Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: OU Football 2024 Season

Default Re: OU Football 2024 Season

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    That outcome has absolutely nothing to do with anything.
    To quote Ross Gellar; You could not be more wrong. You could try, but you would fail.

2. Default Re: OU Football 2024 Season

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    To quote Ross Gellar; You could not be more wrong. You could try, but you would fail.
    You obviously don't bet FB spreads and have no idea how it really works. Save your snarky remarks unless you can justify them. And especially do not defile Friends.
    To say one game has anything to do with spread setting in general is asinine.
    So, does a weather forecast predicting clear skies and then the day has thunderstorms mean that weather forecasting is completely wrong.

You obviously don't bet FB spreads and have no idea how it really works. Save your snarky remarks unless you can justify them. And especially do not defile Friends.
    To say one game has anything to do with spread setting in general is asinine.
    So, does a weather forecast predicting clear skies and then the day has thunderstorms mean that weather forecasting is completely wrong.
    Wow

It's amazing that you could misunderstood this so badly.

Your basic premise is that those who set the lines have to get close to the actual final score so that people will bet. I said that they set the line to what bettors would expect it to be, not what it actually is. I provided the 2003 OU/Tx score as evidence of that. I also used a quote that YOU provided as evidence of that.

How are you not getting this? It's laughable. They don't care if they get it spot on or are off by 200 points. They care if they made money. How do they make money? By predicting what they think people laying bets think and believe. If they were wrong about what the bettors think then they will move the line to get closer to even money.

This really isn't that difficult. You're making it so much more difficult than it needs to be.

4. Default Re: OU Football 2024 Season

Wow

It's amazing that you could misunderstood this so badly.

Your basic premise is that those who set the lines have to get close to the actual final score so that people will bet. I said that they set the line to what bettors would expect it to be, not what it actually is. I provided the 2003 OU/Tx score as evidence of that. I also used a quote that YOU provided as evidence of that.

How are you not getting this? It's laughable. They don't care if they get it spot on or are off by 200 points. They care if they made money. How do they make money? By predicting what they think people laying bets think and believe. If they were wrong about what the bettors think then they will move the line to get closer to even money.

This really isn't that difficult. You're making it so much more difficult than it needs to be.
    Please go reread every single comment I've typed. Nowhere have I said anything about the bookmakers trying to predict a final score. Get off of that. They do predict a range of points the spread "should" end up at using a ton of analysis that goes into setting a spread. If you don't get that I hope you don't bet spreads. They don't just pull a number out of a hat hoping that's the best betting bait. Or try to read the minds of bettors to divine what number bettors will bite on.

Pretty obvious here who knows a thing or two about how sports wagering works. And who doesn't. Bill you know how it works, and I would assume you have placed a wager or two. You back up your argument with actual books and don't invoke fictional tv characters from the last century.

6. Default Re: OU Football 2024 Season

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    Pretty obvious here who knows a thing or two about how sports wagering works. And who doesn't. Bill you know how it works, and I would assume you have placed a wager or two. You back up your argument with actual books and don't invoke fictional tv characters from the last century.
    Thank you. I've studied mainly football betting the spread for decades. And I do place a decent number of bets each year. Last season I had a little better than 70% winning average. I don't make anything. I bet enough that it makes it interesting but not enough that losing would hurt.

True. But in order to do this the experts that set the spread/favorite try to be as accurate as possible. That gets both sides to bet. Therefore the initial spread should be a fairly accurate prediction of the outcome. Except of course that games go completely haywire as they get played.
    You told me to find it so here it is. Do I need to find others?

According to what you said here, the initial spread should be fairly accurate. So no need to move the line if that's true.

Again, they don't care how accurate they are. They're interested in the psyche of the bettors. How can they get more people to bet? Not how close can they be to getting the spread exactly right.

Oh, and I've bet on games too but I'm not gonna pretend that makes me an expert.

8. Default Re: OU Football 2024 Season

You told me to find it so here it is. Do I need to find others?

According to what you said here, the initial spread should be fairly accurate. So no need to move the line if that's true.

Again, they don't care how accurate they are. They're interested in the psyche of the bettors. How can they get more people to bet? Not how close can they be to getting the spread exactly right.
    Of the spread not the actual score. If you don't understand how accurate spread prediction generates maximum betting on both sides from the initial release you will never understand betting the spread. Period. There is no way for bookmakers to read the psyche of bettors.

Thank you. I've studied mainly football betting the spread for decades. And I do place a decent number of bets each year. Last season I had a little better than 70% winning average. I don't make anything. I bet enough that it makes it interesting but not enough that losing would hurt.
    Wow. Decades? And you still don't understand it. That's not even funny anymore. That's just sad.

10. Default Re: OU Football 2024 Season

Wow. Decades? And you still don't understand it. That's not even funny anymore. That's just sad.
    One of us understands. It's not you.

and don't invoke fictional tv characters from the last century.
    Things you say when you have no actual argument.

One of us understands. It's not you.

Yep

You got me. They absolutely care how close they get. If they're spot on correct, they get a lollipop.

Things you say when you have no actual argument.
    Wow, never thought you would admit it. You invoke fictional characters as you have no argument. Nice own.

Wow, never thought you would admit it. You invoke fictional characters as you have no argument. Nice own.
    Cute how you white knighted for bill. It doesn't take much to get you wound up.

What else are you two experts in so I can laugh at that too?

enough with the bickering... back to topic.

Can we stop and move on?

Reading this, I am convinced that one of you is saying

"The sun rises in the East and sets in the West"

And the other one is saying "No!"

"The sun sets in the West and rises in the East"

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    enough with the bickering... back to topic.
    Alright

Blog Entries

NCAA Re: OU Football 2024 Season

Friday, August 30, 2024

Temple Owls @ Oklahoma Sooners

Gaylord Family Oklahoma Memorial Stadium, Norman, OK

Kickoff 6:00 PM - CST * * * TV ESPN

19. Default Re: OU Football 2024 Season

Awesome! Didn't realize they'd redone the press box and west upper deck.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by catcherinthewry View Post
    Awesome! Didn't realize they'd redone the press box and west upper deck.

Not Yet.

21. Default Re: OU Football 2024 Season

Radar looks good right now. I want rain for the yard but just not tonight.

Blog Entries

NCAA Re: OU Football 2024 Season

Temple Owls 3 @ Oklahoma Sooners 51

Box score https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...meId/401628328

Gaylord Family Oklahoma Memorial Stadium, Norman,OK - Attendance: 83,329

Letting General Booty leave was a mistake the Sooners will soon learn to regret.

Quote Originally Posted by citywokchinesefood View Post
    Letting General Booty leave was a mistake the Sooners will soon learn to regret.
    Surely this is a joke. He’d be 4th string at best.

Quote Originally Posted by citywokchinesefood View Post
    It’s too bad he wasn’t better. He has an all time college football player name. If he started for OU, his NIL potential would’ve been unlimited.

Thread Information