Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: OKC has already exceeded homicide total from 2011

Default Re: OKC has already exceeded homicide total from 2011

Quote Originally Posted by diggyba View Post
    Everyone is saying it was road rage . . . Scary stuff.
    "Road Rage"? Parking Lot Rage, perhaps . . .

I predict many more incidents like this, in this area, due to the addition of two more restaurants and a Sporting Goods MegaMart to an already saturated and grid-locked "Shopping Zone" . . . Especially around Christmas.

(I must say that I'm somewhat surprised that the shooting didn't occur on the other side of the turnpike, but with a name like "Target" I guess I shouldn't be . . .)

BTW: I have a feeling that the next actual "Road Rage" shooting we hear about will take place on what used to be Hefner Road between The Lake Hefner Parkway and Western. That dude who wrote "The Tipping Point" should have included a chapter on traffic density.

2. Default Re: OKC has already exceeded homicide total from 2011

I was going to make a bad joke about election years and Democrats and Republicans, but I think I'll pass.

On a more serious note, are people just stressed out because of the economy and the general State of the Union, or what?

I was walking today and a guy behind me stepped on my flip-flop. He said sorry and I said no worries. We both just kept going on about our day. Later, a guy with back pack brushed it against me. Neither of us said anything.

Quote Originally Posted by ShiroiHikari View Post
    I was going to make a bad joke about election years and Democrats and Republicans, but I think I'll pass.

On a more serious note, are people just stressed out because of the economy and the general State of the Union, or what?
    There is almost no chance that the economy and the general state of the union has had anything to do with any local homicides this year.

I see people yell and cuss at old ladies driving slow, and then see people hold doors open for old ladies walking slow. What is it about driving that brings out the worst in people and walking seems to bring out the best in them? Anyone else ever notice that?

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    I see people yell and cuss at old ladies driving slow, and then see people hold doors open for old ladies walking slow. What is it about driving that brings out the worst in people and walking seems to bring out the best in them? Anyone else ever notice that?
    Being semi closeted away makes folks meaner and stupider. Hmmm, that might explain some voting booth decisions too, but that's a whole nuther thread for another time.

YES. I am so mean when I drive! I would never yell directly at someone, but I do honk at people who barely creep into my lane and cuss them out to myself. Then, I pull up to the light next to them, and empathize with them. I think the road rage has something to do with the fact that being in a car takes the human aspect away from the other person. You can generally see the person in the car, but you can rarely see their face or make eye contact.

I am working on my habit of saying "you stupid bizzo!" if someone cuts me off .

In a country where we build an every increasing amount urban space that is low density and requires people to drive more and more is anyone still struggling to understand why we are becoming a more violent society?

On a personal note my wife yells at me all the time for not honking my horn at people. I simply reply that we are all trying to live in a society and my honking isn't going to make life more pleasnt for anyone. Of course, that only seems to make her more mad. I noticed that after I started riding my bike more I don't have the same 'bad attitude' when I do drive.

HangryHippo Guest

Sid, I noticed on Steve Lackmeyer's Twitter account regarding the murder at Quail Springs Target, you posted something about a document from 2007 and Chef Jason followed that with something about an episode of Cheaters. Was the homicide at the Quail Springs Target related to infidelity? I've seen that rumor elsewhere, but I'm curious about this article you mention. Can you share?

HangryHippo Guest

Hmm. Any idea what the Cheaters comment was about? I've heard that this was either road rage or infidelity. Do you know more?

If the "victim" pulled a knife, the guy that did the shooting, did so in self defense.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCSteel View Post
    If the "victim" pulled a knife, the guy that did the shooting, did so in self defense.
    Sure hope that the survivor of this encounter doesn't hire Irven Box to prove the point in court . . .

Quote Originally Posted by sidburgess View Post
    If this guy that did the shooting has a history of pointing weapons at people, do you think it is possible that the guy grabbed a knife after the suspect brandished a weapon? In that case, it would not have been in self-defense, right?

People are jumping to self-defense, and that may be the case, but David has a history of pointing guns. I'm waiting to see what the investigation says.

This gives a little more insight into his past and any references to infidelity are obviously incorrect.

Two men in fatal shooting incident didn't know one another, Oklahoma City police say | NewsOK.com

So now The News Media is spinning [IT] as Road Rage . . .
    And "local"--SuperKind--commentators/social engineers,
    in here, are comparing [IT] it to Off Road/NonVehicular Kindness?

I have to say that if I was angry enough to wave a twig
    at a madman on the path through the jungle
    and get shot immediately rather than clubbed to death . . .
    I would have preferred it that way.

I'm thinkin' the Max they can go for on the GunWavingGeezerRealEstateGuy
    with a prior conviction for pointing a weapon and anger management issues is voluntary manslaughter.
    "First Degree Murder"? Not even close . . . AsK Ralph Nader about Corvairs and etc. ....
    (stay away from IrvenBox and StillwaterJones)

Gerry Spence, RaceHorse Haynes or Atticus Finch mebbe. . .
    (john adams, perhaps? via ouija board?)

This guy needs to be removed from society permanently. He appears to be incapable of living with other humans.

Idiots like that give the gun control lobby a leg to stand on unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by sidburgess View Post
    If this guy that did the shooting has a history of pointing weapons at people, do you think it is possible that the guy grabbed a knife after the suspect brandished a weapon? In that case, it would not have been in self-defense, right?

People are jumping to self-defense, and that may be the case, but David has a history of pointing guns. I'm waiting to see what the investigation says.
    He does have a history. Saw that yesterday evening. I am not sure how they are going to prove this one unless witnesses come forward.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CaptDave View Post
    Idiots like that give the gun control lobby a leg to stand on unfortunately.
    Oh, right. God forbid we not bring up gun control. Let's leave the politics out of this one. A son/brother/cousin/friend/father was murdered over something senseless.

Senseless is the key word. I didn't intend to make a political point - more along the lines of a deranged person's act(s) leading to this young man's death for no reason at all. How has our society arrived at this point where so many people among think they are entitled to whatever they want regardless of cost? A middle aged idiot decided he had to get his way and we end up with crime scene markers in a parking lot. I feel terrible for the victim's family - the video of his mother arriving at the scene was heart wrenching. (But I see where you would get the idea.)

HangryHippo Guest

I see what you're saying. The victim had been a friend of mine since elementary school and it's hard to deal with his death. I simply don't understand how society has gotten here.

Road rage. Today's DO:

Two men in fatal shooting incident didn't know one another, Oklahoma City police say | NewsOK.com

Two men in fatal shooting incident didn't know one another, Oklahoma City police say David Bloebaum, the man arrested on murder complaint after a shooting at a northwest Oklahoma City parking lot, was convicted of pointing a firearm at a family's car in the past, records show. Police say road rage may have sparked the Friday shooting.

Jasen Yousif, 29, was killed about 4:30 p.m. Friday in the parking lot of Target, 13924 N Pennsylvania Ave. David Bloebaum, 57, was arrested on a murder complaint shortly after the shooting.

Sources said a knife was found at the scene.

Past incidents
    It's not the first time Bloebaum has been accused of pointing a weapon.

Bloebaum was convicted after a road rage incident in 2005 in which he pointed a firearm at a family's car as it traveled with two small children, according to court records and a police incident report.

He received a two-year deferred sentence on the firearm charge, according to the state Corrections Department.

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyOne View Post
    I see what you're saying. The victim had been a friend of mine since elementary school and it's hard to deal with his death. I simply don't understand how society has gotten here.
    Sorry for your loss. It really saddens me that we have created this society for ourselves but let me ask, do you really NOT understand how we go here? This road rage incident appears to be a two-way street with the victim being enraged enough himself to call the number on the car and yell at the other driver - and then apparently to follow him to a Target parking lot.

We just recorded homicide #72, this is getting out of hand. To put it in perspective, 75 homicides in 2009 were the most from 2000-2010. At this rate, we might tip 100 homicides for 2012, that's not good. But for whatever reason, homicide rates slow down in the winter months. The City definitely needs to get a grasp on this.

HangryHippo Guest

Sorry for your loss. It really saddens me that we have created this society for ourselves but let me ask, do you really NOT understand how we go here? This road rage incident appears to be a two-way street with the victim being enraged enough himself to call the number on the car and yell at the other driver - and then apparently to follow him to a Target parking lot.
    I think you're confusing two different stories. The victim did not call the number and yell at the other driver. That was the shooter's previous incident on the Lake Hefner Parkway.

And frankly, no. I do not understand how we've gotten here. In this case, what in the hell happened that made someone so mad he followed a person to a parking lot and murdered him?!?

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyOne View Post
    I think you're confusing two different stories. The victim did not call the number and yell at the other driver. That was the shooter's previous incident on the Lake Hefner Parkway.

And frankly, no. I do not understand how we've gotten here. In this case, what in the hell happened that made someone so mad he followed a person to a parking lot and murdered him?!?
    Ooops, you're right. That was from the previous incident. In that case a man with his family in the car made a dangerous situation worse, which is usually the case in road rage incidents. One person does something stupid and the second person reacts negatively to it. Watch any football game; the retaliator always gets the short end of the stick. Bad drivers and far too many people expressing anti-social behavior behind the wheel is one of the reasons I started riding a bike.

We have a violent society, from movies to books to music to TV to real life. This level of societal decay is new to America. It is created by many factors but not least of which is social isolation created by urban sprawl, government programs, greedy 'profit and all cost' business people, and a general decline of people who believe in God. As a people, we have been divided by 'leaders' for their own political gain. It has produced a hell of a country - broke AND violent (not a good combination).

So everyone make sure you catch the latest tv show with cheating wives, the lastest CSI episode, and stand by for the next Batman movie.

Thread Information