Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dave's Hot Chicken

Default Re: Dave's Hot Chicken

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Good to hear, I was disappointed with Nashbird, will give this place a try.
    Have you tried it yet? I’m curious to hear your thoughts on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Vu View Post
    I've driven by a few times this week trying to try the restaurant. Even at 830 on weekdays there's a line going out to the fountain.
    We tried to go at 3:30 on Sunday, and there were 20+ people out the door on a 100+ degree day. The line was 50+ after we left Fuzzy's. Looking forward to trying them, but not waiting in the heat to eat hot chicken.

Will be interesting to see where they open the other OKC area locations.

They had said up to 6.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Have you tried it yet? I’m curious to hear your thoughts on it.
    Not yet, I've put it on the list, though. We usually only eat out once a week, but I'm trying to make it twice because we're falling behind on trying new places (Mozz & Mari is our new place to try this week). And we usually don't go to a place until they've been open a month to work out the kinks.

5. Default Re: Dave's Hot Chicken

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Good to hear, I was disappointed with Nashbird, will give this place a try.
    I gave Nashbird 3 tries and disliked it more each time.... I've been to Prince's and Hattie B's and Nashbird didn't even come close to them.

And if you're in Vegas don't waste your time going to the Hattie B's there... It doesn't compare to the Nashville location either.

I'll probably give Dave's a try at some point but I don't consider it to be Nashville Hot Chicken. I do like a spicy chicken sandwich however and this looks like a better version of Chic-Fil-A to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    I gave Nashbird 3 tries and disliked it more each time.... I've been to Prince's and Hattie B's and Nashbird didn't even come close to them.

And if you're in Vegas don't waste your time going to the Hattie B's there... It doesn't compare to the Nashville location either.

I'll probably give Dave's a try at some point but I don't consider it to be Nashville Hot Chicken. I do like a spicy chicken sandwich however and this looks like a better version of Chic-Fil-A to me.
    Do you have any recomendations for in state bone in hot chicken?
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    Thanks.
    I really liked chicken and the wolf in Tulsa. I had a chicken sandwich but looks like they have bone in options as well.

8. Default Re: Dave's Hot Chicken

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    Thanks.
    Unfortunately no.

All the "Nashville" hot chicken I know of here is tenders or boneless breast.... I'm not in Tulsa often enough to know if there is any there but about the only place I still go for any kind of bone-in chicken is The Drum Room but they don't do Nashville Hot..

We occasionally make a run out to Eischen's but that's more of a nostalgia thing. I grew up eating fried chicken and nachos at Round-Up Pizza in Del City and Eischen's is the only place I can still get both.

I've not tried the new Babe's knock-off in Yukon yet.

I went there today. It was quite good and I will be back.

The food is akin to an In N' Out style of Nashbird's. I got hot option and it packed some heat.

I tried their craft beer. I didn't like it. It was like a worse Coor's Light. I couldn't finish it and I never leave a half full beer.

Wish they had ranch. That may be a no-no in the hot chicken scene but I don't care.

It's getting really good reviews thus far.

And people say that even if the line is out the door, they have been moving people through pretty quickly.

11. Default Re: Dave's Hot Chicken

Quote Originally Posted by floyd the barber View Post
    The food is akin to an In N' Out style of Nashbird's.
    That's not really the endorsement you think it is.

Quote Originally Posted by catcherinthewry View Post
    That's not really the endorsement you think it is.
    In terms of limited menu.

13. Default Re: Dave's Hot Chicken

In terms of limited menu.
    Gotcha, I thought you were comparing it to the quality of the food.

Wish they had ranch. That may be a no-no in the hot chicken scene but I don't care.
    What!?!?!?! No Ranch!!!! Isn't that illegal in Oklahoma? I might have to BYOR!

Quote Originally Posted by ksearls View Post
    What!?!?!?! No Ranch!!!! Isn't that illegal in Oklahoma? I might have to BYOR!
    I always BYOS... (Sriracha).

From what I've been told, this is the first Dave's Hot Chicken that sells alcohol. With Bogert's experience, they are piloting the beverage program through the OKC location.

^

Truth.

I really like the frozen peach club special at Spark (also by Bogert/Social Order). It's great on a warm day in the park.

And I bet the 3 frozen drinks they sell here (margarita, whiskey lemonade and vodka cherry limeade) are darn good as well after strolling the Bricktown canal.

Doesn't Social Order have the ability to create multiple locations around OKC for Dave's, should it be a hit (which it will be)?

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    Doesn't Social Order have the ability to create multiple locations around OKC for Dave's, should it be a hit (which it will be)?
    Yes, they are planning up to a total of 6 in the OKC area.

Quote Originally Posted by sooner88 View Post
    From what I've been told, this is the first Dave's Hot Chicken that sells alcohol. With Bogert's experience, they are piloting the beverage program through the OKC location.
    The Dave’s Chicken in LA have sold beer for sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    The Dave’s Chicken in LA have sold beer for sometime.
    A beer license is different than a liquor license.

Is Dave's as good as Nashbirds?

Haven't had Nashbirds in about 2 years but each time I had it I loved it.

I stopped in last Friday around 7 PM. There were about 10 people in front of me, but the line moved fast. The space itself (which is quite large) was maybe 2/3rds full.

Once the order was placed, it came out very quickly. Will be interesting to see if future OKC area locations have drive-thrus.

I had one of the sliders and 3rd from the hottest spice (there are 7 levels, so this would be #5). It wasn't overly hot; next time I'll go up one level.

They call the sandwiches sliders but they are a pretty good size. One was enough for me. It comes with "Dave's sauce" on the sandwich and then another little container. It seemed to be mayo-based and was tasty.

I really liked the flavor and everything came out nice and hot. It's different than Nashbird which has a much larger piece of chicken on their sandwiches and the coating is different. I like them both; good to have a couple of good options in town.

Quote Originally Posted by shartel_ave View Post
    Is Dave's as good as Nashbirds?

Haven't had Nashbirds in about 2 years but each time I had it I loved it.
    I've had mixed success with Nashbirds. It's never bad but the size of the patties on their sandwiches vary a significant amount and the spice levels are all over the place.

I checked this place out finally. It was pretty dead on a Tuesday night, and I think there was even a concert at Paycom - so it was surprising to see there was like 10 people total in the entire place.

The food came out insanely fast [almost too fast?]. I got Hot level and it was pretty good. Everyone else in the group got milder spice levels and the consensus was it was very salty. One person in the group got zero spice and their chicken was very dry and looked very non-fresh. The sauce was good and the fries were good.

I will go again, but it seems the spice level is the main flavor, so try to stay away from the milder ones.

Also the chocolate shake was surprisingly tastey.

Thread Information