Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: What businesses do you miss?

Default Re: What businesses do you miss?

does anybody remember these pizza places that was kinda likea chuck-e-cheese, but had now characters or show, it had the games though, i believe they had one off 89th and peen? and one in norman. I remember playing in the ball pin aas akid and playing skiball and collecting tickets. I thought they where fun, nota big place but fun. It wasnt a krystals, which i want back as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesseda View Post
    does anybody remember these pizza places that was kinda likea chuck-e-cheese, but had now characters or show, it had the games though, i believe they had one off 89th and peen? and one in norman. I remember playing in the ball pin aas akid and playing skiball and collecting tickets. I thought they where fun, nota big place but fun. It wasnt a krystals, which i want back as well.
    Maybe Showbiz Pizza?

I dont think it was showbiz, it was a chain, they where in shopping centers, smaller thana cicis pizza place, but had a game center and a play place in it.

hmmm... 89th & penn... 74th & penn would've been crystal's... but you've ruled that out. i can't think of anything like that at or around 89th & penn.

smaller. no characters. in shopping centers. any more clues?

-M

Southside Harrigan's was great. Always great. Anyone remember the waiter, tall guy with a mustache that worked there for pretty much the entire time the place existed? He was great.

Again, being from tulsa, I seriously miss Crystal's Pizza. Going there as a kid, always used to sit in the little theatre and watch old cartoons.

Chicken In The Rough Guest

New Orleans Coffee House (a way back flashback). Ultra cool, myterious, full of people of dubious character.

and

Yipee-Yi-Yo Cafe (before it was sold and relocated). Quite the opposite of New Orleans Coffee house. YYY was positive, upbeat, fun, and friendly. And, the owner was a pioneer in the OKC coffee scene.

Crystals pizza parlor
    Fox and Horn
    soundtrack
    Save Auto
    tastee freeze on s.w. 59th
    Across the Street restaurant on S.W. 59th
    TG&Y
    Otasco

Jim`s Superthrift on S.W. 74th
    Godfathers pizza
    nicolosis spaghetti
    Peter Piper Pizza
    Crocketts bbq
    Spartan Atlantic
    Dairy Queens footlong hotdogs
    The "ORIGINAL" Los Tacos

Quote Originally Posted by ddavidson8 View Post
    Where was the Kips? I remember there being one on Reno where the On the Border is now.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    There was a KIp's Big boy downtown on Main st until Urban Renewal but, the first one (in this area) was at 59th and S. Western. The Kip's Special Sandwich was a predecessor of McDonald's Big Mac....think about it.....2 patties, Special Sauce, Cheese, Lettuce? Hmmmmmmmmmmm

Don't forget Mr. Buck's specialty shop and Katz Drug or even Sheen drug...then there was Emmer Brothers. C.R. Anthony the right stuff at the right price.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesseda View Post
    I dont think it was showbiz, it was a chain, they where in shopping centers, smaller thana cicis pizza place, but had a game center and a play place in it.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    PETER PIPER PIZZA PARLOR.........59TH & S. May Southwest corner....

I miss Vixens. Located where the current Hooters is on I-240 and Penn. Hands down, the best "gentlemans club" ever in OKC.

12. Default Re: What businesses do you miss?

Quote Originally Posted by old okie View Post
    The discussion about John A. Brown's started me thinking about many places that are no longer here that I really miss. I'm going by memory here, so I may misspell some of the names (feel free to correct me!), but here is my list.

St. John's (the clothes were wonderful!)
    Pappagallo's (best shoe store ever!)
    Ralph Lauren shop (in 50 Penn Place)
    Laura Ashley shop (in 50 Penn Place)
    Rothchild's

Stefanie's (heart healthy food/restaurant)
    Glen's Hickory Inn
    Dairy Queen
    Chinese restaurant in Shawnee est. by Ann & George Ing
    Pinnochio's (salad/pizza/sandwich shop in Norman)
    Queen Ann Cafeteria
    Anna Maude's (best cafeteria ever!)

Continental Theater

The Plum Tree
    Caddeedid Gifts (MWC; I'm sure I've blown the spelling!)

Anyone else?
    I loved Caddeedid Gifts! Can not believe someone remembers it! awesome !

Also the Plum Tree!

13. Default Re: What businesses do you miss?

Quote Originally Posted by grantgeneral78 View Post
    Crystals pizza parlor
    Fox and Horn
    soundtrack
    Save Auto
    tastee freeze on s.w. 59th
    Across the Street restaurant on S.W. 59th
    TG&Y
    Otasco

Jim`s Superthrift on S.W. 74th
    Godfathers pizza
    nicolosis spaghetti
    Peter Piper Pizza
    Crocketts bbq
    Spartan Atlantic
    Dairy Queens footlong hotdogs
    The "ORIGINAL" Los Tacos
    wow I almost forgot all about Otasco

Quote Originally Posted by route66gal View Post
    wow I almost forgot all about Otasco

Yeah Otasco sale adds were the best, especially when your a kid the toy adds were great to look at!

Quote Originally Posted by grantgeneral78
    the "original" los tacos
    i dunno... while the 'new' location doesn't have the same uniqueness as the old drive-in, i'd say that the food at los tacos tastes exactly the same as it did.

Quote Originally Posted by proud2bsooner
    southside harrigan's was great.
    i will definitely second that... i miss harrigan's so much... great place to eat.

-M

you are right i think it was peter pippers, sorry for the wrong area information, i was like 4 years old back then, what ever happened to peter pipers?

All the good old dark pizza parlors are gone now, it has gone the fast food rout of delivery mostly. Even the new dine in pizza places are not cozy feeling like the old shakeys etc were. About as close as you can come to the old style is the old style pizza huts which are getting fewer.

why is that, i use to love mazzios when it had the rope lights in the ceiling and tinted window, it was a fun experience, there really isnt any themed restaurants anymore, they just pop up over night and are square shapped, same tables, same ugly carpet, same lighting, what happend to unique places, i would love to see molly murphys, the choice, crystals pizza, peter pippers, geppetos in moore, and so on, nothing new lately thats original, even the joes crab shack off 240 and penn is blah, i rather drive to the one off n.w expressway, unless the remodeled it to be blah as well.

Most likely because it is cheaper to have a cookie cutter corporate design that can be built for X amount of dollars and just plunk them down in every city. They are all the same basically generic design and furnishings, that way the profits are more since it wasnt a custom design and was kept a simple basic interior and exterior.

Shotgun Sam's (39th & May location) was the pizza place when I was growing up. I also liked the Godfather's at 23rd & Meridian.

Shakey's Pizza is still around, I ate at one in Harajuku (Tokyo). It was definitely a bit different at that location than the old 39th Street location.

Remember the old Cains coffee commercial from the 70's? I found the Youtube parody of the old commercial when Cain's was an Oklahoma company.

YouTube - Hud Drinks Mud (Cain's Coffee com'l parody)

Let your life slow down
    Take a real look around
    Have a cup of Cain's
    For that flavor in moments you'll savor

And then give yourself some time
    And make it easy on your mind
    With a cup of Cain's;
    It's a coffee blend you'll want
    Again and again.

While singing and strolling, the coffee-loving crooner nodded familiarly at one table, making a circular gesture to the waiter indicating they should receive a round of coffee on the house.

In the last shot, the camera changed focus to follow the gaze of the now thoughtful-appearing entertainer (his hand mike at rest) to a steaming cup of Cain's coffee in the foreground.

I already miss Harold's...

Wow...so many good memories...

For shopping...(every girl's dream)...

John A. Brown's (best everything)My dad was the Santa Claus in the late 60's
    Katheryn Lipes ( my training years in shopping)
    Rothchild's (great dress and shoe depart.)
    Harzfields ( bought first designer dress there for the prom...$500 bucks)
    Cirque and Co (NYC meets OKC) 50 Penn Place
    Balliet's-late 70's when Buddy Rogers owned it
    St. John's and Vollbrecht's @ Northpark Mall
    Bargain Outlet??? behind Sound Warehouse @ May and Grand (precursor to DSW and others designer disc. stores)
    Loved the Cadeedid in MWC ( can't believe some others remember it as fondly)
    All the stores at Shepherd Mall and Penn Square when it first opened

For food and fun...Michael's Plum, Pistachios(disco and then cowboy bar)
    Faces, Confetti's and some disco/club in early 80's across the street from Confetti's (now Karen Black Kitchens) at 63rd and May. Some British couple first opened it and members (mostly men, sry) had to pay some ridiculous membership fee...well, come to think of it, it was the same at the others clubs, as well!!
    Wine Cellar @ 122nd and May
    Gaslight Dinner Theater just north of Northpark Mall
    Hungry Peddler @ Reno & Meridian
    Fred Gang's Meat Market on 39th Expwy
    Molly Murphy's (the best of the best)

Does anyone remember the place on 39 Expwy in the late 70's or early 80's that was only opened on Sundays. It was a restaurant with a dance floor that featured a band comprised of senior citizens and it was a great place for two-stepping. Also, anyone know the name of the club/restaurant where County Line Barb is now located??? This would be late 70's or early 80's.

Thanks for the memories...

Marlo

Crystals pizza, and Piggys BBQ downtown. Service Merchandise (dont know why really), Sound Wharehouse. sure theres about a 100 others just cant think of them right now.

I can't beleive no ones mentioned Hollies Drive In, it was at Western & Sheridan. It's now a McDonald's.

Thread Information