Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Poblano Grill

Default Re: Moore Poblano Grill

I'm thinking it is about time they do away with the concept...Closed restaurants all over the metro now

Not surprised at all as they normally had 10-15 cars compared to Alfredo's 40-50

Poblano's food seemed pretty heavy on the stomach. That, and you seem to sweat big time for the next 8 hours digesting their food. I think Poblano's (I-35 Service Road) gave in to Alfredo's Mexican Grill just a couple blocks away. That place is always packed, and with good food and hot Latina women to boot.

My wife went to Poblano's a few times in conjunction with some coworkers' "nights out," and came away unimpressed just about every time. Said the emphasis was much heavier on the party/alcohol side than the Mexican food side, and that's just not my wife's thing. Food was only average at best, and was pricey, and believe me, it takes a lot to get a really negative recommendation back from my wife on a Mexican food place. It doesn't surprise me at all they've started closing en masse.

We were at the Poblano's in MWC a couple of weeks ago, although I haven't been by that area since. Still seemed to be doing okay when we were there.

5. Default Re: Moore Poblano Grill

Nothing is going to beat Alfredo's on that side of I35....you could see this coming when they opened at that location.

Had Alfredo's tonight...Food and service are the best in Moore

Hoping for a Johnny Carino's type of joint to go in there

It was Hiway food

On their website they list Midwest City and the one on May still being open. (http://www.poblanogrill.net/location.html)

Quote Originally Posted by Easy180 View Post
    Had Alfredo's tonight...Food and service are the best in Moore

Hoping for a Johnny Carino's type of joint to go in there
    This +1,000,000. Alfredo's rocks. In the many, many times we've been there, I don't think we've had a disappointing meal even one time. That kind of consistency isn't easy to achieve, and it darned sure isn't achieved by accident. Super place.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    This +1,000,000. Alfredo's rocks. In the many, many times we've been there, I don't think we've had a disappointing meal even one time. That kind of consistency isn't easy to achieve, and it darned sure isn't achieved by accident. Super place.
    Managers are the best...Even have their to go staff take out and show all items in the to go sacks...Really sets them apart even more

Poblano Grill in Moore setup in the old candy store and failed. Poblano Grill on I240 setup in the old Interurban (originally Don Pablos, a MUCH better Mexican restaurant) and failed. Seems like they have a pattern. I have tried them once and was not impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Easy180 View Post
    Had Alfredo's tonight...Food and service are the best in Moore ...
    Haven't been. Typically do Tarahumara or Tulio's, as I am based in Norman. Then again, Alfredo's isn't much of a drive from us. Wouldn't mind hearing more about it.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    Haven't been. Typically do Tarahumara or Tulio's, as I am based in Norman. Then again, Alfredo's isn't much of a drive from us. Wouldn't mind hearing more about it.
    It tastes like Ted's. If you like bland Mexican food like most do in the metro, you'll love it.

Pulled pork tacos with Kristin's special sauce are excellent...Be sure to get a side of chino beans with them

Alfredo's is good, but in Moore you can't beat Las Fajitas

If it truly tastes like Ted's, then I haven't missed a thing. Not a fan of of Ted's, which I consider to be all hype, no burro.

If it truly tastes like Ted's, then I haven't missed a thing. Not a fan of of Ted's, which I consider to be all hype, no burro.
    It tastes nearly identical to Ted's so I definitely wouldn't waste my time if I were you.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesimpsons82 View Post
    It tastes nearly identical to Ted's so I definitely wouldn't waste my time if I were you.
    Ditto.

Pablanos started out with one or two locations (Midwest City was an original location) along with another one somewhere in the city and a third up in Edmond iirc. The original owners sold out a few years ago and apparently the investors opted to add several more locations. At first I thought they were onto something. I always enjoyed the food at the location in MWC (still do, it's still open btw) but quickly figured out after visiting the Moore location that I wasn't getting the same service. A couple more bad experiences later and we quit going. Fast forward 8 months and they are closed...no surprise. It looks like the investment group opted to keep the two stronger locations open.

As a Ted's fan I can't agree the food is identical, I still prefer Ted's and probably always will. Similar? Sure, I'll give you that, especially considering quality of the food, pricing, and service (it's always been great). Despite all that I still find myself waiting in line to get Ted's though...just like I do at Tarahumara's. There's a good reason why those places have waits too.

Quote Originally Posted by bille View Post
    Despite all that I still find myself waiting in line to get Ted's though...just like I do at Tarahumara's. There's a good reason why those places have waits too.
    I always see Chili's packed. That doesn't mean the food is any good. It is actually pretty comical how much business Ted's in Norman has lost due to Chuy's being next door. Now they have a sign outside Ted's that says something like "Voted #1 Mexican in Oklahoma", yet people still flock to Chuy's instead. Gee, I wonder why.

I always see Chili's packed. That doesn't mean the food is any good. It is actually pretty comical how much business Ted's in Norman has lost due to Chuy's being next door. Now they have a sign outside Ted's that says something like "Voted #1 Mexican in Oklahoma", yet people still flock to Chuy's instead. Gee, I wonder why.
    Is Chuy a mexican restaurant? I go to Norman often and never seen Chuy's, I must be so blind but I was too busy focusing driving to notice restaurants....

Chuy's is a great Tex Mex restaurant, probably the best in the metro area!

I have been to Chuy's once, and it was awesome. It's not the same as Ted's and Poblano, more New Mexican style with a lot of there dishes including green or hatch chiles. They also don't serve the free queso like the traditional Tex-Mex restaurants do in OK. Overall though, when you compare the price and the quality of food I would choose Chuy's any day over these other two.

fwiw most sit down joints with even decent food in Moore will be busy, part of that 'phenomenon' they talk about with Moore businesses. I prefer to call it 'creatures of habit', not to mention people these days are pretty impatient and don't like to spend time driving/waiting to eat if they don't have to...unless it's worth it anyway. again this is just personal opinion.

We've yet to try Chuys but have seen it packed out a lot lately. Has it killed Ted's business in Norman to the point there isn't a wait any longer? Doesn't matter really, the day I can argue whether Ted's and Tarahumara's are inferior to a new chain in town is a good day for me because I love Mexican food and both those places do an awesome job of preparing it just like I like it!

Not that it'll keep me from trying the place out, I don't like the paying for queso, why is this trend taking on?

Quote Originally Posted by bille View Post
    Not that it'll keep me from trying the place out, I don't like the paying for queso, why is this trend taking on?
    I want to comment on this... lol. I have been to mexican food restaurants all over the country. And, I have talked to people that visit here from all over the country. What I've learned is that Oklahoma is the only place that does the free queso thing... Everyone is amazed by it, but it is such a pervasive thing here that restaurants almost have to do it to compete. My suspicion is that Chuy's will probably even start doing the same thing at some point.

As far as Ted's vs. Chuy's... I like them both. And, honestly speaking they are different enough from each other that I can actually pick either one based on what I'm looking for that night. Chuy's has more options for more New Mexico style cuisine, but on the other hand Ted's is always very consistent and sometimes I am looking for all the pre-meal queso/tortillas/salsa etc. It doesn't have to be either/or...

Thread Information