Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: June 2024 - General Weather Discussion

Default Re: June 2024 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    Oklahoma in the center of the donut hole
    Seems like usual.

Quote Originally Posted by C_M_25 View Post
    Ugh. We had an amazing summer last year. Think we’re going to pay for it this year. I mean, early June and we’re going to be approaching triple digits?!
    The last amazing summer was 2020 when the temp never eclipsed 100 with widespread rainfall. 2021 was decent but 2022 and 2023 were both above average for temps and lack of rainfall.

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    The last amazing summer was 2020 when the temp never eclipsed 100 with widespread rainfall. 2021 was decent but 2022 and 2023 were both above average for temps and lack of rainfall.
    I don’t think this is correct. We had a ton of rain last summer. We also didn’t hit 100 deg until the end of July and had only a handful of days that approached 3 digit temps. I found the daily temps that support this but can’t find any graphs.

4. Default Re: June 2024 - General Weather Discussion

I don’t think this is correct. We had a ton of rain last summer. We also didn’t hit 100 deg until the end of July and had only a handful of days that approached 3 digit temps. I found the daily temps that support this but can’t find any graphs.
    Last year we had 17 above 100, 2022 we had 24 above 100.

The way this summer is setting up right now feels a lot like 2011 to me. That was a rough one.

Edit: per news 9, we have had 6 days over 90 deg already, but by this point last summer, we only had 1 day over 90.

The way this summer is setting up right now feels a lot like 2011 to me. That was a rough one.

Edit: per news 9, we have had 6 days over 90 deg already, but by this point last summer, we only had 1 day over 90.
    Oklahoma was already mostly in drought by this time in 2011, but June that year was abnormally hot and dry. Most of the state is currently drought free other than the NW corner and Panhandle.

It doesn’t look good for any kind of precip this month. Maybe we can get one of the MCS’ out of CO to head this way if the heat dome shifts east.

7. Default Re: June 2024 - General Weather Discussion

People are whispering "Heat Dome". Don't you say those words to me

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    People are whispering "Heat Dome". Don't you say those words to me
    Unfortunately the heat dome is the reality of living in the southern Plains. Most of the models show it shifting east toward the end of the month - keep your fingers crossed, go wash your car, etc. Typically it doesn't become entrenched here until mid-July, part of which brings the southwest their annual monsoon.

We didn't pick up as much rain as we typically do in NE OK during the early-June MCS season. The storm track has stayed too far south with southern Oklahoma and north Texas as the main beneficiaries. Kansas has also picked up a lot of recent rainfall which is good news as most of western KS is still in a severe drought.

Last two weeks

Rainfall through next weekend. A couple chances for mainly northern OK starting Saturday night and then again at the end of next week. Lots of rain forecasted over the next couple weeks in Kansas, hopefully some of that heads south

June is our second wettest month of the year. Not great that the rain chances have already dried up for us. Hopefully July will see some rain move in otherwise August could be rough.

But, but! I was told on here that Oklahoma was soaking wet and needed no more rain.

Despite the rain we got in April and May, things will dry out quick if we don’t have occasional storms move through. Especially when we get into the heat of late July to August.

In fact, driving home today, I couldn’t help but notice the vegetation is already starting to brown a bit on Hefner parkway.

Quote Originally Posted by bison34 View Post
    But, but! I was told on here that Oklahoma was soaking wet and needed no more rain.
    After incessantly bellyaching about the lack of rain in every weather thread for every month, you were bound to start being right as summer approaches. Gloating in June, July, and August doesn’t negate how goofy you sounded in March, April, and May.

15. Default Re: June 2024 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Mississippi Blues View Post
    After incessantly bellyaching about the lack of rain in every weather thread for every month, you were bound to start being right as summer approaches. Gloating in June, July, and August doesn’t negate how goofy you sounded in March, April, and May.
    Yeah, his monomania got so bad I had to add him to my ignore list.

Slight chance a storm moves into northern OK later tonight, better chances north into Kansas. Better chances for northwest OK Sunday morning with slight chances for NE OK.

Some tropical moisture will be moving into Texas next week which could bring some widely scattered storms next Thursday/Friday. Dewpoints will be high for the rest of this week into next week so heat index each day will be pushing 100 F. Potentially better chances of rain state-wide around Sunday 6/23 as a front stalls..

Just saw this - not sure what it means for OK other than there is a good chance we will have higher than normal temps this summer. Maybe some of the people on here that really understand the science could enlighten me / us??

https://www.yahoo.com/news/el-ni-o-d...130115377.html

Remember, La Nina (or El Nino) doesn't really impact us here during the summer
    months. ENSO impacts us through changes in the jet stream, and the jet stream
    retreats far to the North during the summer months as the temperature differences
    between the Arctic region and the sub- and extra-tropical regions diminish (i.e.,
    those temperature differences are actually responsible for the jet streams'
    existence). In other words, if ENSO impacts us through changes it causes to the
    jet stream, and there is no jet stream in our area to impact...it shouldn't
    impact us.

So keep that in mind, drought chances will be increased if and when that La Nina
    forms in the equatorial pacific waters AND atmosphere (ENSO is a atmospheric-
    oceanic coupled system). Drought is certainly not guaranteed, of course, but
    La Ninas have famously been drought starters in Oklahoma over the last few
    decades.
    from today's https://ticker.mesonet.org/

Feels like we were just in La Nina which started 2021 and ended in late 2022. El Nino certainly didn't bring the cold and snowy weather typical of El Nino in the past but ultimately did bring us out of drought conditions brought on by La Nina.

Typically La Nina years are drier with hotter summers and warmer winters. Though one of the coldest periods in the last few decades, February 2021, was during a La Nina year so ..

We in trouble. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Mississippi Blues View Post
    As usual, western Oklahoma could use more rain, but I can tell you most of that water that fell in my location in moore earlier this month just ended up in the Mississippi.

Mid-summer heat and humidity across Oklahoma for the next several days. Models are showing glimmers of hope for more rain and cooler temps toward the end of next week.

Last day of the horrible winds, today. Temperatures pretty normal until this weekend, when we get start to get real hot. Temperatures will be near 100F next week before a front moves in around Thursday.

I’ve actually been enjoying the wind…went for a walk around sunrise this morning and it almost felt cool outside.

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    I’ve actually been enjoying the wind…went for a walk around sunrise this morning and it almost felt cool outside.
    It's not a fun time for sand volleyball. Lol.

Thread Information