Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: OKC mass transit announcement!!

Default Re: OKC mass transit announcement!!

FYI this is more than just modern streetcar.....

It's past midnight and it's still just a splash page to me.

Check again Welcome | Modern Transit Project in Oklahoma City content is now up and part of the gazette article is on the Gazette website, pick up a copy for full article...

The idea sounds really cool. I'm just very skeptical that the population at large will adopt it, or more importantly, use it.

5. Default Re: OKC mass transit announcement!!

Great site.

Will there eventually be maps of the proposed system?

8. Default Re: OKC mass transit announcement!!

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    Will there eventually be maps of the proposed system?

The naysayers will be out in force today.

I wouldn't mind one of these. However, it should go further west, east, south, and north, instead of just around the city.

I always got the impression that's what these things were for. Getting anyone living in OKC, around.

I think the idea as I've heard it is to build something that can be expanded upon. Therefore, you start out in the central city and expand accordingly over time.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    I think the idea as I've heard it is to build something that can be expanded upon. Therefore, you start out in the central city and expand accordingly over time.
    Would only those in the central city be taxed for it? Kinda like a TIF district?

It's my understanding that the project would involve improved CNG-powered buses to the whole city. The street car element would begin in the central corridor.

Post Re: OKC mass transit announcement!!

[QUOTE=Steve;225318] Bezdek is an architect and downtown resident and advocate.

FYI, Jeff Bezdek is not an architect and should not be referred to as such. However, he is a downtown resident and advocate and puts a seemingly tireless effort into what he promotes.

Quote Originally Posted by megax11 View Post
    I wouldn't mind one of these. However, it should go further west, east, south, and north, instead of just around the city.

I always got the impression that's what these things were for. Getting anyone living in OKC, around.

That's a whole different system, one that's being examined by the Regional Transit Dialogue and would most likely be funded by a region-wide transit district.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Streetcar systems are inherently local to a region's CBD/Core neighborhoods and do not expand much further than such. Mode of choice for longer distances is LRT or Commuter Rail; both of which were recommended by the Fixed Guideway Study and are currently being examined. The idea being that all modes (bus, Modern Streetcar, LRT/CRT) are connected through a single transit hub (i.e. Union Station or a newly constructed one near the CBD).

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    Would only those in the central city be taxed for it? Kinda like a TIF district?
    For the Streetcar, Yes. It's been historically difficult for central cities to get suburbs to pay for an exclusive system. However, when discussing a regional system (Bus and LRT/CRT) a tax district including multiple municipalities is optimal. See RTD

Love the idea but would like to see it be a looped system rather than an out-and-back.

18. Default Re: OKC mass transit announcement!!

Sounds great! It's weird, but every time a proposal like this comes up I feel like it may not pass. Given our recent history I don't really have any reason to feel this way, but I do. I'm with Cuat on this one. I'll be REALLY disappointed if mass transit is booted off MAPS 3. Especially if it were booted in an effort to repay Clay for the Thunder. Don't think the unfortunate scenario will happen, but it could. If the chamber backed off they did it for a reason. Who knows?

Oh yeah, the skyline shot on the Modern Transit Project page is freakin' awesome.

19. Default Re: OKC mass transit announcement!!

ok, I'm sorry, but I looked at the map for this, and the read all the supposedly informed comments and I just don't see how this will help in any way whatsoever.

It doesn't help traffic congestion.

It doesn't help commuters.

It doesn't look like this does anything more than what could be accomplished by adding an extra bus or 3 to the downtown area.

Sure, it means that in ten years(LOL!) we can say we have "mass transit" in OKC, but I can't see that as a reason to justify the cost.

IMHO, "Mass Transit" for OKC means a line system to connect Edmond, Moore, Mustang, The Village, etc... with the downtown area as a hub. That would alleviate congestion and cut down pollution.

fuzzytoad, most cities have a combination of light rail / streetcar / subway and commuter rail.

The plan would be to create commuter rail lines to the places you mentioned and connect it to the streetcar / light rail system.

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzytoad View Post
    ok, I'm sorry, but I looked at the map for this, and the read all the supposedly informed comments and I just don't see how this will help in any way whatsoever.

It doesn't help traffic congestion.

It doesn't help commuters.

It doesn't look like this does anything more than what could be accomplished by adding an extra bus or 3 to the downtown area.

Sure, it means that in ten years(LOL!) we can say we have "mass transit" in OKC, but I can't see that as a reason to justify the cost.

IMHO, "Mass Transit" for OKC means a line system to connect Edmond, Moore, Mustang, The Village, etc... with the downtown area as a hub. That would alleviate congestion and cut down pollution.
    If you truly read all the "supposedly informed comments" you would have concluded that this proposal is just a single part of an overall system, one that could potentially impact the entire region. Again, this would serve as the dispersion system for regional commuters arriving at a central station.

For example, an Edmondite would drive to a LRT/CRT park-n-ride station somewhere in Edmond, hop on the train, arrive at a central hub (Union Station, Santa Fe) and transfer to the Modern Streetcar to get to their job at the OUHSC or wherever. This proposal is for the Modern Streetcar component.

that map posted is an example and not necessarily the EXACT route that will take place. It's merely an idea of what areas need to be hit up. Don't focus so much on the exact route and funding mechanisms right now as much as promoting the heck out of this and getting viral, and being vocal to city leaders to run with transit. Most cities don't have the exact final details until after funding is improved and consultants are hired, etc. Many of you seem to be getting too critical but are supporters of mass transit, we MUST create the dialogue with the city, or I'm afraid this will not happen. We can finalize details after the city is on board.

23. Default Re: OKC mass transit announcement!!

Quote Originally Posted by PLANSIT View Post
    If you truly read all the "supposedly informed comments" you would have concluded that this proposal is just a single part of an overall system, one that could potentially impact the entire region. Again, this would serve as the dispersion system for regional commuters arriving at a central station.

For example, an Edmondite would drive to a LRT/CRT park-n-ride station somewhere in Edmond, hop on the train, arrive at a central hub (Union Station, Santa Fe) and transfer to the Modern Streetcar to get to their job at the OUHSC or wherever. This proposal is for the Modern Streetcar component.
    I did read all the "informed" comments, and I read the info posted at Welcome | Modern Transit Project in Oklahoma City

nowhere does it mention anything about connection to suburb areas of OKC.

The only mention of Light Rail connections was the Tulsa - Texas federally funded project.

Everywhere else is about this "Streetcar" revival which sounds more like an art project than an actual transportation project.

24. Default Re: OKC mass transit announcement!!

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    that map posted is not legit
    Then someone needs to let the maintainer of About | Modern Transit Project in Oklahoma City know that.

25. Default Re: OKC mass transit announcement!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    fuzzytoad, most cities have a combination of light rail / streetcar / subway and commuter rail.
    yes, I'm aware of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    The plan would be to create commuter rail lines to the places you mentioned and connect it to the streetcar / light rail system.
    Where does it detail this information on the Welcome | Modern Transit Project in Oklahoma City website?

I'll admit that I may have missed it when visiting the site, but the only place I've seen any details of connecting any real commuter areas to this "Streetcar" system are wishes and hopes from posters to this thread.

Thread Information