Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Where did you live?

Default Re: Where did you live?

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerQueen View Post
    I grew up a few blocks north of 63rd and N May. I went to Burbank Elementary School, Hoover Jr High, and graduated from Northwest Classen in 1969.
    NW 67th and May, Burbank Elementary, Longfellow 5th Year Center (or whatever it was called), Hoover Middle, Northeast High. Used to play in the field that is now Ted's.

We lived in the 1700 block of SW 18th until 1962; attended Westwood Elementary from K - 2nd grade. Moved to NW 24th and Villa in the summer of '62. Got to watch 'em build Shepherd Mall (great fun for a 9-11 year old boy). Attended Cleveland Elementary (grades 3-6), Taft Jr. High, and Northwest Classen, graduating in 1971.

I see some other '71 grads have chimed in on this thread. I just got an email announcement of our 40 year reunion this week; doesn't seem possible.

Quote Originally Posted by BB37 View Post
    We lived in the 1700 block of SW 18th until 1962; attended Westwood Elementary from K - 2nd grade. Moved to NW 24th and Villa in the summer of '62. Got to watch 'em build Shepherd Mall (great fun for a 9-11 year old boy). Attended Cleveland Elementary (grades 3-6), Taft Jr. High, and Northwest Classen, graduating in 1971.

I see some other '71 grads have chimed in on this thread. I just got an email announcement of our 40 year reunion this week; doesn't seem possible.
    Class of '71 from Capitol Hill...didn't feel old until I thought about that..40 years!

Quote Originally Posted by BB37 View Post

My late wife went to Taft and graduated from Northwest Classen in 71. Her maiden name was Melinda Stone. I was from the southside and spent a lot of time in that area. I worked at the Humpty's at 30th and May, 23rd and Portland and 23rd and Rockwell. My wife grew up on NW 25th between Drexal and Classen. We met while I was working at the Humpty's on 23rd and Portland. Dated her Junior and Senior year. We got married in Oct of 1971 and was married for 26 years and 3 kids.

When my folks and I first moved to town in about 1965 (we had lived in Tulsa for a few years prior to that), we lived in the 4600 block of Westridge, just north of NW 39 between Meridian and Ann Arbor. Then they bought a house in the 2600 block on Adam Av., just northwest of 23rd and MacArthur (I used to walk over to the MacArthur Park 4 and the Westwood theatres on Saturdays).

When I moved out of my folks' house (they were divorced in 1980), I had an apartment at NW 12th and Billen, just northeast of NW 10 and May near the Fairgrounds.

Then I bought a house on SW 22 (I think it was -- been a long time), west of May Avenue behind the little airport there. Sold that one and moved to Bethany, 4600 block of N. Hammond, then out to an acreage in Newcastle; then a newer house in Norman, then moved away to Arkansas.

Wow, didn't realize there were so many.

early childhood on Ditmer Rd right behind Windsor Hills Elementary in 4th grade moved to NW 60th and Meridian. Went to Coronado Heights elem., PC Central Jr High (Not Capps MS) and graduated PCHS in 1982

Quote Originally Posted by jmpokc1957 View Post
    I lived at 6457 Sterling Dr. North of NW 63 and a few blocks W of Meridian. Nice place to grow up. Left for Oregon in 1976 so I'm not sure what it's like now. Did visit in 95 for my 20th reunion. Went to Rollingwood elem., Hefner Jr. High and Putnam City High School( 75 ).

I think about OKC a lot, especially in the summer. Not a lot of summer here in Oregon.

Mike
    Mike: do you remember Jerry's Kerr-McGee at the corner of 63rd and Meridian?

From 1946 to the mid-1950s I lived at NW 20 and May, one house east of the corner on the south side of NW 20 (except for my years at OU and in the army). I then moved to Ardmore for a year, but returned to my parents' house for a while before getting my own apartment at 729 NW 29 at the edge of the Paseo district. Lived there until my marriage in 1958, then moved to 1421 NW 8 (a two-story duplex with an additional apartment in the basement). Later that year we bought at 2737 SW 60 as one of the first homes built in that area when Ferguson developed it. The house is still in the family, owned by one of my sons as a rental. Moved to southern California in late 1959 but came back to OKC in early 1962. Lived at 1236 NE 44 for about 5 years, then on NW 24 a block west of Sheperd Mall until moving to Willow Creek Estates in 1982. As you can see I've been in most parts of the city over the years!

Quote Originally Posted by Rhetticent View Post
    Mike: do you remember Jerry's Kerr-McGee at the corner of 63rd and Meridian?
    Yes, I do. I remember four gas stations, one on each corner. They seemed to change from time to time. There was( around 1976 ) a discount seld-serv station on the NW corner. I remember gas wars around 25 cents a gallon! I also remember A Champlin(?) station on the SW corner. That one may of changed. It was a time when gas stations were also "service stations", and you got a lot more than going inside what is more like a restaurant or convenience store to pay like you do now.

No self-serve gas here in Oregon. People voted it down twice!

I hear it's a bit warm in OKC. The high here in the Portland, Oregon, area may be mid 60's!

Mike

Barr Ave. near 63rd and Meridian. Went Rollingwood Elementary in the mid to late 80's. That was a great neighborhood to be a kid in.

Perry, I lived on 64th and Cherokee Drive, right across from Rollingwood.

My four siblings and I all went K-6 at Rollingwood and all the way through PCHS. I graduated from PC in 1978.

double post!

N.E. 10th and SpencerJones Rd.used to be a great neighborhood but now is in the dumps

dmoor82: If you lived around NE 10th and Spencer/Jones Rd. you surely remember Greenhaw's Grocery, right?
    Or was that before your time?
    If it wasn't before your time, do you recall "The Legend of The Heath Brothers"? =)

Sorry. I digressed . . .

Jones (on the right side of the tracks) . . .
    Crutcho (in The Famous Historical Highway 62 Flood Plain Rundown Trailer Park) . . .
    Nicoma Park (not to be confused with Inacoma Park--nor Nichols Hills) . . .
    MWC ("The Northwest Side")
    MWC ("The South Central Historical Rental Property Side") . . .
    Jones (again, on the right side of the tracks) . . .
    Jones (the other side of the tracks) . . .
    To [Present Location--Right next door to Paradise]

Oh. Apparently the thread title means "Where did you grow up?"
    Not Applicable.

^^Yeah I grew up in MWC but lived in all parts of the city,but lived in this area the longest!Is this thread where you lived LAST or where you grew up?

Well . . . I'm not sure . . .

"Where did you live" could be interpreted at least a couple of different ways . . .
    I'm still alive so it's hard to know for sure.

Of course, if you spun it (the thread title) a different, more literal, way then I doubt there would have been too many response posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    Perry, I lived on 64th and Cherokee Drive, right across from Rollingwood.

My four siblings and I all went K-6 at Rollingwood and all the way through PCHS. I graduated from PC in 1978.
    I know the area well. I rode all around the area on my various bikes and skateboards in the late 80's.

The Sky Ranch Neighborhood between Western & Penn Just south of 89th St. In south Oklahoma City.

19. Default Re: Where did you live?

In the truck across the metro.

20. Default Re: Where did you live?

West side of Houston
    Sooner Rd in Moore
    SW OKC around 134th & May
    W 24th Street near the golf course in Norman
    North-central Calgary
    Uppsala, Sweden
    Back in OKC :-)

"Uppsala Sweden" . . . "Small world," as they say:

My Dad was raised on a small farm outside of Uppsala Sweden in the years following the turn of the last century . . . Then he migrated to Canada(!) at the tender age of 14 . . . and the rest is history.

I wonder if it (Uppsala) has changed as much (for the better--after a long decline) as has Oklahoma City.

22. Default Re: Where did you live?

Well, Uppsala is one of the bigger cities in Sweden but it's nowhere the size of Stockholm or Gothenburg. It's the country's primary university town, and it is also built around an enormous old cathedral. River separates the old town and the university area, and I doubt much has changed since 1700, let alone the last decade. It's just a beautiful, beautiful place..

I suppose that he probably would have stuck around there, but "family legend" has it that he had an authentic "wicked stepmother." (BTW: He made that trip across the Atlantic all by himself . . . at 14.)

Sorry, I digressed.
    Back to "Where did you live?"

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    dmoor82: If you lived around NE 10th and Spencer/Jones Rd. you surely remember Greenhaw's Grocery, right?
    Or was that before your time?
    I grew up 1/2 mile south of here. I do remember Greenhaws. Do you remember Pletts IGA on the south side of 10th at this intersection? dmoor82 is right about the neighborhood not being what it was, but it's actually getting better than it was in the mid to late 90's. Dad lived there until he passed away a couple of years ago.

25. Default Re: Where did you live?

Lived just east and north of NW 36th & May. Went to Sequoyah, then Taft and graduated from Northwest in '77.

Thread Information