Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Oklahoma Elections, State, County, City

1. Default Re: Oklahoma Elections, State, County, City

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    But I doubt private schools outside the metro areas have their own stadiums and sports programs. Surely someone would advocate that private school students should have legal access to the sports programs of the public schools, if they don't already.
    I don't know what you mean by access to public school sports programs. But since I'm familiar with Crossings HS football I know that Crossings is in the public division 2A, District 2 conference even though there a private Christian school.

Default Re: Oklahoma Elections, State, County, City

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    I don't know what you mean by access to public school sports programs. But since I'm familiar with Crossings HS football I know that Crossings is in the public division 2A, District 2 conference even though there a private Christian school.
    Crossings is in the metro area. What about smaller schools in small towns, assuming they have any private schools at all? I saw Joy at her campaign rally Sunday afternoon. She went over all her talking points, including that vouchers would kill rural public schools.

What local races are you watching?

I received an absentee ballot, it requires a notary. Total pain in the rear!

Hofmeister is winning in a landslide, that is surprising but I can not complain, Hofmeister can not do any worse than Stitt and Fallin

Way too early to call anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Boop View Post
    Hofmeister is winning in a landslide, that is surprising but I can not complain, Hofmeister can not do any worse than Stitt and Fallin
    ????hope it’s true but I haven’t seen any numbers to support your assertion

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    Way too early to call anything.
    And you are right, now it is caught up, Stitt is behind 3,724 votes now

Well, I spoke too soon, Stitt is leading, oh well, that was fun while it lasted

Well, it is official, Kevin won but look on the bright side, 4 more years and we do not have to worry about him anymore

The good thing is now these proposed tollways are likely to be built.

Man, a Red wave really came over this state. Multiple elections called before 50% reported.

Disappointed but not surprised. The real state motto.

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    Man, a Red wave really came over this state. Multiple elections called before 50% reported.
    Oklahoma Democrats didn’t stand a chance due to Biden and the left-leaning national Democratic party. Same thing happened to Jeri Askins who likely would’ve won and been a fantastic governor. I did think this would be a closer race due to the tribal support for Joy.

Looking to 2026 I imagine Matt Pinnell will run on the Republican ticket and hopefully the political environment will be more favorable for a Democratic challenger.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    Disappointed but not surprised. The real state motto.
    Me either, oh well!

I posted in the Air and Space thread last week “Stitt will win by double digits” and it appears that is going to happen. Right now its 564k to 408k with 89% of precints reporting. The gap will close some but I am happy with the result. One thing I like about OKC is we are not like other big cities in other states. I always say Dallas is just down the road for big city things if people don’t like it here. I enjoy OKC as a medium sized city and don’t want to be Dallas or some other big city. This place still has a down home friendly feel in comparision which I enjoy.

Side note during peak Covid. I was donating convelescent plasma and in comes Gov Stitt on the other side of room and he sat down and donated CP too. Really impressed with that even though it didn’t make news. What are the odds of being there at same time. At the time CP was used for the worst of patients at hospitals. I did vote for him in full disclosure.

Now, in Mar I will be voting yes for rec mary jane. And I think it will pass by a decent margin

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    Oklahoma Democrats didn’t stand a chance due to Biden and the left-leaning national Democratic party. Same thing happened to Jeri Askins who likely would’ve won and been a fantastic governor. I did think this would be a closer race due to the tribal support for Joy.

Looking to 2026 I imagine Matt Pinnell will run on the Republican ticket and hopefully the political environment will be more favorable for a Democratic challenger.
    I will vote for Pinnell, he can not do any worse than Fallin and Stitt

17. Default Re: Oklahoma Elections, State, County, City

Well, it is official, Kevin won but look on the bright side, 4 more years and we do not have to worry about him anymore
    We said that about Fallin too. 4 years from now, they'll probably pull some sort of creature out of Lake Stanley Draper and run that for governor.

The problem with this election is that the people of Oklahoma have basically told the politicians they can say or do anything and as long as they are the right party they don't need to worry about losing the election. So I would expect to see more and more brazen abuses of power by Oklahoma politicians as time goes on.

I will vote for Pinnell, he can not do any worse than Fallin and Stitt
    I wonder if David Holt or GT Bynum would potentially run in 2026?

Oklahoma needs to abolish straight party voting on the ballots. Oklahoma is one of only 6 states that have it many others have repealed it in the past 15 years including Texas.

HangryHippo Guest

Yes! The straight party is total horse****.

Looks like we'll be having a new governor's mansion. Feel sorry for the folks who'll lose their homes and property to the new toll roads, too. There will be no stopping Stitt and his cronies.

As for the schools in rural or small communities, some may see closings, but many places don't have private schools--until someone starts up one to siphon off the money from the vouchers. No telling how that will play out, but when the newly-elected state superintendent of schools can't even spell "sanctuary" right, uh-oh. (Love the lost Ogle for that info!)

And, yes, I am a Republican who voted for Joy and Jena, but there weren't enough of us to vote for the "person" and not the "party." Or as one of my relatives said, "Too many people want to mark only the straight-party box and not take the time to vote for each office." We need to eliminate the straight-party option, but that won't happen any time soon.

It's going to be a long four years...and the options for the next governor's race aren't looking promising.

Politics forum open back up?

Straight-ticket voting and requiring notarization of an absentee ballot. Both of these need to go.

Online security and encryption is the key to unlocking voter turnout. I hope to see it in my lifetime.

Thread Information