Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tulsa is 6th in Top 100 Best Places to Live, OKC not listed?

Default Re: Tulsa is 6th in Top 100 Best Places to Live, OKC not listed?

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    Every city needs more private high paying companies but you make it sound like having industries fueled by OU is a bad thing which it certainly is not. Most of the businesses near the OU Med Center in OKC are fueled by OU. Do you think any of those businesses would have been in Norman or OKC without OU?
    I am not saying its a bad thing, but Norman needs to learn how to hold its own without so much fuelation from OU. The Norman city councel needs to learn how to attract more high-tech industries, and Class A jobs, without outside support from OU.

Quote Originally Posted by Easy180 View Post
    Wait a minute...Draper has its fair share of dead bodies too thank you very much
    Not so much for Draper anymore. There was a time, to be sure, but it's been a right fair spell if my memory serves correct.

3. Default Re: Tulsa is 6th in Top 100 Best Places to Live, OKC not listed?

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    hmmmm.....ok good point, but most of these companies have been in Norman for over 10 years. USPS, Sysco, York, Astellas, Hitachi...etc...give me a major private company that has came to Norman in the last 5 years, or even 10?
    I can give you one that has left off the top of my head..Saxon..

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    I can give you one that has left off the top of my head..Saxon..
    May 13, 2010
    City lacking in large industrial sites, Wood says

By Andrew Knittle The Norman Transcript

NORMAN — The city of Norman is lacking in readily available large industrial sites that big-time employers seek out when they’re looking to relocate or expand, said Don Wood, head of the Norman Economic Development Coalition.

Wood discussed the city’s lack of large (more than 100 acres) sites with the Norman City Council on Tuesday evening during a study session, telling them that Norman needs to do something to have the right space at the right time.

“Time is the enemy,” Wood said of the process of luring large-scale employers to a new city. “When they decide they want to go, they want to go right away.

“You’ve got to take away the guess work.”

Wood said other cities, including Oklahoma City, Tulsa and Ardmore, are developing industrial complexes using public funds to get those sites in place. He said if Norman doesn’t do the same, or at least consider it, they risk being left behind.

No news to council

Wood’s statements shouldn’t be news for council members and city leaders.

Back on March 2, City Manager Steve Lewis, Mayor Cindy Rosenthal and other officials attended the annual Sooner Centurion Economic Summit at the University of Oklahoma.

During the NEDC-hosted summit, Bill Fruth, a Florida-based analyst who opines on local and state economies, said the same thing.

Fruth said Norman needs more land and facilities to attract companies looking to relocate. He said having someplace to build is vital.

“If you don’t have land, you’re not in the game,” he said, pointing to places like Amarillo, Texas, where city leaders build “spec” facilities that can be moved into almost immediately.

City governments, who can sometimes pass ordinances that make it difficult for businesses to do what they need to do to relocate or expand into an area, should work closely with economic developers to make sure regulations aren’t hindering companies from choosing their towns, Fruth said, adding that retaining and growing existing industries is more important than going out and getting new ones.

Attitude important

Fruth also said that attitude toward new businesses is more important than many believe.

“They (companies) don’t want to go to an area where they’re not wanted,” he said.

Where to build?

Wood said that north Norman is most attractive to potential employers looking to relocate because it is closer to Oklahoma City. He said smaller commute times for Oklahoma Citybased workers and the limited potential for large-site development along Oklahoma Highway 9 make the northern section of Norman more attractive.

During a recent discussion at a council study session, it was agreed that Hitachi was the last large-scale employer to make its presence felt in Norman. It was also noted at the meeting that Hitachi, which recently began expansion to its facility on the city’s south side, located to Norman in the 1980s — so it’s been a while.

Andrew Knittle 366-3540 aknittle@normantranscript.com

5. Default Re: Tulsa is 6th in Top 100 Best Places to Live, OKC not listed?

If proximity to OKC is an important selling point.. why not just locate in OKC lol. It's only 5 miles away.

I am not saying its a bad thing, but Norman needs to learn how to hold its own without so much fuelation from OU. The Norman city councel needs to learn how to attract more high-tech industries, and Class A jobs, without outside support from OU.
    Why bother? Stillwater attracts absolutely ZERO high tech industries and class A jobs, yet exists as one of the fastest growing cities in Oklahoma outside of the metro areas. And yet Stillwater has certainly been growing at a faster percentage rate in population than Norman has since 2000.

Exactly, but all those "green collar" jobs are in conjunction with OU. We need more private high paying companies to come to Norman, that is not fueled by OU.
    But that's the way it seems to work with high-tech--the presence of top engineering/science schools is often the catalyst for developing a large base of these "green collar" jobs. These universities create startup companies and provide a local talent pool, while local companies can leverage the resources of the university (at low cost). The best long-term way for Norman and OKC to attract these high paying companies (and to create new ones) would be making substantial investments in the engineering and science programs at OU.

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    That raises a different question all together: why is it that Great Plains states to the north seem to be more progressive such as Iowa, Minnesota, and Wisconsin while southern Plains states like Oklahoma and Texas are so much more conservative. Is it because we are more closely tied to the South? The states to the north, even Kansas and Nebraska, don't seem to have the religious conservatism that exists in Oklahoma for some reason.

Have you ever been to kansas? I played ball there my freshmen year and we were looked upon as hippies and thugs for the most part... The mennonites there are similar to amish... I dont see how Omaha compares IMO... cold most of the year and boring the rest of it.

Quote Originally Posted by semisimple View Post
    But that's the way it seems to work with high-tech--the presence of top engineering/science schools is often the catalyst for developing a large base of these "green collar" jobs. These universities create startup companies and provide a local talent pool, while local companies can leverage the resources of the university (at low cost). The best long-term way for Norman and OKC to attract these high paying companies (and to create new ones) would be making substantial investments in the engineering and science programs at OU.
    Agree, OU is key to OKC's future and the city is very lucky to have such a university so close. Austin's growth is directly related to the excellent undergrad and graduate science/tech/engineering programs at UT.

The University of Oklahoma is and probably always will be Norman's biggest asset. Any business considering relocation will know that. Why wouldn't the city use that for it's main emphasis? The University of Texas is the main reason that Austin attracts high-tech industries. Does Austin need to learn how to hold it's own without the university also?

Wood said other cities, including Oklahoma City, Tulsa and Ardmore, are developing industrial complexes using public funds to get those sites in place. He said if Norman doesn’t do the same, or at least consider it, they risk being left behind.
    Anyone have details?

[QUOTE=G.Walker;332147]Relocate America released it top 100 cities to live in 2010, Tulsa came in 6th, and Norman was also listed in top 100, OKC not listed, what is wrong with this picture?

One thing that comes to mind is that Tulsa has two nationally recognized museums, Dallas/FW at least a dozen between them, OKC none.

13. Default Re: Tulsa is 6th in Top 100 Best Places to Live, OKC not listed?

Once again, I've got to ask: at what point did Relocate America become the website visited by everyone on this board?

14. Default Re: Tulsa is 6th in Top 100 Best Places to Live, OKC not listed?

Some people go ballistic whenever the T-word is mentioned favorably, as though life in Soonerland were some sort of zero-sum game: every time you put something in Tulsa, you've effectively taken away something from Oklahoma City.

These people need their medications adjusted.

I am in complete agreement with windowphobe's statement. Oklahoma will not be able to reach its maxmium potential if the two largest metros continue to wish misfortunate for each. This same type of amonosity can be found between Greater Detriot vs. Western Michigan (AKA... Grand Rapids Metro)

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown12713 View Post
    I am in complete agreement with windowphobe's statement. Oklahoma will not be able to reach its maxmium potential if the two largest metros continue to wish misfortunate for each. This same type of amonosity can be found between Greater Detriot vs. Western Michigan (AKA... Grand Rapids Metro)
    Yes and look how that's worked out for them. Good examples to follow would be Tennessee (Memphis/Nashville) and North Carolina (Charlotte/Research Triangle). Each city should push the other to be better.

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown12713 View Post
    Yup...I'm glad Tulsa made the list, I live in a Tulsa suburb. I'm also upset and puzzled that OKC did not make the list. My wife and I have spent extensive time in both metro's and we both agree OKC>Tulsa but we do like both.

Blog Entries

Skyrick, I know you probably want to believe Tulsa has 2 "nationally known" museums to OKC's none, but that is a Tulsa ego speaking. Philbrook is well respected and a favorite of mine...but very limited. It has some recognition nationally, but not much.

OKC's Western Heritage Museum is at least as well known as Philbrook but focuses on a different demographic. It's collection of significant art is impressive, though not European centric nor renaissance style. OKCMOA is drawing exhibitions all the equal to, if not superior to those the Philbrook is showcasing, and has been much more diversified. I encourage to to do more research.

The Noble museum at OU is very well respected, as is the Fred Jones. If you haven't been to either or both, they you have no clue as to what you are missing.

And, the collection of valuable and significant art at UCO is impressive.

So, don't take a 1960 view of Tulsa vs. OKC that most Tulsans want to hang onto. Actually travel to OKC and see for yourself, if you have the courage.

Just went to Tulsa on a Friday about two weeks ago. I just don't get the fascination. Dowtown was dead during the day and the night...the more "hip" areas were OK, but nowhere in comparison to Bricktown. They just don't have anything like Bricktown. One thing people seem to forget about Tulsa...the big nasty refineries just southwest of downtown. That side of town is horrid, and it's smack in the middle of the city. The roads are attrocious, way outdated. To say that Tulsa is a big Edmond is just nuts. It has nice parts, but all cities have nice parts. The area is improving, but not on pace with OKC. OKC has set the pace.

Norman, Oklahoma City, Stillwater, Tulsa...they all have one thing in common: Elvin Bishop's, "Oklahoma Country Girl."

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Skyrick, I know you probably want to believe Tulsa has 2 "nationally known" museums to OKC's none, but that is a Tulsa ego speaking. Philbrook is well respected and a favorite of mine...but very limited. It has some recognition nationally, but not much.

OKC's Western Heritage Museum is at least as well known as Philbrook but focuses on a different demographic. It's collection of significant art is impressive, though not European centric nor renaissance style. OKCMOA is drawing exhibitions all the equal to, if not superior to those the Philbrook is showcasing, and has been much more diversified. I encourage to to do more research.

The Noble museum at OU is very well respected, as is the Fred Jones. If you haven't been to either or both, they you have no clue as to what you are missing.

And, the collection of valuable and significant art at UCO is impressive.

So, don't take a 1960 view of Tulsa vs. OKC that most Tulsans want to hang onto. Actually travel to OKC and see for yourself, if you have the courage.
    The Cowboy Museum is nationally reknown for Western art and so is Gilcrease in Tulsa. Both are major attractions and two of the best places in the country to see that type of art, and people come from all over to see them. Gilcrease in Tulsa also has an outstanding Native American collection.

OKCMOA and Philbrook seem to be on the same level as far as collections go with OKCMOA having more contemporary art including the fantastic Chihuly glass and Philbrook having more 18th/19th century European art, and its gardens and sculptures. Both get really good traveling exhibits from time to time. The Visual Arts Center proposed for the Brady District in Tulsa will have more contemporary art and part of the Adkins Native American art collection, while the other part will be at Fred Jones. Fred Jones is a smaller museum but one of the best university art museums in the country and, IMO, the top attraction in Norman besides the university itself.

Quote Originally Posted by proud2Bsooner View Post
    Just went to Tulsa on a Friday about two weeks ago. I just don't get the fascination. Dowtown was dead during the day and the night...the more "hip" areas were OK, but nowhere in comparison to Bricktown. They just don't have anything like Bricktown. One thing people seem to forget about Tulsa...the big nasty refineries just southwest of downtown. That side of town is horrid, and it's smack in the middle of the city. The roads are attrocious, way outdated. To say that Tulsa is a big Edmond is just nuts. It has nice parts, but all cities have nice parts. The area is improving, but not on pace with OKC. OKC has set the pace.
    That is true, there is nothing like Bricktown currently in Tulsa. The area around the ballpark could be similar someday but not in its current form. One major difference between OKC and Tulsa is OKC is more downtown-centric while Tulsa is more midtown-centric, as in Tulsa's midtown is far more vibrant than downtown.

Thread Information