Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Blockbuster Video leaving OKC Market. Store closing start mid feb

Default Re: Blockbuster Video leaving OKC Market. Store closing start mid feb

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helmet View Post
    Physical media has been pretty much dead to me for several years now other than XBox 360 games. All of my movies and TV shows are stored on a giant hard drive and streamed to my Apple TV. I'm up to 3TB now.
    Just how big did that implanted entertainment chip have to be? Sure glad the operation was covered by health insurance! =)
    (Aldous Huxley, in "Brave New World", foretold the day that Soma would be the "happy drug" of mandated choice. He never saw what REALLY lay on the other side of "The Doors of Perception" . . . =)

Physical media has been pretty much dead to me for several years now other than XBox 360 games. All of my movies and TV shows are stored on a giant hard drive and streamed to my Apple TV. I'm up to 3TB now.
    Isn't your hard drive a physical media?

Careful, those of us on digital storage will get hounded in here! Although it may come across harsh, we are simply stating the future of media. There is no reason to be in denial and take offense to it.

How dare us move on with technology.

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    Then you might want to have checked them out over the last decade if price is your main obstacle. They have a lot of $.99 movies and many new releases are only $1.99. A few are $2.99 - but that is still cheaper than pay-per-view. Also, they run specials all the time. They had a rent one get one on and off for awhile and such. Depending on the location, its faster to go into a blockbuster and check out than it is to stand in line at a RedBox or 7/11.
    I do not rent anymore, I just buy

5. Default Re: Blockbuster Video leaving OKC Market. Store closing start mid feb

I don't like storing my entire media collection solely on hard drives, because they fail. And if you happen to forget to back up your stuff, POOF. All gone. No thank you.

I like the idea of the "cloud" better. Amazon does this-- buy MP3s, download to hard drive from your "cloud", AKA their servers. At least these big companies have the resources and knowledge to make backups of backups of backups, so I don't have to remember to do it...

6. Default Re: Blockbuster Video leaving OKC Market. Store closing start mid feb

Quote Originally Posted by ShiroiHikari View Post
    I don't like storing my entire media collection solely on hard drives, because they fail. And if you happen to forget to back up your stuff, POOF. All gone. No thank you.

I like the idea of the "cloud" better. Amazon does this-- buy MP3s, download to hard drive from your "cloud", AKA their servers. At least these big companies have the resources and knowledge to make backups of backups of backups, so I don't have to remember to do it...
    I agree, I would't keep my only copies of my media on a single drive. But, fortunately most back up drives come with automatic backup software. The server in our home is 8TB (only about 4TB's used) and backs itself up every night to a 12TB external drive in our safe. Of that, 2TB is backed up to the cloud.

I prefer to copy all my DVD's and music to our home server and then put the hard copies away in storage (just in case). I also burn my own Blu-ray hard copy backups of files I really can't lose.

A home server is awesome. Started with just an old Apple laptop we had sitting around. You can stream your movies to any TV or monitor in the house, audio can go to TV's or just to inside or outside speakers, the server acts as our DVR now and can send the recorded shows to any TV of straight to our phone or tablet to take with us. It also allows us to control many lights, appliances and even the thermostat and alarm system and security cameras.

7. Default Re: Blockbuster Video leaving OKC Market. Store closing start mid feb

The exodus has begun.... This morning a sign was hung on the SE 44 and S. Shields location, "Store Closing."

It did also say "this location only." Maybe that simply refers to whatever deals are happening at that particular store. I assume they are still ALL on their way out.

Actually . . . I think the exodus began (or continued) with the closing of the store up around Penn and Memorial about two or three years ago. The one down at Penn and Britton closed last year . . . What am I going to do with all of these "Blockbuster Rewards Cards" that I never used . . .

9. Default Re: Blockbuster Video leaving OKC Market. Store closing start mid feb

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    The exodus has begun.... This morning a sign was hung on the SE 44 and S. Shields location, "Store Closing."

It did also say "this location only." Maybe that simply refers to whatever deals are happening at that particular store. I assume they are still ALL on their way out.
    All will be closed by Mid March. The sales are being timed by when the leases on the buildings expire. Norman location started over 2 weeks ago with their discounting. First week things are 9.99, second 7.99, etc. Went this week and cleaned up on the new releases they have left (a lot will probably be gone this week). Tulsa stores will remain open since they are bringing in over $7000/mo in net profit, whereas the OKC area locations were barely positive.

10. Default Re: Blockbuster Video leaving OKC Market. Store closing start mid feb

Stopped in. Still much better deals to be had on Craigslist and Pawn Shops.

11. Default Re: Blockbuster Video leaving OKC Market. Store closing start mid feb

The location at 12th and Alameda here in Norman is closing, which actually kind of surprises me since it seems like there were always cars there. But there's also two Redboxes on that same corner as well, so...

What about Family Video? How do they stay in business?

Maybe it has something to do with loyalty to a particular business enterprise?
    (sorry . . . I used the "l" word . . . =)

Side note: I thought that the Blockbuster location up around Penn and Memorial was particularly well managed. super nice people and a person who really seemed to care and go the extra mile in the direction of the potential customer. perhaps their location next to Walmartia was the reason they were forced into an exodus first . . . probably a lot of scribes felt that way about the invention of the printing press.

Perhaps all of this has something to do with the larger picture involving the apparent changes in migratory habits of other businesses . . . like Louie's . . .
    Perhaps we can chalk it up to a newfound resurgence in the popularity of actually cooking good food at home? and pawn shops, swap meets and clouds?=)

I remember about 2 years ago that Blockbuster had vending machines like Red box and they were Blue.
    I had 3 within a few miles of my house then one day they were just gone. There was also a retail store right by my house and a vending machine was literally in the same parking lot as the store.

I wonder with the all the retail stores closing that they might bring back the "Blue Box."
    They were $1.50 per movie and I used them frequently. Then they went away.
    Remember Blockbuster gets new releases about a month prior to RedBox.

14. Default Re: Blockbuster Video leaving OKC Market. Store closing start mid feb

Quote Originally Posted by ShiroiHikari View Post
    The location at 12th and Alameda here in Norman is closing, which actually kind of surprises me since it seems like there were always cars there. But there's also two Redboxes on that same corner as well, so...

What about Family Video? How do they stay in business?
    EVERY Oklahoma location outside of Tulsa is closing at the expiration of their lease. The East Norman Blockbuster, though the busiest in the Metro area, didn't even do $1000 in net earning last month.

15. Default Re: Blockbuster Video leaving OKC Market. Store closing start mid feb

Quote Originally Posted by OklahomaNick View Post
    I remember about 2 years ago that Blockbuster had vending machines like Red box and they were Blue.
    I had 3 within a few miles of my house then one day they were just gone. There was also a retail store right by my house and a vending machine was literally in the same parking lot as the store.

I wonder with the all the retail stores closing that they might bring back the "Blue Box."
    They were $1.50 per movie and I used them frequently. Then they went away.
    Remember Blockbuster gets new releases about a month prior to RedBox.

I doubt it. Dish Network owns them now and they are going down to only 500 brick and mortar stores nationwide. It seems the main push is for streaming services (if you are Dish customer) and direct mail. Their direct mail was great when I had it, but loses a lot of value without a local store to do an immediate exchange on.

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    Actually . . . I think the exodus began (or continued) with the closing of the store up around Penn and Memorial about two or three years ago. The one down at Penn and Britton closed last year . . . What am I going to do with all of these "Blockbuster Rewards Cards" that I never used . . .
    Their peak number of brick and mortar stores was in 2004

Thread Information