Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Nic's Grill

Default Re: Want to go to Nic's...any tips?

You haven't been to Nic's Nick? He might be the burger Nazi, but they sure are tasty, not to mention being on Diners, Drive-In's and Dives didn't help the line. Keep in mind, his place has like 4 or 5 seats.

2. Default Re: Want to go to Nic's...any tips?

I don't think he's a 'burger Nazi' at all. The place is tiny and he has to maximize his profits from every table. He can't afford to have people taking up an entire table or stool just to split an order. He finally gave in and I think now charges $2.50 for sharing.

He takes the phone off the hook simply because he can't cook, clean, take orders and run the cash register and also worry about togo orders. He has one helper, but its still pretty much a one man show.

3. Default Re: Want to go to Nic's...any tips?

"Nic" is NOT a burger Nazi. The restaurant, if I recall right, seats about 16 people including the counter.

As noted, not EVEN a burger, um, "bad cop" or whatever you like that is on a lesser order than "Nazi" but still notorious.

He and his assistant are incredibly kind under an amazing amount of pressure, and very accommodating as well. I did not have an empty cup after being asked of my drink order once, upon many refills. There's no ban against mayonnaise (which, according to a friend who would know, still existed officially at Meers as of 2007). The man is talented and passes on a bit of his passion in every order. With all of this, one feels obligated to not wolf down, but perhaps not dawdle over that which they eat in order to make room for the next person in a place that seats---according to the Oklahoma Today article that ran in the Oklahoma City issue---15 persons. Maybe Nic added a seat since.

Okay. I'm sorry. What and where is Nic's? Reading your posts have really got me curious...and craving a cheeseburger.

Nic's Grill is a small restaurant located at 1201 N. Pennsylvania Avenue.

Nic's Grill - Inner City Northside - Oklahoma City | Urbanspoon

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Sounds like the Burger Nazi.
    Oh, rubbish. Nic's no Nazi. He suffers for his burgers. He demands perfection from himself, from his burgers. How can he tolerate any less from his customers?

That does remind me. Has there ever been any, oh, encouragement to move along swiftly?

I have never seen Nic or Javon try to hurry people out the door. They recently removed one of the tables and added a small counter where it used to be with five chairs so the total number of seats is 18 now. There are 9 seats at the bar, 2 tables with 2 chairs and the 5 new seats. I think they have added a worker in the back room who does food prep so there are 3 people working there now.

If you go on a Monday or Tuesday after 1:00 p.m. you are likley to encounter a smaller crowd than other days and times. I went there yesterday at 1:20 and did not even have to wait to sit at the bar. I am amazed how Javon keeps track of the customers as they come in. He seems like a really bright guy. I found out recently he has a Masters Degree in Kinesiology and teaches a class at O.U. I always wondered if he had another job since he works at Nic's from about 10:30 to 2:00 or so. Nics has great burgers and is a fun place to eat if you are willing to do something different.

Bigray in Ok

Thanks for clarifying, last time I went it was the bar seating only. Glad to hear they've expanded a few seats.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Thanks for clarifying, last time I went it was the bar seating only. Glad to hear they've expanded a few seats.
    its never been bar seating only ..

they just took away a table and added another window counter

Default Nic's Closed Today

I went by Nic's today at lunch and they were closed. Have they been closed all week? Will they be open tomorrow?

Bigray in Ok

Default Re: Nic's Closed Today

Hes been closed all week. Usually he has a sign up saying that hes closed for the week/holidays. I would assume he will be closed the rest of the week. This is the way things go on a one man restaurant operation, cant blame the guy taking off a few weeks in the middle of winter. I do need to get there for a breakfast pretty soon.

he is sick.

Get well soon, Nic.

Bigray in Ok

That is the life of a one person shop. Get well soon.

There is a BBQ restaurant in Denver that closed recently that was a one man shop for 25 years.
    Denver Post - Denver BBQ baron Louis Wolfe is packing up his smoker

He has a helper so it is not preciselyy a one man shop as he does not do it all on his own. However when he is not there the restaurant does not open so it is only a kinda one person shop.

He's not sick, he was on vacation.

Nic is the only one that cooks so it is kind of a one man shop. A lot of people do not realize that he actually has two helpers these days. Javon is basically the waiter and there is another guy in the back that does prep work. He added the third guy after his business spiked from the Oklahoma Today Article and the Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives episode. Nic's is my favorite burger place in OKC and I eat a lot of burgers. I hope he is able to open next week.

Bigray in Ok

Nic's was open today.

21. Default Re: Nic's Closed Today

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    That is the life of a one person shop. Get well soon.

There is a BBQ restaurant in Denver that closed recently that was a one man shop for 25 years.
    Denver Post - Denver BBQ baron Louis Wolfe is packing up his smoker
    How funny. I've lived in Denver for most of several years and hadn't heard of that place. East Colfax is a tough neighborhood.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage34 View Post
    He's not sick, he was on vacation.
    that's not what his answering machine said....are you calling Nic a liar?

23. Default Re: Nic's Closed Today

BillyOcean, Mirage34, don't even try getting into a fight here. Anything you do at this point will be seen as amateur hour compared to veteran OKC Talk cage fight guys like Spartan and Metro.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    BillyOcean, Mirage34, don't even try getting into a fight here. Anything you do at this point will be seen as amateur hour compared to veteran OKC Talk cage fight guys like Spartan and Metro.
    And Steve is like our Don King promoter....

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    How funny. I've lived in Denver for most of several years and hadn't heard of that place. East Colfax is a tough neighborhood.
    Is the Satire Lounge still there? I used to go there for Mexican food, believe it or not and they had the best enchiladas.

Thread Information