Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Twisters (2024 Movie)

Default Re: Twisters (2024 Movie)

The movie has VERY high ratings on Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic, for the type of movie this is. Over 80% on Rotten Tomatoes, and 73% on Metacritic. Not bad.

A friend of mine just posted this -- it's the pier in Santa Monica.

I told him it was my car and I have been looking for it since a big Oklahoma storm blew through here about a week ago.

3. Default Re: Twisters (2024 Movie)

Funny…and yet I’m sure you could tell that to a fair number of coastal folks and they’d believe it

Santa Monica pier is also where the Wheeler District ferris wheel came from.

Quote Originally Posted by Bowser214 View Post
    Santa Monica pier is also where the Wheeler District ferris wheel came from.
    Traded a ferris wheel for a flipped tornado car, straight up. What a deal.

6. Default Re: Twisters (2024 Movie)

I think we had to give up five second round picks.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    I think we had to give up five second round picks.
    NBD. Still have 172 left over the next 6 years.

As someone who grew up on kaw lake and watched them film the original, it’s one of my favorite movies. The music, the discourse, camaraderie and one liners are perfect.

I had high hopes for this even as a “redo” but maybe I was too optimistic as I just left the premier and it doesn’t sit well. I won’t give spoilers just wondering if anyone else just felt… it could have been more?

Michael Armstrong said last night to remember it was Hollywood which I have. Summer entertaining blockbuster for some and hope it does well for the franchise but for nostalgia it wasn’t vibing for me. I am glad to see Emily Sutton get to be the new Gary England in it! She’s a huge fan.

Quote Originally Posted by mrdude View Post
    As someone who grew up on kaw lake and watched them film the original, it’s one of my favorite movies. The music, the discourse, camaraderie and one liners are perfect.

I had high hopes for this even as a “redo” but maybe I was too optimistic as I just left the premier and it doesn’t sit well. I won’t give spoilers just wondering if anyone else just felt… it could have been more?

Michael Armstrong said last night to remember it was Hollywood which I have. Summer entertaining blockbuster for some and hope it does well for the franchise but for nostalgia it wasn’t vibing for me. I am glad to see Emily Sutton get to be the new Gary England in it! She’s a huge fan.
    Can you give us your thoughts with spoiler tags? I'd be interested to know your thoughts, feelings, critiques of it. What didn't work and why.

The first one was fine for a fun, turn-your-brain-off, summer, popcorn movie. Not great but fun. I had some trepidation when I heard about this movie but hoped I would be wrong. Not to sound like an old, but they don't make movies like Twister anymore. We had some fun movies in the 90s.

I'm also tired of how everything has to be a franchise these days. Not every movie needs to be a franchise. For Harry Potter, it makes sense. For Ghost Busters, not so much. There are exactly 2 good Terminator movies. And an ocean of bad ones.

I went to Twisters with a group down here in Texas. Everyone loved it, which seems to be the norm. It has good reviews from critics and great reviews from fans thus far. It's a very similar vibe to Twister.

I personally thought the plot was a bit too corny, but too be honest, the movie delivers on tornado-based drama, which is what most people expect. It was cool to see OKC represented via Park Avenue (supposed to NYC), Gilded Acorn (a NYC coffee shop), and Will Rogers WORLD Airport.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    I personally thought the plot was a bit too corny
    Was the twister from the end of the first movie back for revenge?

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    It was cool to see OKC represented via Park Avenue (supposed to NYC), Gilded Acorn (a NYC coffee shop), and Will Rogers WORLD Airport.
    This is all you will see of any OKC/Oklahoma has cities?! relation. The OG didnÂ’t either but I felt this one could have had ONE skyline shot or reference to the fact we donÂ’t all have anything but vast unfenced fields you can drive crowds of chaser trucks through. More Tulsa and Stillwater references rather than classic OU cap.

Again as stated before I am biased as a kid fan and Oklahoman, but the reviews are good and people like it. My gripes are from my own personal biases.

It seems the stuff they tried to incorporate from the old to new fell flat to me, one being the diverse but awesome soundtrack. The attempt at reviving the classic food table scene and “naked weather streaking” story redo was embarrassing. The seemingly nonstop F5s and multi city destruction whether known or often unknown they were coming. The destabilizing a giant one via a few anchors on a ram with glass windows.

ItÂ’s intense, sad, there is of course a love triangle (kinda?) and they do bring the fact of fan chasing being popular and annoying (main character chases and shoots fireworks in to tornados for likes on his YouTube channel.. lol yes really). And of course the evil in this one is using chasers for insurance guyÂ’s gains.

The main groups spend a lot of time chasing only to go insert themselves to help for good reason but not really, and just endangering themselves and others more.

There was no “grit” like the first and I would have preferred they did this as a stand alone that was similar and not try to tie it to the OG, or just made a straight sequel and carried the different story off on its own. This redo is what is falling flat for me. Again, my own bias. People seem to like it so no reason to not go watch yourself and just enjoy, it is definitely entertaining nonetheless.

I saw the movie in 4DX, I would say it was better than the first twister movie. It had much more action.

14. Default Re: Twisters (2024 Movie)

I really enjoyed it. Dolby theater at amc quail was perfect

Quote Originally Posted by TornadoKegan View Post
    I saw the movie in 4DX, I would say it was better than the first twister movie. It had much more action.
    Just walked out of a showing at Flix and agree. I grew up with the first one, which I loved, but thought this one was WAY better as did everyone in our group. The plot was as good or better, the acting was better and the way they chose to convey all the technical meteorological details to the audience seemed MUCH less forced than it did in the original. To me, this was way less hokey than the original. Thought it was a pretty accurate portrayal of the current storm chaser scene as well. You got the serious people, the tourists and then just add some armor to Glenn Powell’s vehicle and you’ve got Reid Timmer.

if you were just absolutely hooked on the first one, there is probably no tornado movie that will ever hit like that did for you. This could’ve been the best movie of all time and it wouldn’t have cleared that bar. Otherwise, Twisters was a very good movie, with solid special effects, that was reasonably accurate scientifically. And bonus, tons of Oklahoma thrown into it from the scenery and the cameos down to the soundtrack (that Luke Combs song is going to end up featured in OU games/broadcasts for a long time). I had major reservations but was pleasantly surprised and very impressed. I think most of the country who sees it will come away with a positive opinion of it. Another win to add to the recent filming boom in Oklahoma.

Quote Originally Posted by mrdude View Post
    This is all you will see of any OKC/Oklahoma has cities?! relation. The OG didnÂ’t either but I felt this one could have had ONE skyline shot or reference to the fact we donÂ’t all have anything but vast unfenced fields you can drive crowds of chaser trucks through. More Tulsa and Stillwater references rather than classic OU cap.

Again as stated before I am biased as a kid fan and Oklahoman, but the reviews are good and people like it. My gripes are from my own personal biases.

It seems the stuff they tried to incorporate from the old to new fell flat to me, one being the diverse but awesome soundtrack. The attempt at reviving the classic food table scene and “naked weather streaking” story redo was embarrassing. The seemingly nonstop F5s and multi city destruction whether known or often unknown they were coming. The destabilizing a giant one via a few anchors on a ram with glass windows.

ItÂ’s intense, sad, there is of course a love triangle (kinda?) and they do bring the fact of fan chasing being popular and annoying (main character chases and shoots fireworks in to tornados for likes on his YouTube channel.. lol yes really). And of course the evil in this one is using chasers for insurance guyÂ’s gains.

The main groups spend a lot of time chasing only to go insert themselves to help for good reason but not really, and just endangering themselves and others more.

There was no “grit” like the first and I would have preferred they did this as a stand alone that was similar and not try to tie it to the OG, or just made a straight sequel and carried the different story off on its own. This redo is what is falling flat for me. Again, my own bias. People seem to like it so no reason to not go watch yourself and just enjoy, it is definitely entertaining nonetheless.
    It was a little dumb that they didn’t reinforce the windows but I’m pretty sure Reid Timmer has intercepted an EF-4 using hydraulic spikes to stabilize his intercept vehicle. The firework stuff was dumb but I thought that was a pretty funny riff on how dumb the influencer culture has become.

And storm chaser’s help before and after storms hit all the time. There were several groups on the storm chaser tv shows that added PA systems to their vehicles so that they could sound sirens in smaller towns that may not have the warning systems that every city in Oklahoma does. Many of them are trained first responders and stop in towns that have been hit to help.

There were also multiple huge tornadoes in the first one. An F5 to start and an F5 at the end with a a few large tornados in between that they all managed to get stuck in despite being renowned storm chasers. I really didn’t see any differences in that regard.

And as far as the “love triangle”…that happened in the first one but I thought they did a much better job minimizing that as part of the plot this time. It was there but wasn’t so important to the plot that the whole thing started because the leads were in the middle of a divorce.

Also maybe I wasn’t there for the dinner scene but the only real call back to the first one that I recognized was Dorothy.

At the end of the day, it was a movie. No need to take it so seriously LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    Can you give us your thoughts with spoiler tags? I'd be interested to know your thoughts, feelings, critiques of it. What didn't work and why.

The first one was fine for a fun, turn-your-brain-off, summer, popcorn movie. Not great but fun. I had some trepidation when I heard about this movie but hoped I would be wrong. Not to sound like an old, but they don't make movies like Twister anymore. We had some fun movies in the 90s.

I'm also tired of how everything has to be a franchise these days. Not every movie needs to be a franchise. For Harry Potter, it makes sense. For Ghost Busters, not so much. There are exactly 2 good Terminator movies. And an ocean of bad ones.
    If that’s what you’re looking for, you’ll love it. Reminded me of how I felt after seeing Top Gun Maverick and comparing back to Top Gun.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    If that’s what you’re looking for, you’ll love it. Reminded me of how I felt after seeing Top Gun Maverick and comparing back to Top Gun.
    Cool

Only producing franchises and industry slop is the infestation of MBA's that know jack **** about business and the creative process. Almost every creative industry is getting monetized to death for the sake of the quarterly and annual earnings reports. The inflation of costs associated with TV and film production have not made it any easier because studios are now under the gun more than ever trying to maintain profitability. Unfortunately, you have to be willing to take chances, fail, make mistakes, and eventually succeed if you are going to be a great film and production studio. Chasing trends only works for a limited amount of time, the fiasco that is the MCU and modern Star Wars franchises for Disney are the perfect examples of this. Like many of you I grew up on Star Wars and Marvel comics. The blatant disregard for the past, which in many cases was to avoid paying royalties to previous creators that built the IP has left a sour taste in a lot of fans mouths. Personally, I am not bothered if a legacy character has their gender or race swapped if the actor that is in the role embodies the character they are playing, and it makes sense inside the existing lore of the universe. It has been done well, a recent example is the live action Sandman series that did a lot of justice to the source material and didn't feel forced in the effort to make the cast more diverse. On the opposite end of the spectrum you have films like the Star Wars sequel trilogy that was disjointed, actively tried to separate itself from existing lore and ripped off the creative works of others with no form of compensation for the original creators. Based on the reviews I have seen on here and IMDB I am pretty excited to give Twister a shot, a summer popcorn movie done well is a rarity these days and is worth the price of admission.

Quote Originally Posted by TornadoKegan View Post
    We did the 4DX as well yesterday (Sunday). Thought it was going to throw a few people out of their seats….lol. There were more than a few spilled drinks in the theater as well. Super cool way to experience the movie though for sure.

21. Default Re: Twisters (2024 Movie)

I never saw the first movie, so can't compare, and probably would not have seen this one but went on a date.

I'm not really an action movie guy but I thought it was a decent romance/action movie that kept me entertained as long as I didn't take it seriously.

Got a good chuckle out of the rodeo, and what I'm assuming was, the El Reno Onion Burger festival scenes... No way that many Oklahomans are going to get that caught off guard by a storm. Especially today when the state basically shuts down if storms are predicted.... Heck I felt my phone vibrating in my pocket letting me know I was getting rain 68 miles away in Ardmore while I was watching the movie..

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    Was the twister from the end of the first movie back for revenge?
    I think it's kid was out for revenge... The kid the first tornado didn't know they had...

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    I think it's kid was out for revenge... The kid the first tornado didn't know they had...
    lol...that's pretty good

Quote Originally Posted by citywokchinesefood View Post
    Only producing franchises and industry slop is the infestation of MBA's that know jack **** about business and the creative process. Almost every creative industry is getting monetized to death for the sake of the quarterly and annual earnings reports. The inflation of costs associated with TV and film production have not made it any easier because studios are now under the gun more than ever trying to maintain profitability. Unfortunately, you have to be willing to take chances, fail, make mistakes, and eventually succeed if you are going to be a great film and production studio. Chasing trends only works for a limited amount of time, the fiasco that is the MCU and modern Star Wars franchises for Disney are the perfect examples of this. Like many of you I grew up on Star Wars and Marvel comics. The blatant disregard for the past, which in many cases was to avoid paying royalties to previous creators that built the IP has left a sour taste in a lot of fans mouths. Personally, I am not bothered if a legacy character has their gender or race swapped if the actor that is in the role embodies the character they are playing, and it makes sense inside the existing lore of the universe. It has been done well, a recent example is the live action Sandman series that did a lot of justice to the source material and didn't feel forced in the effort to make the cast more diverse. On the opposite end of the spectrum you have films like the Star Wars sequel trilogy that was disjointed, actively tried to separate itself from existing lore and ripped off the creative works of others with no form of compensation for the original creators. Based on the reviews I have seen on here and IMDB I am pretty excited to give Twister a shot, a summer popcorn movie done well is a rarity these days and is worth the price of admission.
    Some good points here.

They're trying to moneyball art (and before you drag me, I do realize it's commerce as much as it is art). Movies, music etc. The thing is, it's not always obvious what's going to work when it comes to entertainment.

To your point about not respecting legacy characters; it's not just that they don't respect them, they are actively trying to piss off fans. I heard or read JJ Abrams say that they purposely kept Han, Leia, and Luke out of scenes together. WHY?! That's why we all came back. To watch the original three back together. Now that Carrie is gone, that'll never be possible (no, I'm not watching an AI Carrie Fisher in some future Star Wars movie). I would've been more receptive to new characters had they just given me Han, Luke, and Leia back together again.

And like you said about MBAs who know nothing, that's how you get Bud Lite marketing execs thinking they don't need to do any market research because they're smarter than everyone else.

I'm one of those MBAs who actually worked at several studios, primarily Paramount.

The reason they do so many franchises/sequels is because they can get them made, meaning they can get the financing.

Pretty standard rule of thumb is that the movie that follows in a series will earn at least 75% of the predecessor. It's really the only semi-guarantee in a business that requires tens of millions (and now hundreds of millions) without having any clue of what it will bring in at the box office. Many, many movies lose money as a result.

Look at it this way: the huge revenue generated by the franchises allows studios and independents to do tons of smaller art films. And with the unlimited ways to distribute these days, there are more small and indie films than ever before.

Thread Information