Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Moore Memories

1. Default Re: Moore Memories

There was a two screen theater on the back (west) side of the 12th street shopping center. I remember watching a couple of movies there. When it closed, it was used as a haunted house/fundraiser thing for the Moore High School Band.

Default Re: Moore Memories

I miss those moore highschool haunted houses, they where actually pretty good, i really liked the one they did about 15 years ago in where the now flex gym is in the new city shopping center, an the one they did in the old mall that was pretty cool. I wonder if they will ever do another haunted house in moore?

The Haunted House that was in the City of Moore Shopping Center, was put on by some of my daughters friends.
    They were not paid to put it on, The money that was made, was first to pay for the production, and then it was a Fund Raiser that supported MS or Muscle Dystrophy...I can't remember.
    When it dissappeared from Moore, I think it first went to Chandler, then to McAlester, OK...One of the guys that produced it died about 1 year ago.
    His name was Yancy ???
    Alot of the actors were from the Drama department at Moore High...
    This was when my daughter was in High School...around 94,95

All I know is out of all the haunted houses, and i went to a lot of them (big haunted house fan) that was by far the best one , i think i was around 13 years old, It was done so well and I scared me a whole lot especially the pin head sceen and where michael myers follwed you down the stairs..loved it, i wish it was back or someone do something as good as it was in moore, maybe someone can use the old buchanans building for it...

Cindyl57,

His name was Yancy Cotrell. I also graduated in 94. He was a great person.

Greetings, board.

I lived in Moore from 1980-1987.

I think it was a Mr. Burger there on Telephone Road.

Used to stop there and listen to the Jukebox and chow some pretty good food.

A little ways down from that, going towards Santa Fe but not quite before you reached the radio tower there, I recall a wooded area with a few creeks.

I remember running around in there with my friends having pellet gun wars.

Hey you guys, since Christmas is almost here, what about your old Christmas memories...or, the memories your parents, grandparents have told you over the years. some of the best times in my life has been remembering the Christmas of the past years......Some I would love to re-live just one more time....How about you?

I owned a home in Moore mid to late 70's. Don't live there now,but I just can't believe how much it's changed from infro. from this site.

In the City of Moore shopping center there was definitely a Chuck E. Cheese. There was also TG&Y, Otasco, and The Dynasty Chinese Restaurant. On the backside was a movie theater. Does anyone remember the store "The Children's Playhouse"? It was a childrens clothing store that was in the section where Subway is now, there was a playhouse inside.

I remember Mr. Burger (they had the BEST fried mushrooms) and Taco Tico. Taco Tico had the lamest "play" area around, mostly just dinosaurs you could climb on & a couple of bouncy spring rides - I mostly remember that they were blazing hot to the touch in summertime.

hey i got thrown off that bouncing spring ride at taco tico, i was probably 4 years old. i know at the end of taco tico, the spring rides where all damaged due to big kids or adults messing with them, they didnt even spring up straight. The one thing i still miss is godfathers pizza, andthe old mazzios building, great after baseball games pizza parties

I am 49 soon to be 50. My parents moved to Moore were the 1st owner of the home located at 935 W Main. It cost them 9k and the payments were 68.00 a month. I remember taking the trolly to look at all the houses that were for sale. There were blocks of them. The neighboorhood symbol at the time was a Scottish guy with a tartin print and a hat, maybe even bagpipes. Our neighbors were the Eddy's, Walkers, White's Kerr's Cagles, Henshaws, Clevengers and Stemm's to name a few. We would play in the field (1000 block of Main). There was a cawdad pond there and a dump on Santa Fe which was a dirt road. I remember Plaza Towers being built. We had one car and would often walk to Thrifty-Wise and Taste-Freeze. We would fill up our Plymouth at the Apco on 4th and Wilson. I attended 1st Emanual Baptist when it had just the corner building with a gravel parking lot. This was before Danny Thompson.
    I went to the opening of the park and library, my first book to check out was Curious George. We shopped at Otasco and TG&Y. Our optomerist was Dr. Ledbetter. We would go to the creepy theater on Broadway and watch scarey movies. I got my first transistor radio (free) at Hoffmans when we bought a new mattress. Once at the City of Moore shopping center we went to the Easter egg hunt, I found several of the prize eggs (including the golden egg). I was on top of a mound of dirt looking for more candy eggs when this older kid came grabbed my basket took my prize eggs and candy, pushed me down the hill and threw my basket at me. Before my dad could get over there and beat this bully's A@@ he jumped on his sting-ray and rode off.

I started Southgate in 1964 my teachers were 1st Mrs. Goodwin, 2nd Mrs. Starkey and 3rd Mrs. Mobbs. My brother was a cub scout and we would go to Golf Acres to participate in the scouts activities. We would hear KOMA in our oven. We moved away on April 1st 1968 never to return

I remember when the Moore Taco Bueno was good. Way back in the day.

Are you talking about the Bueno on 12th and Santa Fe? Man I used to love that place back when I went to Highland West.

does anybody remember the two player game they use to have there at bueno it laid flat like a table. My parents use to take me and my sister there a lot. Grat memories with the family, i thought the entrance back then was really neat

Yep, Bueno at 12th & Santa Fe. To say I was appalled by the ugly 'futuristic' remodel a few years ago would be an understatement. Way back in the day, I went to Santa Fe Elem. and my homeroom teacher would go get lunch for us kids that did well on some test. That was a big deal....to be eating "out" in 6th grade! hello! Their quality has gone way downhill.

Speaking of "Moore Memories" anyone seen the NewsOK.com page regarding the May 3, 1999, tornados?

Compelling...I can't believe it's been 10 years.

http://newsok.com/may3?custom_click=lead_story_photo

Lived in Moore my whole life. On 12th and Eastern, I remember when that there was a grocery store there where today there is a Furniture now, but used to be a grocery store and had a movie store with it too. I remember that long long time ago and lived right behind it.

i use to live in that area as a kid as well, the easthills addition. That store was a pratts, when i wasa kid to me it had everything, movies, a cookie shop in back also a area where you could get something to eat and sit down, a nice florist area.

Pratts used to be a great chain of grocery stores. I used to live next to the one on 240 & Walker. Used to ride my bike from the Los Pueblos apartments across the field to Pratts and get a Fresca! Oh, the field was what is now David Stanley Chevrolet. Oh, how I hate typing that name. ...but that's a nother topic.

Quote Originally Posted by MrZ View Post
    I moved from Little Axe to across the street from Highland East in 1988. Went to Moore HS for junior year and moved during the summer near 104th and Western and went to Westmoore my senior year.
    I remember there was a pool hall/arcade on the frontage road between 27th and 89th. Spent a lot of quarters playing games there and took a few dates there. It became a statue place later and is now an RV place. I'm sure back in the day it was probably seedy as hell, but I had a blast there.

I remember 19th street flooding under the train tracks every time it rained a couple inches.

There was a big old white house on the hill right next to the train tracks. Always looked kinda spooky.

I was a photographer for the Moore HS paper and took some photos of the history teacher who would dress up in period clothing to teach. He was Teacher of the Year and time magazine asked the school for his picture and they used the picture I had taken.

I remember eating lunch at Kit's Chinese every day back when it was still fairly new. Made for a good school lunch and good times with friends.
    That was Mike Atkins, who passed away this week. RIP

Golf Acres, then a few years after that closed there was a Pitch N Putt across from Earlywine

Quote Originally Posted by Dio View Post
    That was Mike Atkins, who passed away this week. RIP
    Mike Adkins.

Yes, I remember. I think it was called "The movies" in Moore. I remember seeing Willy Wonka and the Chocolate factory there and years later I saw Led Zeppelin (The song remains the same.

Mr. Adkins died? Darn, he was a good teacher and an interesting character. My son goes to Moore HS and he would have loved to have him as a history teacher. RIP Mr. Adkins.

I bought a new house in Moore in 1972 (paid a little over 19K for it) around NW17th and Sunrise. Moore wasn't very large than, mainly NW 27th to SW 19th (north to south) and Sante Fe to Eastern (east to west), but since I came from a small town in western Oklahoma, Moore was huge!!!

I worked at Star Buildings on 89th and I-35. My youngest son was born in '74 at the Moore Municipal Hospital.

I remember the Mr. Burger, Mr Gatti's Pizza and of course Del Rancho. There weren't very many place to eat where you could go in and actually sit down, but with 2 small (and very active) sons, that was usually best for everyone to just eat in the car.

Someone mentioned being able to hear KOMA through their oven, I had a friend that lived close to the towers and they got the signal through their bed springs!!!

Moved from Moore in 1981, don't get back through there much anymore, but last time through, it sure had changed.

Thread Information