Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Ludivine

Blog Entries

Default Re: Ludivine

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Every time I have been to that bar (including week nights), it's very busy. Due to the configuration of the place (the bar is basically in a separate - but connected - building with its own street frontage and door with a very different feel than the dining room itself), it makes sense that they would work to cultivate a bar crowd that wasn't necessarily the same group as the restaurant patrons. The bar to me feels very neighborhood, while the dining room feels more like a citywide destination.
    Well said.

Not to mention it is a tiny restaurant, like 10 tables, so they need to turn tables and make money where they can. Ludivine is truly a gem in OKC

Quote Originally Posted by jbkrems View Post
    Yes, I am cynical about my statement. If a restaurant is trying to increase their business by increasing bar business, that says to me that something is not great about their restaurant business. If you are a really top notch restaurant, you should not be depending on bar business to improve your business. You should be able to deliver top notch food and top notch service, and that should be enough to increase your business.
    I don't think there's a bar around that doesn't use gimmicks. Happy Hour? Appetizer specials?

As Brian noted, the margins at the bar are much higher. Even at the best fine dining restaurants, it's the wine and cocktails that make the money.

As also noted, the bar is a very distinct separate of the restaurant.

Happy hours and appetizer specials are not gimmicks.

Quote Originally Posted by jbkrems View Post
    Happy hours and appetizer specials are not gimmicks.
    then what are the "gimmicks" you are talking about?

6. Default Re: Ludivine

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    then what are the "gimmicks" you are talking about?
    Tuesday's Topless Bar Maids & Marrow Sucking Competition!

BoulderSooner, the gimmicks that were in your earlier post.

Surprised there isn't more talk about this restaurant
    This is my our favorite restaurant to eat out at and my wife and I frequent most of the nicer restaurants in town.
    We went here again the other night before the Thunder game and remembered just how amazing the food is at this restaurant. The sweet potato gnocchi with braised brisket may have been my favorite thing I've ever eaten. This may come across as an advertisement but I assure you its selfish in nature. I'd hate for something to happen to this restaurant as I think OKC would lose a truly unique dining experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Rom View Post
    Surprised there isn't more talk about this restaurant
    This is my our favorite restaurant to eat out at and my wife and I frequent most of the nicer restaurants in town.
    We went here again the other night before the Thunder game and remembered just how amazing the food is at this restaurant. The sweet potato gnocchi with braised brisket may have been my favorite thing I've ever eaten. This may come across as an advertisement but I assure you its selfish in nature. I'd hate for something to happen to this restaurant as I think OKC would lose a truly unique dining experience.
    And their bar, along with the Lobby Bar on Western, has some of the best, inventive cocktails in town.

It is great. What their chefs concoct frequently rises above everything else in OKC, if not the state.

11. Default Re: Ludivine

My wife and I eat at places ranging from low brow and low budget to high dollar and high expectations.

We also are adventurous eaters.

That being said, to us Ludivine is the place we take an out of town guests with similar adventurous palettes - but not a place we care to eat at with any regularity.

The first time we ate there it was indeed an adventure and well the enjoyed. The last two times were good, but nothing that elevated our overall opinion of the place.

Most times we've even mentioned going to Ludivine, we ended up at Red Prime, Cheever's, Paseo Grill or Signature - and were glad for it.

I would say the creativity is certainly above what most local restaurants provide, but I wouldn't say the service and overall value is.

12. Default Re: Ludivine

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	57d0d31f-bba9-4a6f-b123-0ff531b49131.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	160.5 KB 
ID:	3564I ran into Urban Pioneer and Catch 22 last night at Ludivine.

Clearly I'm not the mayor. Damn, my signature doesn't work anymore at tricking anyone.

14. Default Re: Ludivine

Did I blow your cover?

Quote Originally Posted by edcrunk View Post
    Did I blow your cover?
    We're cool!

Ludivine is currently suffering the dreaded "sophomore slump." The last time we dined there we actually wondered if the same ownership / management was involved. It was very good, but not not on the same level it was in its prime. Bad night? Who knows?

It was still very good but not what it was on previous visits.

I really want to see it work. Awesome concept. Hopefully they're not losing the passion for great food they had during the first year.

Judging only by recent visits, the bar has overtaken the restaurant as the star. Hoping they can become worthy rivals again.

Sad to hear that, I need to get back in soon and try it out again, it's been many months. It's a great concept and location for OKC.

Quality has diminished. Noticably. It was one of our favorites and I still love the bar.

Saw on FB Jonathan Stranger is back from a stint in San Fran. Perhaps that was why the decline?

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Saw on FB Jonathan Stranger is back from a stint in San Fran. Perhaps that was why the decline?
    Wondered about that. Thanks for the update. His presence there was obviously missed. Perhaps his journey to SF infused him with some new inspiration.

I notified Ludivine a week ago about the recent complaints, they brushed it off. Pretty surprising. I guess we'll find out soon enough. Hope they turn the place around if it is what people are claiming as of late. I really like this concept.

No offense, but what did you expect them to do? Lots of people "complain" to restaurants because they just want something free.

Its also important to note their menu changes, and some things will simply be better than others. Its definitely a place you have to hit at the right time, and has always been.

I wasn't "complaining" I was pointing out recent bad reviews to them on a message board. Most restauranteurs on top of their game like to know these things. I cite Good Egg Group as a quality example of a well run restaurant group.

Quote Originally Posted by adaniel View Post
    No offense, but what did you expect them to do? Lots of people "complain" to restaurants because they just want something free.

Its also important to note their menu changes, and some things will simply be better than others. Its definitely a place you have to hit at the right time, and has always been.
    The people who work here are smart and experienced enough to be able to tell the difference between a caller who wants something for free and someone noting that diminished care or skill in the kitchen is starting to impact the overall quality of the product on a longer timeline. But even if they can, the assumption that they are here to educate the palettes of Oklahomans may make it difficult for them to accept the possibility that things have slipped enough to be perceptible to their clientele.

This is a tough business, and it is difficult to find talented employees who can bring it day after day, for little financial incentive. They are running an ingredient-driven kitchen, which heightens the importance of craft, and when you have high turnover on a small team the loss of talented people can impact your day to day product.

A complaint can only be taken as seriously as its accuracy and specificity allow it to be taken.

"The quality has diminished" means exactly nothing.

Thread Information