Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hefner Parkway Extension

Default Re: Hefner Parkway Extension

I think the extension of Lake Hefner PK is very much needed! That Deer Creek is growing at a rapid pace and putting stop lights on that 55 MPH RD is STUPID. And no we do not have enough highways. The KP needs to be extended sout to Norman also, but that area has grown so much, i don't think it will happen now, they waited too long because SOME people did not think it was needed. That is the reason to build the north extension NOW. people who say's we don't need these highways has no vision. Does Norman need a new highway? I am sure it does, I am not in Norman much. But a highway NW of Edmond had been needed for years.

I've got close family members that I haven't seen in years because they chose to make their home in northwest Edmond.

Extending the Hefner Parkway would rectify that. I say we do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I've got close family members that I haven't seen in years because they chose to make their home in northwest Edmond.

what?

Quote Originally Posted by sgt. pepper View Post
    I think the extension of Lake Hefner PK is very much needed! That Deer Creek is growing at a rapid pace and putting stop lights on that 55 MPH RD is STUPID. And no we do not have enough highways. The KP needs to be extended sout to Norman also, but that area has grown so much, i don't think it will happen now, they waited too long because SOME people did not think it was needed. That is the reason to build the north extension NOW. people who say's we don't need these highways has no vision. Does Norman need a new highway? I am sure it does, I am not in Norman much. But a highway NW of Edmond had been needed for years.
    Good post^
    It’s not so much a matter of who has the worst traffic as it is the fact that new 4 + landed highways are needed in both the Norman area and around Edmond.

Since I am not in Edmond as much I am not that familiar with their needs.
    But Norman needs another bridge across the river near the south end of Jenkins, an east side interstate by pass and HY 9 needs to be rebuilt and brought up to interstate standards and 6 landed.

They still have roads in the vicinity....just may not be 70 mph...

When it comes to relatives….. When there is a will, there is a way.

Sound more like extras in a Where's Waldo book than close family members. Then again, I've not seen a sib in Sallisaw in near on a year and dinna manage to chase down another sib when he came to OKC a few weeks back ofr a business meeting, so I probably oughta just still my fingers and shush my mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by ou48A View Post
    When it comes to relatives….. When there is a will, there is a way.
    Funny you say that, because one of the family members' names is Will. So in this case, there is a Will, but there is most definitely not a way. Not until they extend that highway, anyway.

Funny you say that, because one of the family members' names is Will. So in this case, there is a Will, but there is most definitely not a way. Not until they extend that highway, anyway.
    This isn’t the horse and buggy days.
    Do we need to arrange your transportation?
    I am sure somebody around here has a 4 wheel drive in NW OKC, or do we need a helicopter?

So they never go anywhere because they dont have a highway at the end of their driveway..?

I think there might be other road needs that should come first. And if they are that demanding about access to highways, maybe they should move closer to one.

I'm just taking the piss, y'all. I'm sorry, I thought it was more obvious than that. I don't know anyone in NW Edmond.

Can I still get the helicopter ride?

I'm just taking the piss, y'all. I'm sorry, I thought it was more obvious than that. I don't know anyone in NW Edmond.

That's good to know, because you never know.
    I have known people who were afraid to fly, afraid to drive on urban interstates and afraid to make left turns on a busy street.

13. Default Re: Hefner Parkway Extension

Oh, ODOT.. "Raping tax coffers and destroying our landscape all to unify loving families since 1960..." Nice ring to it.

I seriously don't fault them for not realizing you were being facetious. There actually seems to be people ready to believe that we need another highway in order for you to see your family. LOL

That's like me composing a sob story that I won't be able to get any food until we get another Walmart within .5 miles of my house. NO we do not need another $#@!# Walmart. But I digress (sorry, parallel logic)

14. Default Re: Hefner Parkway Extension

Quote Originally Posted by sgt. pepper View Post
    What about responsibility for the cost and planning ramifications of said new highways? There is no factual need for a new highway until there is a problem with our existing highway network. You can't even say, "well not now, but there will be if we don't wait!" because the point remains that our highway network is severely under-capacity. We need more traffic, not more highways.

I left downtown today around 5:30 and went to the outlet mall to pick up a gift, and I was worried that it might take 30 minutes to get out onto the edge of the city during rush hour, because I was in a hurry. Instead I got there in 15 minutes. Through a construction zone.

This needing a new freeway line is absurd.

Another perfect example of us paying for sprawl. If we ever have to extend the Hefner Parkway, let's make it a turnpike so those who want it pay for it. I haven't been to Edmond in a year and can see even less need for a trip to Deer Creek.

16. Default Re: Hefner Parkway Extension

I still don't think it's needed. I have yet to see anything here that would make me feel like it is. Highways are built based on the NEED, and there isn't one there. You may not like that there isn't a highway at the end of your street, but tough nooglies. Don't build there if you don't like it.

240 is a good example of what can be done. When it was still 74th, it was converted to the 74th Expressway, then 240.

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    Another perfect example of us paying for sprawl. If we ever have to extend the Hefner Parkway, let's make it a turnpike so those who want it pay for it. I haven't been to Edmond in a year and can see even less need for a trip to Deer Creek.
    that is a great idea

18. Default Re: Hefner Parkway Extension

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    I would not be against that. The same for an Eastern loop from Norman to I-44, or any of the others we've discussed in the past. I would expect nearly any new highway would be a turnpike to ensure its cost is covered.

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    I still don't think it's needed. I have yet to see anything here that would make me feel like it is. Highways are built based on the NEED, and there isn't one there. You may not like that there isn't a highway at the end of your street, but tough nooglies. Don't build there if you don't like it.

240 is a good example of what can be done. When it was still 74th, it was converted to the 74th Expressway, then 240.
    Summer of 1997, I would go to my job at Council & I-40 via Portland (HWY 74) from Nw 234th St. Even then, it was a nightmare so Im 100% positive that you have no clue...

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post

At 5:00 pm on any week day, try to drive north from the LHP. A six lane highway dumps to a two lane narrow road at 150th.... You can get tied up for a good hour if not careful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    At 5:00 pm on any week day, try to drive north from the LHP. A six lane highway dumps to a two lane narrow road at 150th.... You can get tied up for a good hour if not careful.
    But, wait. . . there is plenty of excess freeway capacity in OKC ... e.g., rumor has it there is no congestion on I-40 West during rush hour, so it's absurd to think we might need a new freeway elsewhere in the metro.

Next time you need to go north from the LHP at 5:00 pm on a weekday, just head out to the outlet mall instead. By the time you get back, traffic north from LHP might be cleared out. Problem solved. ;-)

Without traffic counts this is a meaningless discussion ("It's worse here than there)," or "They should do this before that"). Let's start with the counts on Portland either side of 150th - who's got them?

Quote Originally Posted by OKCTalker View Post
    Without traffic counts this is a meaningless discussion ("It's worse here than there)," or "They should do this before that"). Let's start with the counts on Portland either side of 150th - who's got them?
    29,098 just south of 150th
    19,354 just north of 150th

Those are 2012 numbers.

Excellent!

Quote Originally Posted by OKCTalker View Post
    You can also look at the what the state provides to compare.

http://www.okladot.state.ok.us/aadtc...ma%20%20County

The traffic count in 2010 on Portland at a point slightly north of 150th shows 18,100 cars/day. That's indeed very busy for a 2 lane road but nowhere close to most freeway counts around urban parts of OKC, which generally start at 70-80,000 cars/day.

Lake Hefner Pkwy between 122nd and Memorial averages 77,000 cars a day.

I imagine the large drop off in traffic is due to many people exiting onto Memorial or the Turnpike.

Just a comparison, NE 23rd/US 62 between 35 and the river, gets about 19,200 cars/day. I don't think anyone going through that section would agree a 6 lane freeway is needed.

Thread Information