hallelueah!

Wow, the two things I find interesting from that poll is 1) 49.2% consider themselves liberal or moderate (in Oklahoma, us moderates are considered liberal, lol) and 2) only 12.2% of that sample was below the age of 45. This is remarkable in that a)who would have thought that high of number of lib/mods in THIS AGE BRACKET? and b)it probably shows that land lines are much more rare among those below age 45. Interesting.

That was my issue with Brian Walters, not that he opposed MAPS (although I didn't agree with him) but that he voted to not let the people of OKC vote on it.

Quote Originally Posted by tehvipir View Post
    Andy,

No it will not hurt the crew that took too long to get there. when emsa is at level 6 or below i believe (which means on 6 ambulances inthe city ready for a call) then they are not held accountable if they bite calls. same as if the call is way out east or west it doesnt count, nor if there is construction or wet roads or traffic or a red light or a train or getting behind a fire engine whom doesnt drive as fast as a 1 ton ambulance. All of those make it so their numbers dont go down. they are call (exceptions) the numbers are 8:59 for serious calls and 12:59 for non serious. EMSA also has to meet helicopters at teh baptist helipad and mercy helipad and sometimes Presby to transfer pt into the hospital and at times they have amublance running hot to meet the helicopter.

I necessary dont want the emsa people to be out of a job but like barnold says it all depends on the models. SAlt lake city for example uses southwest (like EMSA) but they staff the ambulance in the firehouse with the crews and work the same shifts so they get to know on another and work as a team. other fd have completely taken over and have bunker gear in the ambulances and when there is a fire they gret dressed and meet on scene. the down fall is that you have a LOT more units on an already crowded scene.

As for taking over i know many FF/paramedics that dont want to transport people. Not because they dont care about the citizens. it is hard to explain but some people love the transporting and others dont. i have been a transport medic for 4 years now 3 at EMSA partime now and i would rather be on the engine than be on the ambulance. I did a fair share of sitting 12 hors a day 4-5 days a week in a truck. that sucks. but i myself would rather not transport and i know lot of the ff share the same feelings. I also know many people at emsa who would like fire to take over but they dont ant to fight fire and like being on the ambulance. so I feel that the best model would take some of EMSA people and possibly depending n physical tests (for retirement and wellness) be allowed to be transferred to the fire department. kind of a lateral transfer from emsa to fd but they stay on the truck. i am also for possible giving them blue or a different color PPE like extrication gear so they would be able to climb in a car and provide tx of a pt but not allowed to go into a fire. thats my opion and i would like to get on the board that looks for the best model for the fd.

on a side note about getting to know the crews. It is hard for a relationship to come between fire and EMSA. there are so many new people at EMSA that its hard knowing how well of a paramedic they are or how much help they may need. The old EMSA before Dr goodloe took over EMSA (and SOME of the old timers) really bash on the fd paramedics and fd in general and being new lots of new people hear these things and come off with attitude of the fd being idiots and treat them like 2 year olds. now that doesnt happen alot but it happens. When i went through the emsa academy 3 years ago they also bashed fire and said to make them lift all the patients because fire has better insurance if they hurt thier backs. I heard stuff like that isnt said anymore but i got hired at the last contract deadline and everyone was running around scared.

either way its going to take some research before we find the right model that fits the size and pop of OKC.
    Thanks for your thoughts. It has been awhile since I have dealt with those issues. As it pertains to the EMSA street paramedics, I respect the work they do, and have no problem with them whatsoever, they do a wonderful job. I'm not a fan of the way EMSA is set-up. In my opinion there is a huge amount of money needlessly spent on administrative overhead and profits going to ParamedicsPlus. (NOTE: Before someone jumps on me claiming that I'm pissed off because they gave $5,000. to MAPS. Save it. That was and has been my position long before MAPS.)

Thanks for clearing up the 8:59 v. 7:59 issue. Was I wrong, or has it been changed? My point was/is they used to take ambulances off the street to boost profit margines and increase their bottom line. The flip side to that is, if they where in danger of getting slapped with a fine due to slow response times they would flood the street with ambulances.

IMHO that was wrong, if it still happens IMHO it still is. The morol to the story. If you were sick or injured, and in need of an ambulance, hope to GOD it happened when they were flooding the streets to avoid a fine. Because if it were to happen during their profit taking period you may have been SOL. P.S... So as not to hijack, this topic should be discussed in it's own thread. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by OSUFan View Post
    That was my issue with Brian Walters, not that he opposed MAPS (although I didn't agree with him) but that he voted to not let the people of OKC vote on it.
    I spoke to him. He asked me if I actually understood the question. I found him unconsciously patronizing.

Quote Originally Posted by flintysooner View Post
    I spoke to him. He asked me if I actually understood the question. I found him unconsciously patronizing.
    Can't blame you for that. He is my Councilman also and I agree, he should have stated his opposition and his reasons why and then voted to send it to a vote. Much in the same manor as Skip Kelly did difference being that he was supportive of MAPS. Councilman Kelly's point that the people should be allowed to decide the issue at the ballot box was absolutly right, I just wish it hadn't taken 20 minutes of rambling to make it.

9. Default Re: When can we get a precinct breakdown of MAPS 3 vote?

Kelly is pretty good. He knows he represents another very anti-MAPS part of the city, but without stalling the passage of MAPS or trying to kill it outright like Walters, he just lets the people decide it.

I don't see Kelly's section as anti-Maps.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePlainsman View Post
    Wow, the two things I find interesting from that poll is 1) 49.2% consider themselves liberal or moderate (in Oklahoma, us moderates are considered liberal, lol) and 2) only 12.2% of that sample was below the age of 45. This is remarkable in that a)who would have thought that high of number of lib/mods in THIS AGE BRACKET? and b)it probably shows that land lines are much more rare among those below age 45. Interesting.
    Most of the folks who actually live in OKC are liberal or moderate.

Soonerguru, What in the world do you base that on? Most of the people on this are. I would believe that! I mean wasnt that issue on tuesday about bigger goverment and higher taxes?

IIRC, Oklahoma City proper, and perhaps Tulsa, were the only parts of the state Obama "carried" in last year's election. So, it's not unreasonable to say that a significant number of people who live here are liberal or moderate.

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    IIRC, Oklahoma City proper, and perhaps Tulsa, were the only parts of the state Obama "carried" in last year's election. So, it's not unreasonable to say that a significant number of people who live here are liberal or moderate.
    Yes, Betts, this is what I was talking about. I studied the precinct maps as a volunteer for the Obama campaign.

He carried Norman and some other areas as well, just not counties. Go to OKC's suburbs and far northwest and it gets much more conservative in a hurry.

Now, back on topic. What precincts of the city supported MAPS. Anyone know?

Quote Originally Posted by Mikemarsh51 View Post
    Soonerguru, What in the world do you base that on? Most of the people on this are. I would believe that! I mean wasnt that issue on tuesday about bigger goverment and higher taxes?
    I still see MAPS as nonpartisan. I don't really believe it's about bigger government, and the nice thing about the MAPS tax is that it actually builds things you can see and touch. That's the kind of tax people of different political persuasions can get behind. No money is going to send Senators to Copenhagen to protest at the Global Warming Summit. In fact , didn't the opposition want bigger government, or at least more employees?

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    in fact , didn't the opposition want bigger government, or at least more employees?
    slam!

17. Default Re: When can we get a precinct breakdown of MAPS 3 vote?

Quote Originally Posted by cafeboeuf View Post
    slam!
    Ha! Nice one betts.
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

18. Default Re: When can we get a precinct breakdown of MAPS 3 vote?

Quote Originally Posted by Mikemarsh51 View Post
    No. It was about vision, reason, truth, and fighting ignorance in our community.

I mean wasnt that issue on tuesday about bigger goverment and higher taxes?
    Well, the taxes won't be higher, they just won't be lower. That's kind of how you view the glass. The government itself won't get bigger, it will just be actually doing something constructive with your money.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    No. It was about vision, reason, truth, and fighting ignorance in our community.
    Double Slam

21. Default Re: When can we get a precinct breakdown of MAPS 3 vote?

Really MAPS is compatible with both liberal and conservative ideologies- Yes, we are using a tax rate to build public projects to stimulate the economy (liberal) but we are also paying with cash instead of bonds, using local money instead of big-government federal money, and creating an incentive for big business (conservative).

22. Default Re: When can we get a precinct breakdown of MAPS 3 vote?

It's here!

NewsOK

Who wants to make a map?
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

23. Default Re: When can we get a precinct breakdown of MAPS 3 vote?

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown84 View Post
    It's here!

NewsOK

Who wants to make a map?
    Thanks. I'm proud of my precinct...in far SW OKC, by the way.

All 495 of us.

Hey guys. keith Gaddie from down at OU. I've got the MAPS data in a database, and also have it mapped (did it for Channel 9 on Wednesday). We're generating some analysis of areas of unexpected turnout, and voter mobilization. I'll be glad to share the data base with anyone who emails me at rkgaddie@ou.edu.

kg

I am bumfuzzled to see so many reports of zero votes case at some polling locations. Tough enough to comprehend seeing under 50 votes casts, but freakin' Goose Eggs? No one in that lil' corner of the city had any opinion or concern one way or the other?

Major FAIL by both YESers and NTMers in those areas.

Thread Information