Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Lofts at Maywood Park

1. Default Re: Phase II of Maywood Park -- Affordable Lofts!

My statements about suburban living were a recreation of your argument about urban living. So I agree, it is a silly argument. You are free to have all the opinions you want. I think the project is a great one in the context of urban design and living. I am excited about the entire Triangle area and what it could potentially become. I will be critical of certain projects because I may not like the building materials, layout or any number of things. I won't criticize an urban design because it is an urban design.

This thread is not about the appeal of urban living. It is about this specific project. You have entered a discussion about the quality of a horse relative to other horses and criticized it because it is not a donkey. You are opinion is valid, just not in this discussion.

Default Re: Phase II of Maywood Park -- Affordable Lofts!

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Downtown Guy View Post
    wuz . . . do you think that dusty is the former mranderson? BTW, spring is just around the corner and drinking and thinking on the paseo will be returning soon. Hope to see you there.
    Hell, I don't know... Sounds like he's cut from the same cloth to me. Let's drink!

Quote Originally Posted by wsucougz View Post
    Hell, I don't know... Sounds like he's cut from the same cloth to me. Let's drink!
    Don't think, just say me too. Become a card-carrying Sheeple. You will sleep better at night if you don't think so hard. When are you guys meeting in Paseo? Would love to meet and let you see the cut of my cloth.

Here they come:

5. Default Re: Phase II of Maywood Park -- Affordable Lofts!

That is nice to see. Thanks for the picture!

FYI, I drove around Maywood Park area the last few days. The lofts are coming out of the ground nicely. The sublevel area looks complete and they are starting on the first floor above ground level. The pedestrian park/boulevard across the street is progressing nicely and will be a nice pedestrian boulevard into Bricktown. I'm glad McDermid & Co. have the cajones enough to do a quality project and not skimp on things. The trees planted all along the 4 or so blocks around this area are nice size and some fairly mature. They aren't the $19.99 Saturday Special at Lowe's like some of these developers are using, but these are nice trees that will add a nice feel to the neighborhood once complete. I'll try and take some pics in the next few days and post them.

7/19:

9/21/08:

Bonus - Private residence next door:

Thanks so much for posting those.

That's really starting to look like a little urban neighborhood.

Anyone know what is going on with that building next door?

wsu, thanks for posting pics, I also took some on Saturday.

warreng, yes it is a private residence. There is a thread on it somewhere, I'll see if I can dig it up.

Ah yes, here is the old article, it's about halfway through the article it talks about the private residence on NE 2nd.

http://www.okctalk.com/okc-undergrou...t=rooftop+pool
    Last edited by metro; 09-22-2008 at 07:49 AM. Reason: added link

Steel work continues at the Lofts at Maywood Park. By Steve Lackmeyer, THE OKLAHOMAN

The Lofts at Maywood Park give downtown residents, developer a shock
    By Steve Lackmeyer
    Business Writer

Although most downtown workers are getting used to seeing housing construction, the latest steel structure rising from NE 2 and Oklahoma Avenue is catching accountant James Duran and others by surprise.

"I knew they were building housing around here,” Duran said when told the structure is the new Lofts at Maywood Park. "But I just wasn't expecting something like this.”

Developer Ron Bradshaw also is a bit awed by what he's seeing.

‘It was hard to imagine'

"It's even taken us by surprise,” said Bradshaw, who previously developed the nearby Brownstones at Maywood Park. "It was hard to imagine all this when it was just a bunch of old parking lots here and now there are four-story buildings. The massiveness of the concrete and getting this steel out of the ground makes it come to life.”

To date, 38 of 55 units are sold — an accomplishment Bradshaw credits to the lower and more desirable price points. The remaining units, ranging from 700 to 1,200 square feet, are being sold for $130,000 to $285,000.

Across the street, another residential project is moving forward, although owner Larry Waters admits at a "much slower pace.” Waters said demolition is under way at the two-story Clark Building at 16 NE 2, with steel expected to arrive within the next three months. Waters and his wife, Regina, are renovating the building and adding a third-floor penthouse. When done, the building will be the pair's new home, with a possible retail space to lease on the first floor.

What's next for the neighborhood?
    Bradshaw said he's confident enough in the market that he's planning to announce in the "near future” another residential project that will be built between the Maywood lofts and brownstones. He said his long-range plans include developing the block east of the lofts.
    "It's starting to look like a neighborhood,” Bradshaw said, "and that's what we're trying to accomplish.”

"I knew they were

building housing around here. But I just wasn't

expecting something like this.”

James Duran

I was shocked how fast this place went up. They must have some good money backing this up. It looks great though. Love the design of building, reminds me of Dallas uptown.

Exciting news Bradshaw & Co. have presold so many units and are now considering another residential project nearby.

This looks phenomenally successful. As slowly as Lower Bricktown has developed, this is moving forward with tremendous speed. There appears to be a huge market for housing like this. I could see brownstones filling up that entire area and eliminating a lot of those old metal warehouses.

16. Default Re: Phase II of Maywood Park -- Affordable Lofts!

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    To date, 38 of 55 units are sold —
    Not bad for this stage of development.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    Exciting news Bradshaw & Co. have presold so many units and are now considering another residential project nearby.
    I think the other residential project is great looking and a great concept too. Hopefully they'll publish renderings soon. It's exciting to see so much progress on what used to be four basically empty city blocks.

It also goes to show that smart developers with well thought-out designs can still market their properties in spite of the upheaval in the financial markets.

I'm really worried about The Hill... I know their first phase is progressing but you never hear any news about them and last I knew, they were having trouble moving their townhomes.

They're still hard at work on the Hill. I know there were people with deposits on townhomes there, but work has been so delayed that I don't know if they got their money back or are still planning on moving in.

The thinkgthat I think people might like about the Hill, as opposed to Block 42 or Maywood brownstones is that the first floor (at least in the models) is your main living floor. It feels more like a regular house. Some people clearly are put off by having to go up a floor to your living room/kitchen/dining room in the Maywood Brownstones. But, the prices are very similar for the two developments, and IMO the materials used on the Maywood Brownstones are far superior. I like the location better, too, personally.

The Hill is very much a suburban-style development and I believe that approach is going to backfire on the developers.

I think OCURA's decision to choose Canfield and his group has already proven to be a bad one. It was Bradshaw and his partners that offered a much more interesting project with true mixed use, and obviously their approach has proven to be more marketable.

I fear The Hill may turn into the modern day equivalent of Sycamore Square.

The Hill is very much a suburban-style development and I believe that approach is going to backfire on the developers.

I think OCURA's decision to choose Canfield and his group has already proven to be a bad one. It was Bradshaw and his partners that offered a much more interesting project with true mixed use, and obviously their approach has proven to be more marketable.

The Hill sucks. At least it's not eifs is about all I can say. They can't all be winners.

22. Default Re: Phase II of Maywood Park -- Affordable Lofts!

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    I think the other residential project is great looking and a great concept too. Hopefully they'll publish renderings soon.
    Betts, do you know if he's referring to Maywood Hall that will be directly east of Lofts at Maywood, or is he talking about something else?

Bradshaw said he's confident enough in the market that he's planning to announce in the "near future” another residential project that will be built between the Maywood lofts and brownstones. He said his long-range plans include developing the block east of the lofts.
    I take this to mean it's something entirely new and that Maywood Hall would be after that.

I'd say the Hill is far superior to Sycamore Square in that it's more upscale and high quality materials are being used. I don't think the Hill is bad at all as far as design goes. Really for me the only "awful" (from a design perspective) project we have in downtown OKC is The Centennial. Not only is the design bad but how it sits on its site is bad too. If there was anything I could tear down and build new it would be The Centennial, even more so than Toby Keith's and Bass Pro. At least the Hill, Legacy, etc. all are decent examples of good urban design.

25. Default Re: Phase II of Maywood Park -- Affordable Lofts!

I take this to mean it's something entirely new and that Maywood Hall would be after that.
    That's what I was thinking as well, but I know that Maywood Hall has not been "officially" announced, so I wasn't sure.

As far as the Hill goes, I think it is FAR more urban in design than Sycamore Square. Sycamore is completely and utterly suburban, right down to the gated parking lot.

Thread Information