Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Big retailer is eyeing OKC & Tulsa

Default Re: Big retailer is eyeing OKC & Tulsa

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    not "confirmed" but more than a guess
    That would be a great "get" for OKC. Never been and I've read that we have local steaks that are better, but the image boost will be worth it.

Is CHK still subsidizing Classen Curve or has that been cut back? If so, this is great for that area that they could lure it without all the incentives.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptDave View Post
    Of all these stores, give me REI and a nice grocery store like HEB/Central Market or Trader Joes's.

I think there is a great location for Trader Joe's/Central Market on Penn north of 150th. There is a large open field that could easily accomodate a nice store. You could even push the storefront to the sidewalk and have parking in the back. I think there are enough rooftops within their desired radius to make it viable. The right type of building would change the character of that stretch of Penn dramatically. It just needs a developer (and city building code) with a vision other than acres of parking on the streetside and a strip center at the back.
    Not sure that location would be great since there is a Super Target a mile away. Again, like other people have stated, the Gaillardia area really needs a good grocery store. The closest one is the Homeland on 122nd and Rockwell. Not sure who owns the land, but one right west of the Proton Therapy Center would probably do well.

A valid point about the Target - I think it would have to be a "destination" or preferential choice for it to work on the Penn location. Not sure about the Proton location because of the number of rooftops.

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    The closest one is the Homeland on 122nd and Rockwell.
    And that Homeland is one of the lowest-quality ones in the city, although 122 and May seems to be a bit worse. The Rockwell store is only half the area of the one at NW Hiway and MacArthur, and carries a very limited selection of brands. Its meat market, however, is good. I would expect Gallardia residents to go to Crest in Edmond before using Homeland!

In St. Louis, Super Target and Trader Joe's are in the same strip center. They literally share a parking lot. And Whole Foods and a full-service Dierberg's are across the street. No reason you have to have separation, if its a good location.

this is exactly why I'm not moving from the Kilpatrick corridor between Meridian and Council. So much land and I think in the next few years you're going to see some major retail and amenities along Memorial up there

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    Not sure that location would be great since there is a Super Target a mile away. Again, like other people have stated, the Gaillardia area really needs a good grocery store. The closest one is the Homeland on 122nd and Rockwell. Not sure who owns the land, but one right west of the Proton Therapy Center would probably do well.
    Most Gailarida folk I know go to Target on Penn.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kyle View Post
    And that Homeland is one of the lowest-quality ones in the city, although 122 and May seems to be a bit worse. The Rockwell store is only half the area of the one at NW Hiway and MacArthur, and carries a very limited selection of brands. Its meat market, however, is good. I would expect Gallardia residents to go to Crest in Edmond before using Homeland!
    That Homeland isn't terrible by OKC standards, though in any other city it would be the worst of the worst. The NW 122nd and May Homeland is downright disgusting, almost as bad as the 18th and Classen location. Probably the best option for that part of town is the Target on N Penn or the Wal-Mart at Hefner and Rockwell.

I personally prefer the Crest at Hefner and Rockwell, but do shop occasionally at the WNM across Rockwell from it, and have to use the NW 122 & Rockwell Homeland to find my favorite brand of bread and the Lance cracker sandwiches I prefer. Of all the far-NW area Homelands I've been in, the one at NW Hiway and MacArthur seems to be the best although NW 63 and May is by far the outstanding one on the north side of town. I've not visited any of the southside locations.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    That was probably before Newegg and Amazon cut to the marrow of the electronics superstore business model.
    I'm not arguing with this statement, but I will offer that I just bought a Turtle Beach headset from Bestbuy almost $15 bucks cheaper than anyone online. I always start my shopping online, but it's still worth it to check with the superstores.

^^^ Unfortunately I feel it is wishful thinking to even think H-E-B will ever come to OKC. They aren't even in DFW with their regular stores. It would be nice though.
    They have been focusing on their Mexico venture as this significantly less competition for their type of store down there. Being a privately held company they also tend to be a bit more methodical, an engineer that I know who worked many years for them said they are "plodding along" when it comes to expansion as is their modus operandi in comparison to many other retailers. He said that he could eventually see them grow in the region (including Oklahoma) but not for a long time. Some of the family wants to, some don't want to branch outside of Texas. They bought a chain out of Beaumont that had some stores in Louisiana, they ended up selling those stores after a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    They have been focusing on their Mexico venture as this significantly less competition for their type of store down there. Being a privately held company they also tend to be a bit more methodical, an engineer that I know who worked many years for them said they are "plodding along" when it comes to expansion as is their modus operandi in comparison to many other retailers. He said that he could eventually see them grow in the region (including Oklahoma) but not for a long time. Some of the family wants to, some don't want to branch outside of Texas. They bought a chain out of Beaumont that had some stores in Louisiana, they ended up selling those stores after a few years.
    Well if they are looking for somewhere with no competition, OKC is perfect. We have Wal-Mart and pretty much nothing else. Homeland is pretty much like Harvest Foods was when I lived in Little Rock or Bi-Lo in Charlotte. The stores were nasty, never busy, and pretty much a last resort for picking up things you forgot. I am sure a lot of OKCitians shop Wal-Mart out of reluctance and necessity, not loyalty. OKC does not have a mid-market grocer in the market like other cities do. This would be the perfect market for H-E-B. That said, wishing they would come here won't make them do so.

An REI down by the emerging river outdoor adventure district that was designed in a way similar to the one in Downtown Denver near their river would be awesome. Granted that REI is in an old converted power plant, but they could still build something similarly cool down here.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    An REI down by the emerging river outdoor adventure district that was designed in a way similar to the one in Downtown Denver near their river would be awesome. Granted that REI is in an old converted power plant, but they could still build something similarly cool down here.
    I imagine REI will probably end up either up on Memorial or in the Belle Isle area if they come.

We have three here in Denver, the flagship Downtown and one by Park Meadows Mall and the other in the Centennial Promenade shopping center. There is another one in Boulder, none of those three are anything like the downtown store. None in Austin are anything special, in fact the one in Round Rock (by Ikea) is larger than the downtown store.

I imagine REI will probably end up either up on Memorial or in the Belle Isle area if they come.
    Not if they're smart about it. Belle isle maybe, but definitely not memorial road. Given the outdoor activity boom going on near the river, they would be missing a great opportunity by not locating it there. Especially when all of those activities cater to the products REI offers. Rock climbing, canoe, kayak, whitewater sports, road biking, mountain biking, running, etc are all activities that are focuses of REI and are currently or soon to be offered down there. The only activities not available in the area are backpacking and camping, but there really aren't many options for those activities inside the metro. Similar to the REI in DT Denver, a benefit of that area is a venue to test drive many of their products (boats/bikes). The river is the perfect location for the first REI here.

Well if they are looking for somewhere with no competition, OKC is perfect. We have Wal-Mart and pretty much nothing else.
    You know, I think I'm experiencing a case of deja vu." I mean, swear I read a statement like this from someone here and tried my best to correct it, and darned if it doesn't come up again. So I guess I get to correct it. Again.

This is factually not correct.

I cite the Crest at SW 104th and May, the Homeland at SW 104th and Penn (to say nothing of the other Homelands mentioned here), the Sprout grocery at NW 63rd and Western, the SuperTarget on Memorial...I could continue, but the point is made. To keep saying "Wal-Mart and pretty much nothing else" is not consistent with the facts.

You may choose to limit your vision to WalMart, but I don't. I see numerous options. We have not made a significant grocery shopping trip to a WalMart in many moons. So we need to dispatch this "all we've got is WalMart" ethos. It simply isn't factual.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    You know, I think I'm experiencing a case of deja vu." I mean, swear I read a statement like this from someone here and tried my best to correct it, and darned if it doesn't come up again. So I guess I get to correct it. Again.

This is factually not correct.

I cite the Crest at SW 104th and May, the Homeland at SW 104th and Penn (to say nothing of the other Homelands mentioned here), the Sprout grocery at NW 63rd and Western, the SuperTarget on Memorial...I could continue, but the point is made. To keep saying "Wal-Mart and pretty much nothing else" is not consistent with the facts.

You may choose to limit your vision to WalMart, but I don't. I see numerous options. We have not made a significant grocery shopping trip to a WalMart in many moons. So we need to dispatch this "all we've got is WalMart" ethos. It simply isn't factual.
    Visit pretty much any other city and you will find, Walmart dominates OKC.

New REI Stores

Surely, if Overland Park can support an REI, OKC can as well.

It's one store I actively seek out when I travel.

I would be surprised if Ruth Chris went into Classen Curve. They rely on a lot of customer traveling on expense accounts. My experience is that they tend to locate where there is high office and hotel density, although there are certanly exception.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    I would be surprised if Ruth Chris went into Classen Curve. They rely on a lot of customer traveling on expense accounts. My experience is that they tend to locate where there is high office and hotel density, although there are certanly exception.
    Maybe the OPUBCO offices instead of mahogany?

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Visit pretty much any other city and you will find, Walmart dominates OKC.
    I have some idiot relatives who insist on shopping at Wal-Mart, even though Wal-Mart supports everything said relatives oppose. It is bizarre how programmed so many Derplahomans are when it comes to Wal-Mart. What's worse, these relatives would engage in a heated battle to ensure that everyone continues to support this corporate prostitute.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    I have some idiot relatives who insist on shopping at Wal-Mart, even though Wal-Mart supports everything said relatives oppose. It is bizarre how programmed so many Derplahomans are when it comes to Wal-Mart. What's worse, these relatives would engage in a heated battle to ensure that everyone continues to support this corporate prostitute.
    That's how my parents are. They always insist on going to Wal-Mart even if there are other options.

One thing many people who have only lived in OKC don't realize is the Wal-Mart saturation here is absolutely not normal. In OKC, you pretty much have to go out of your way to avoid Wal-Mart and you can count the acceptable alternatives on one hand (metro-wide). That is absolutely unbelievable and mind-numbing for a city this size. Even in Wal-Mart heavy markets, there is nowhere it is so dominating as it is in OKC. To top it all off, the Wal-Marts here are dirty, messy, and understaffed compared to stores in areas where they have competition.

I usually shop at Buy for Less on NW Expressway but I pass a Neighborhood Market and a Supercenter to get there.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Get them to watch 'Walmart - the high cost of low prices' if you can. Walmart doesn't just support government subsidy programs - they make it part of their compensation structure.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    Get them to watch 'Walmart - the high cost of low prices' if you can. Walmart doesn't just support government subsidy programs - they make it part of their compensation structure.
    Actually, i have discussed this and other things with them repeatedly. They are actually not idiots, they are nice and smart people, but they are in the Wal-Mart rut and they're not getting out any time soon. Also, they seem to think that Sam's Club is better for some reason?

Thread Information