Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Relocate Cowboy Hall of Fame to Downtown

Default Re: Relocate Cowboy Hall of Fame to Downtown

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    Anyone notice how the people who want to keep it where it is haven't been there in years and those of us who would like to go want it in a more convenient location? If you owned a business and the people who want to frequent your store want you to move and the people who don't visit your business want you to stay - who would you listen to?
    So besides you, who all wants to move the place?

It will have several mechanical bulls--each surrounded by a different type of bob whar--representing the end of the free range cattle drives from Texas to Kansas City.

Quote Originally Posted by NoOkie View Post
    I can, when pressed, adopt the appropriate accent.

And I'm OK with the Urban Cowboy Hall of Fame, as long as it includes a shrine to Travolta.
    And if it is in the Stage Center...we can tie in the film exchange and have a showcase for Blazing Saddles. "Excuse me while I whip this out"

You put a coffee/pastry shop, museum bookstore, and free wi-fi in it and you would have to beat them off with a stick.
    Right now it has a restaurant, hosts conventions, has concerts, workshops on the grounds, etc. It is a dynamic operation and there is always something new going on out there. Easy as pie to get to, no traffic and just beautifully laid out. You really, really, really owe it to yourself to visit. I have always loved it but compared to even fifteen years ago, it knocks my socks off.

Quote Originally Posted by NoOkie View Post
    I barely fall into the Millennial category and it's probably my second favorite museum in town, after the Sam Noble Natural History museum. And I'm about as far from a cowboy as you can get.

I still don't understand why the exhibit with hundreds of different kinds of barbed wire is as fascinating as it is.
    OMG, I know what you mean. Last time I was there I spent 15 minutes looking at the barbed (bob) wire and even at the time was perplexed as to why I found it so fascinating. But it was! Good exhibit.

Quote Originally Posted by rezman View Post
    So besides you, who all wants to move the place?
    Clearly on OKCTalk I am in the minority on this topic - but that is nothing new for me. When a group of people are trudging though the jungle someone has to be on point hacking away at the bushes.

National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum

Do check it out, jtf. You may better see why the museum shouldn't be downtown. It's big and the grounds/layout was perfectly developed to compliment its current location. This is not a building where you go inside, shut the door and look at pretty exhibits. Absent the large grounds, it would just be another museum that was a checkmark to visitors.

Clearly on OKCTalk I am in the minority on this topic - but that is nothing new for me. When a group of people are trudging though the jungle someone has to be on point hacking away at the bushes.
    Clearly.

The Prix de West is the biggest draw for me at the National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum.

Quote Originally Posted by PennyQuilts View Post
    National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum

Do check it out, jtf. You may better see why the museum shouldn't be downtown. It's big and the grounds/layout was perfectly developed to compliment its current location. This is not a building where you go inside, shut the door and look at pretty exhibits. Absent the large grounds, it would just be another museum that was a checkmark to visitors.
    I've been there 3 times.

I've been there 3 times.
    Oh, I thought you said not recently. My mistake, then.

I haven't checked a map but I'm going to guess it's closer distance between downtown and the Cowboy Hall in OKC than it is between the Art Institute of Chicago and Sheed Aquarium.

Everything in OKC doesn't need to be right smack dab downtown. It's beyond ridiculous at this point.

I hear you, but to me, something like this is totally unnecessary. Kind of like building a dome on the capitol building "just because we have to have one", even though it is not uncommon as there were 10 or 11 other capitol buildings around the country without domes.

I agree with the earlier statement that not everything has to be located downtown.

If they moved Persimmon Hill and The Cowboy Hall of Fame and Western Heritage Museum to the south side of the adjacent highway, wouldn't that put it all within the ancient and honorable Grand Boulevard Loop and, therefore, in the uptown part of downtown?

They could also move what used to be The Oklahoma County Line BBQ--and is now part of the Krebs Urban Sprawl known as Gabriella's--at the same time.

Maybe they could rebuild that old A&W that used to be out there as well.

if you gonna dream, dream big. right?

I beg to differ SoonerDave. By moving it downtown I think it would heighten its profile and awareness in the City and becomes more a part of community than ever before - but that is just me.
    JTF, it probalbly would help it's (new business) daily foot-traffic. The out-a-towner might frequent it more. As a local, I enjoy the current location on the hill.

If therer is another / new museum that could incorporate the "Stockyards" district & on the river, would be a great location for something of heritage.

I've been to the cowboy hall of fame within the last 2 years and live in midtown. No way would I move it downtown. It's great the way it's setup in the current location and I couldn't really see it being rebuilt downtown. Besides, wouldn't it create another dreaded superblock?

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    If they moved Persimmon Hill and The Cowboy Hall of Fame and Western Heritage Museum to the south side of the adjacent highway, wouldn't that put it all within the ancient and honorable Grand Boulevard Loop and, therefore, in the uptown part of downtown?

They could also move what used to be The Oklahoma County Line BBQ--and is now part of the Krebs Urban Sprawl known as Gabriella's--at the same time.

Maybe they could rebuild that old A&W that used to be out there as well.

if you gonna dream, dream big. right?
    I don't remember what's across the highway but I'd vote to put the new OG&E tower there and leave the museum where it is.

Quote Originally Posted by mkjeeves View Post
    I don't remember what's across the highway but I'd vote to put the new OG&E tower there and leave the museum where it is.
    Directly across the interstate is a patch of woods butting up to the Wildwood neighborhood if I'm not mistaken. Across 63rd they've got a campus of some sort (eta National Guard training) and I think there used to be a place for weddings over there (ie, pretty) if I'm not mistaken (eta Ciles a Garden). Lovely area with rocks, hills and trees. I now live on the SW side of town and it doesn't come close to how pretty it is over there.

Quote Originally Posted by PennyQuilts View Post
    Directly across the interstate is a patch of woods butting up to the Wildwood neighborhood if I'm not mistaken. Across 63rd they've got a campus of some sort (eta National Guard training) and I think there used to be a place for weddings over there (ie, pretty) if I'm not mistaken (eta Ciles a Garden). Lovely area with rocks, hills and trees. I now live on the SW side of town and it doesn't come close to how pretty it is over there.
    Was called Coles Garden when it opened. It was owned by the founder of W&W Steel, IIRC. The big iron gates out front were actually from France and at one time were part of one of Napoleons retreats.

Quote Originally Posted by gjl View Post
    The Thunderbird Chapter of the Telephone Pioneers of which I'm a member used to have their monthly luncheons at the CHOF. I never went to one of those either. So is there a restaurant there or some kind of dining facility?
    Before I moved to Austin the last few Benham Christmas parties were out there and it was a very nice facility. It was large enough to handle the size of our party that had pretty much outgrown every other place it was held. My father still goes to the parties (retirees are invited) and I think the last few years they have had it at the Skirvin.

Anyone notice how the people who want to keep it where it is haven't been there in years and those of us who would like to go want it in a more convenient location? If you owned a business and the people who want to frequent your store want you to move and the people who don't visit your business want you to stay - who would you listen to?
    More convenient for whom? For a large segment of the population having it downtown would be less convenient. I don't see a critical mass of people calling for it to be moved, are they willing to pay for the land, construction and move?

If you really want to go, you find a way to go, it's not like it is a 50 mile trip out to the facility. There are plenty of other museum type facilities in the immediate area to group a trip out there if that is just so far to travel for you.

Never going to happen. Silly idea to boot. It is fine where it is at. Nothing to be gained by moving. Downtown being convenient is a load of bilge rot. I regularly attend social functions at the Museum.

My prediction - this museum will be located within 1 mile of MBG by January 1, 2034 (20 years from now).

After several recent trips to cities with major downtown historic art centers I started thinking it would be a big boost for OKC if the National Cowboy Hall of Fame were to relocate downtown. Not only would this boost downtown but I think it would also be a huge boost to the prominence of the center as well. Right now it is off the beaten path and barely visible from the highway and in a less the lack luster facility. Any out-of-towners would have to know it existed and where it was to even go to it. A downtown location would really enhance the awareness of it and place it in close proximity to a dozen hotel (by definition filled with visitors and out of town guests) plus it could get regular viewing on Thunder TV breaks. Their web site claims 10 million visitors since 1955 which is just over 170,000 year. They should be at 5 times that amount if properly located.

A new building for it would have to be huge and grand - even larger than life, yet close enough to the existing core that many visitors could walk to it or access it via regional mass transit. They could even break it into 4 or 5 separate museums (art, firearms, Rodeo Hall of fame, and Western Performers) each with it own building arranged in a museum district. Through in a facility for the Photography Hall of Fame and you could create a very special place. Along the east side of Central Park, maybe even using the International Harvester building, would be perfect.

Thoughts?
    I would rather see the Science Museum downtown personally. I like the Cowboy Hall of Fame where it's at. OKC should work on attracting a new tourist attraction to downtown, such as a real aquarium.

23. Default Re: Relocate Cowboy Hall of Fame to Downtown

I guess I have to ask NoOkie - when is the last time you went, and how many times a year do you go downtown?
    JTF, you've asked a few times about people going downtown. I for one go downtown often. We go to Thunder games, Barons games, Redhawks games, concerts, Toby Keiths's, Bass Pro, etc. We go downtown for those things so no, having the Cowboy Hall Of Fame downtown would not be on our agenda when we go downtown for any of those reasons. Where it currently is we go at least once a year for some event or to just go. If it were downtown our visits would go down, not up.

You put a coffee/pastry shop, museum bookstore, and free wi-fi in it and you would have to beat them off with a stick.
    Although the hours are limited to a long lunch period, (11 am - 2:30 pm) the food there isn't bad in quality or price. There is a bookstore and gift shop.
    Uncertain as to wifi. Never wanted to be reached when I was there.

My prediction - this museum will be located within 1 mile of MBG by January 1, 2034 (20 years from now).
    Isn't MGB a brand of coffee?

Say! Guthrie, OK, still has a walkable Urban Core. Why not relocate the Cowboy Hall of Fame (&whm) to Guthrie!
    They could put it over by The Monument to Masonic Order. And right after that, they could move the Capitol Building which is currently outside of The OKCUC . . ! Maybe, in order to save costs and maintain a positive cost/value ratio, they could park the dome over by The Bank Monument to That Geodesic Dome Dude. For the opening ceremony they could import The State Seal from over around 50th and Eastern Avenue (formerly known as East Street, back in the beginning) . . . it likes the Zoo where it's at right now, but it would probably get over it. If it jumps high enough out of its pond, it can nearly glimpse the future former location of The Cowboy Hall of Fame.

(amigo: did you get bit by some weird bug or plant while hacking through the jungle?)

Thread Information