Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Zoo Amphitheater

Default Re: Zoo Amphitheater

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    You of all people didn’t go to Blues Traveller(s)?!?
    Ha, good one! Nope, not a fan of harmonica.

2. Default Re: Zoo Amphitheater

Quote Originally Posted by caaokc View Post
    Did anyone go to the show last night? If so, what improvements did they make?
    I went to the show on Saturday. The upgraded bathrooms are awesome, especially on a hot night, as they are roomy, clean, and air conditioned. I didn't notice that there were more drink stands than before, but it did not seem to me that there were. I will check again when I go see Howard Jones and ABC in a couple weeks.

Howard Jones and ABC has been moved to the Criterion for some reason (maybe the ungodly heat).

4. Default Re: Zoo Amphitheater

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Howard Jones and ABC has been moved to the Criterion for some reason (maybe the ungodly heat).
    Yeah, I got that email yesterday. I can't say I'm disappointed, really, unless that evening ends up being nice and cool.

I think tickets were selling much slower than they anticipated. I noticed they dropped the price by $30 or so a ticket a couple weeks ago.

If these first shows are a sign of things to come, then we are going to be majorly disappointed. I will give them a summer fully open to see if they get good shows with mainstream rock or pop acts, but getting Ice Cube and Cake, while ok acts, are not really what OKC's major amphitheater should be bragging about.

Like I said, they were not fully sure when they would be open, so booking shows was tough. But this first batch of shows is rough. Hopefully the severing of the DCF relationship doesn't come back to bite them, as the Zoo had already been struggling to get top traveling summer tours to come through.

6. Default Re: Zoo Amphitheater

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    It was moved due to slow sales, but at the same time the sales numbers were probably also because of the heat. This show is a show for olds, and olds generally don't want to sit in the heat, Howard Jones/ABC notwithstanding.

There are a lot of theater dates on the HJ tour. I have no idea if they were relocations, too, but looks like most of the remaining shows on the tour are theater gigs.

He played mostly theater shows last year, too.

Quote Originally Posted by bison34 View Post
    If these first shows are a sign of things to come, then we are going to be majorly disappointed. I will give them a summer fully open to see if they get good shows with mainstream rock or pop acts, but getting Ice Cube and Cake, while ok acts, are not really what OKC's major amphitheater should be bragging about.

Like I said, they were not fully sure when they would be open, so booking shows was tough. But this first batch of shows is rough. Hopefully the severing of the DCF relationship doesn't come back to bite them, as the Zoo had already been struggling to get top traveling summer tours to come through.
    I’m sure they are very relieved that you found it within yourself to give them a summer to fully open. I can’t imagine how nervous they must have been while awaiting your decision.

I wouldn't think they would be a sign of things to come as the promoters only really took over early this year. Now they have a year under their belt to bring in better acts next summer and hopefully into fall. It would be hard to find bands to play that already had a tour ready to go unless they just happened to have some holes in their schedule and were near by.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    It was moved due to slow sales, but at the same time the sales numbers were probably also because of the heat. This show is a show for olds, and olds generally don't want to sit in the heat, Howard Jones/ABC notwithstanding.
    Had GA lawn tickets, not going now - they stuck us in either the last or next-to-last row on the right side under the balcony, as far right as you can go (Someone I know got one of their seats at the right end of a row and the other one at the left end of the row before/after it, but it got fixed, luckily). Under the balcony sounds so sh!tty there (view is pretty crappy too), and to be seated is just two bridges too far. I vowed long ago never to go to a seated show at the Criterion again (went to a seated show once a long time ago, vowed to never do it again, but Lindsey Buckingham is worth breaking a vow for, and it'd have to be Jimi coming back from the dead to make me go to a seated show there again ), it's just unpleasant (small seat widths, manspreaders, all seats in a row hooked together), and we *never* end up under the balcony by choice, found that out at about the 2nd show we went to there a looong time ago. Speaking of the balcony, it's not open for this show - they could've opened it up and given people tickets there and the sound/view would be so much better (our preferred spot is in the left-side front corner of the balcony, front row or two - security keeps people from standing at the rail so you can see great, and sound is pretty good).

I was pleasantly surprised they got Benson Boone in October, which is a massive get considering he's one of the headliners for Austin City Limits. Benson's show sold out within a day. I love that we're thought of and close enough to Austin to have some of these acts visit OKC the week between both ACL weekends.

https://thelostogle.com/2024/08/22/n...rt-experiences

I hate sharing the Lost Ogle, but they made some good points. I'll give then another summer to try to get it turned around, but not a good start, as I said.

Yes, TLO are jerks, but they are citing actual info. I'm not much for their commentary, but the emails and source stuff is concerning.

13. Default Re: Zoo Amphitheater

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

agreed!!!

Thread Information