Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Chicken Shack (formerly Drum Room)

Default Re: Drum Room

We went last thursday for lunch , the food was good, but straight up noon and there was only 3 tables filled. They definitely have a problem of some sort.

I've never gone for lunch - just dinner. It's always been full of people. I agree with sooner guru also. There were a few kinks at first but the last few times I've gone the chicken was outstanding.

I thought this was a bar until I opened this topic. I will be sure to give this place a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Garin View Post
    We went last thursday for lunch , the food was good, but straight up noon and there was only 3 tables filled. They definitely have a problem of some sort.
    I don't know about you, but going and having several beers and eating a mess of fried chicken is not something I typically do for lunch.

5. Default Re: Drum Room

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    I don't know about you, but going and having several beers and eating a mess of fried chicken is not something I typically do for lunch.
    You are missing out on one of the finer things in life man!

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post

You are missing out, take you and three friend order one chicken and some sides , replace beer with water and it becomes a pretty solid lunch.

Garin,
    Replace beer with water? Is that legal? If it is, it's at best immoral, unethical, and rude, crude, and socially unacceptable! I'm not a huge chicken fan, but I will have to give it a shot. And of course a beer or three. I'm retired, I don't have to worry about returning to the office.
    C. T.
    You are missing out, take you and three friend order one chicken and some sides , replace beer with water and it becomes a pretty solid lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    Garin,
    Replace beer with water? Is that legal? If it is, it's at best immoral, unethical, and rude, crude, and socially unacceptable! I'm not a huge chicken fan, but I will have to give it a shot. And of course a beer or three. I'm retired, I don't have to worry about returning to the office.
    C. T.
    I feel ya CT , work day lunch = no beer for me.

Garin,
    It used to be acceptable to have a beer, even two. And when having a business lunch (locally or on a business trip) a drink was the accepted norm. It changed a lot in my last ten years.
    C. T.
    I feel ya CT , work day lunch = no beer for me.

How is this place doing?

Haven't heard mention of it in a while.

11. Default Re: Drum Room

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    How is this place doing?
    I don't know about the evening crowd but last time I was there for lunch it was pretty slow. Maybe 3 tables including ours.

I haven't been in months, and a return trip won't be my idea. Food is okay, service is awful.

(I miss VZDs.)

They sure have a cool sign. Yet, I suppose it's like the old saying, "Never Judge A Cigar By Its Band." (I miss VZD's 2)

Blog Entries

Food is OK. Service just OK.

I go by there often. The parking area is moderately busy most times.

15. Default Re: Drum Room

I have been there four times and not once did I leave impressed. Their chicken is decent but not great. Their service has improved since my first time there but it's still lacking.

I want this place to do well but I'm not so sure about it's future. For a restaurant that focuses their menu around fried chicken, it's disappointing if you ask me.

I guess everyone does truly have different tastes. My wife and I have been twice now and we think the chicken is really good. It always bothers me when people talk about Eischens and how amazing their chicken is, because I think the chicken is good but nothing to freak out about and drive an hour away for. Imo, drum room is just as good if not better. Plus they have a special on Monday night for keep it local, I believe. Place seemed quiet when we were there though, so I hope they're doing okay. They'll definitely continue to get our business.

Quote Originally Posted by soonermike81 View Post
    I guess everyone does truly have different tastes. My wife and I have been twice now and we think the chicken is really good. It always bothers me when people talk about Eischens and how amazing their chicken is, because I think the chicken is good but nothing to freak out about and drive an hour away for. Imo, drum room is just as good if not better. Plus they have a special on Monday night for keep it local, I believe. Place seemed quiet when we were there though, so I hope they're doing okay. They'll definitely continue to get our business.
    I agree about the eischens love affair, really good chicken but nothing spectacular. The servings are gigantic but the prices have sky rocketed to a point that its no longer a good deal. Especially considering the travel and wait time.

18. Default Re: Drum Room

I was starting to feel alone in my positive opinion of this place. I've been there a number of times and I love the chicken. Obviously, I'm partial to the decor as well. For those who don't think their chicken is good, where do you go for fried chicken?

19. Default Re: Drum Room

I guess everyone does truly have different tastes. My wife and I have been twice now and we think the chicken is really good. It always bothers me when people talk about Eischens and how amazing their chicken is, because I think the chicken is good but nothing to freak out about and drive an hour away for.
    I like the chicken at the Drum Room also... The waffles could use some work but the chicken has always been cooked well and is flavorful and juicy. I've never been to Eischen's... I only stand and wait for BBQ ...so I can't compare the two but I do enjoy the Drum Room.

With that said the only chicken I would drive further than across town for is Babe's in Texas.

20. Default Re: Drum Room

Don't sweat not having been to Eischen's. All you've missed is small town ambiance and a road trip with friends. You can get better chicken from a grocery store deli case. There are three reasons Eischen's is popular:

1. Before the fire, the "oldest bar in Oklahoma" was really neat, and it continues to make for a good story
    2. Everybody loves a road trip
    3. Peer pressure. Nobody wants to admit that they drove an hour to eat mediocre chicken, and nobody wants to admit that they don't "get" something that everyone else claims to love

^^^ I feel the same way about Meer's. It isn't bad, but its way overhyped. I like Garage burgers better.

22. Default Re: Drum Room

Agree. The Meersburger is all about the setting. And the road trip. Makes for a great motorcycle trip, BTW. Pete's Place in Krebs is much the same way. There are better Italian restaurants...IN KREBS.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Don't sweat not having been to Eischen's. All you've missed is small town ambiance and a road trip with friends. You can get better chicken from a grocery store deli case. There are three reasons Eischen's is popular:

1. Before the fire, the "oldest bar in Oklahoma" was really neat, and it continues to make for a good story
    3. Peer pressure. Nobody wants to admit that they drove an hour to eat mediocre chicken, and nobody wants to admit that they don't "get" something that everyone else claims to love
    I love this. I complain about the quality to my folks all the time, and they get so defensive. I have never figured out why anyone swears by Eischen's. The road trip is great, and I've made it multiple times myself with the car club or on motorcycle. But if I lived out there, I doubt I'd ever eat there.

This is seriously how I view this place and when I bring up how mediocre it is people tell me I'm crazy.

Pete's Place in Krebs is much the same way. There are better Italian restaurants...IN KREBS.
    +1

Thread Information