Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: If you could have ONE restaurant come to OKC what it would be?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: If you could have ONE restaurant come to OKC what it would be?

Mario's

It's a little Gyro shop in Salzburg.

Best damn gyro in the world.

That, or I guess I could settle for Alinea...

I actually leased space to Fuddrucker's on NW Expressway in the mid 80's.

As for a new restaurant, I would much rather have A Good Egg open another great concept than have another chain move in.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

As for a new restaurant, I would much rather have A Good Egg open another great concept than have another chain move in.
    Have you ever been to a Pappadeaux?

Pete,
    Where was it located? I don't remember them except on South Western. I did eat at Longnecker's on NW Expressway a bunch of times.
    C. T.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

Salt Lick BBQ

Arthur Bryant's from KC or Bone Daddy's from the DFW area.

Oh man, Bone Daddy's is an excellent choice. Great food and scenery

8. Default Re: If you could have ONE restaurant come to OKC what it would be?

I would love to have a Dairy Queen here, I know they are putting one in Moore, but I really want one in OKC. Growing up in Texas they were on every corner it seems, now I am going to have to drive 20/30 minutes to get a blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by elitespy View Post
    I would love to have a Dairy Queen here, I know they are putting one in Moore, but I really want one in OKC. Growing up in Texas they were on every corner it seems, now I am going to have to drive 20/30 minutes to get a blizzard.
    I was going to ask if it was too late to switch my vote from Buco di Beppo to Dairy Queen.
    (no kdng. tnx for stealing my thundersnark--#tndrsnk =)

Yet, seriously . . . If we (that is OKC) can't get An Upscale Dairy Queen . . . i suppose that i could "settle" for . . .
    Burger Emperor, 24/7/365. =)
    (a.k.a.: BE XXIV/VII/CCCDXV)

So . . . How about one that hasn't been "invented" yet . . . to "keep it local" and all . . .
    Maslow's Pyramid of Burger Needs?
    (a.k.a."Maslow's" for short, or simply The M.)

What the "hey" . . .
    Instead of squandering money on some pseudo-imitation Memphis-style faux-pyramid this could be a way to save and repurpose Stage Center!

(at the top is The Self-Actualization Burger.
    it consists of whatever you want it to be.
    at the bottom is vegetarian grazing/garnish.)

(just kidding . . . geez . . .
    Stage Center has got to go.=)

Casa Bonita

11. Default Re: If you could have ONE restaurant come to OKC what it would be?

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    Casa Bonita
    I loved Casa Bonita. I worked there form 74 to 77. Made some of my best friends there. The guacamole was fantastic and no one does sopapillas like they did.

Sammy's Pizza so I wouldn't have to go to the fair to get a calzone fix.

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BlackmoreRulz View Post
    Sammy's Pizza so I wouldn't have to go to the fair to get a calzone fix.
    Isn't there one downtown?

I was a Sammy's calzone fan. I found that Pizza House has pretty good
    calzone and close to Sammy's.

N.W. 23rd & N. Ann Arbor.

Not that I know of. They were supposed to put one in Bricktown last year but it did not happen. They always have two locations at the State Fair.

Bigray in Ok

Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    Isn't there one downtown?

I was a Sammy's calzone fan. I found that Pizza House has pretty good
    calzone and close to Sammy's.

N.W. 23rd & N. Ann Arbor.
    There is not a Sammy's Pizza downtown that I know of. They were supposed to put one in Bricktown last year but it did not happen. They always have two locations at the State Fair.

Bigray in Ok

I already mentioned Buco di Beppo, but besides that place I wish Bahama Breeze could return.
    (of course, I know that it won't but I can wish for it anyway =)

Ruths Chris for me please.

Quote Originally Posted by Wishbone View Post
    Ruths Chris for me please.
    ...count me in too.

19. Default Re: If you could have ONE restaurant come to OKC what it would be?

I am surprised how many people want branches of national chains here! I LOVE the restaurant scene here and think we have a wide variety of very high quality restaurants. I have lived in all four corners and the middle of the country and this city has a great dining scene. And many of my visitors from across the country have said the same.

But I digress, if there was one restaurant I could have here (although having it here would take away something I look forward to when traveling!) it would be Columbia Restaurant - Florida’s Oldest Restaurant a regional chain from central Florida. Delicious Spanish/Cuban food. So unique. I scratched the itch last March when I returned to Celebration for the first time since moving here. Soooo good. But I don't want them to open here because I don't want to see the homogenization of our nation's restaurant scene.

Quote Originally Posted by Celebrator View Post
    I am surprised how many people want branches of national chains here! I LOVE the restaurant scene here and think we have a wide variety of very high quality restaurants. I have lived in all four corners and the middle of the country and this city has a great dining scene. And many of my visitors from across the country have said the same.

But I digress, if there was one restaurant I could have here (although having it here would take away something I look forward to when traveling!) it would be Columbia Restaurant - Florida’s Oldest Restaurant a regional chain from central Florida. Delicious Spanish/Cuban food. So unique. I scratched the itch last March when I returned to Celebration for the first time since moving here. Soooo good. But I don't want them to open here because I don't want to see the homogenization of our nation's restaurant scene.
    Spanish/Cuban food, never had it, but, sure sounds like something that would be off the chart good.

Prunepicker Guest

I understand the gist of this thread and there's nothing wrong with it.

I believe we need to encourage new restaurants created and owned by
    locals rather than bringing in chains. A city can't be unique if it isn't any
    different than the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Celebrator View Post

I have been to Columbia Restaurant in Celebration. I thought it was good. I would not call Columbia a chain since there are only a few locations. Celebration creeped me out. It was a town created by Disney from scratch that reminded me of the Truman Show or the Stepford Wives. The houses had to be one of a few designs. Disney does not own the town anymore. A parent told me that a lot of people were pulling their kids out of the school in Celebration because they were trying to use a lot of trendy methods of teaching that were not working. That was in the year 2000. I do not know what it is like now.

Bigray in Ok

23. Default Re: If you could have ONE restaurant come to OKC what it would be?

We lived in Celebration for 8 years. We loved it. (But we love it here even more!) There actually is a lot of architectural diversity in town and it is all very attractive. The whole town is very pedestrian friendly with lots of preserve areas and lots of walking trails. It is all really well thought-out. The school there is a public school and is now operating at a high level of stability and effectiveness. It wasn't weird living there at all. We loved it because once you get outside town, Kissimmee isn't much to speak of for permanent residents. Well worth a stop if you are visiting Walt Disney World--it is about 10 minutes off property, so really close. And go eat a meal at Columbia, it is delicious and unique.

A place like Mile End deli would kill it in Midtown, but that would make too much sense. Because we need more burgers, obviously. This is a city without a decent deli. How that happened, I have no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by pickles View Post
    A place like Mile End deli would kill it in Midtown, but that would make too much sense. Because we need more burgers, obviously. This is a city without a decent deli. How that happened, I have no idea.
    Remember, there was the Midtown Deli in the location now occupied by Louie's.

But by all accounts it was poorly executed on lots of fronts and failed rather quickly.

Thread Information