Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Southmoore Sabercats

Default Re: Southmoore Sabercats

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkasa View Post
    New Moore grad: '06.

I think Southmoore will have its own stadium, along with a new auditorium with the stage and everything.

I personally expect that MHS vs. WHS will still be "the" Moore War for a few years. The tradition is far too strong for a new school to change it so quickly.

Does anyone know when this school is supposed to open?
    'Allo, new here. Westmoore grad of '07, but I have always lived, literally, across the street from Moore. Odd, eh?

Anyhoo, according to the Southmoore website, they are opening in August of 2008.

I teach at Westmoore, have since day 1. Been in the Moore system for 30 years. Southmoore is scheduled to open in the fall of 2008. It will NOT have it's own stadium. It will have an auditorium and gym. The gym at Westmoore is a disgrace. The administration that accepted those plans when WHS was built, should have their butts kicked everyday for the rest of their lives. The principal for Soutmoore has not yet been named, at least as of July 1, nor has the work begun on the new faculty.

3. Default Re: Southmoore Sabercats

Quote Originally Posted by SOONER8693 View Post
    I teach at Westmoore, have since day 1. Been in the Moore system for 30 years. Southmoore is scheduled to open in the fall of 2008. It will NOT have it's own stadium. It will have an auditorium and gym. The gym at Westmoore is a disgrace. The administration that accepted those plans when WHS was built, should have their butts kicked everyday for the rest of their lives. The principal for Soutmoore has not yet been named, at least as of July 1, nor has the work begun on the new faculty.
    Yeah...They gym may suck...But how about those overhead coiling shutters and grills?

My dad and I installed them when Westmoore was being built

Put the big grills in Moore City Hall too.

4. Smile Re: Southmoore Sabercats

Quote Originally Posted by SOONER8693 View Post
    I attended Westmoore when it first opened (was the second graduating class in 1990)

What do you teach?

I have mainly taught Honors and General Biology I to sophs. I have had an occassional chemistry and Botany class.

6. Default Re: Southmoore Sabercats

There's some construction pics of Southmoore at this link:

Southmoore High School

7. Default Re: Southmoore Sabercats

As I understand it, Moore will be getting a new auditorium soon, and Westmoore will be getting a real gym. However, they will all three share Moore Stadium, as metro said, they aren't worried about scheduling. Edmond and PC both share 3 schools (and Edmond also has to deal with UCO).

What happens is that people start ending up with Thursday night games instead of always Fridays. It's already starting to some extent...the Moore/MWC game is thursday this year because its a TV game on Cox.

I'm always dissapointed in the architects in the Moore projects. They make things so generic and boring...no pizazz at all. It's an unmistakeable school building...a very boring one. Westmoore is just as bad...one sprawling boring single story bleh-fest.

Are they going to improve the Football stadium any. The upper deck on the home side doesn't match with the lower part underneath, there is a step that is over a foot tall, not very safe! And then the visitor side sucks all around, there aren't even bleachers, just stepped concrete, and they need an improved concession stand, and their own bathrooms over there also.

i go to brink and have to go to south moore and really wish they were called the southmoore pumas

It's funny how it's all band alum on here who have gone on to message board fame.

Speaking of Pumas, I remember voting on the mascot at Westmoore back in the old days and 'Pumas' being one of the choices. Face it...horrible idea.

interesting

I am also a WHs grad (95).........wonder what "label" the southmoore students will get stuck with HA HA HA

I am the new baseball coach at Southmoore and we will begin competing as a team next May against other high schools in the summer league. Uniforms will be Navy and Vegas Gold with Red as an accent color. Almost like Tulsa except the Gold is a little different.
    The official spelling of the mascot is SaberCats. It appears about 90% of the players will come from Westmoore.

13. Default Re: Southmoore Sabercats

Quote Originally Posted by senfield57 View Post
    I am the new baseball coach at Southmoore and we will begin competing as a team next May against other high schools in the summer league. Uniforms will be Navy and Vegas Gold with Red as an accent color. Almost like Tulsa except the Gold is a little different.
    The official spelling of the mascot is SaberCats. It appears about 90% of the players will come from Westmoore.
    Congrats! Have you coached within the Moore system before?

If all stays the same, my daughter should be at Southmoore in about 5 years. OMG...I can't believe how short of time that really is. YIKES!

No. I was in the Norman Public Schools for 14 years and was in Texas for three years before that. I have been at Mustang High School for the last 3 years. My wife teaches at Santa Fe Elementary which is just about a mile away. It is going to be a technologically advanced school with a lot of neat features. I have looked at the plans and it is a very impressive looking facility.

It's funny how it's all band alum on here who have gone on to message board fame.

Well I am not a Band Alum, but my brother is. He graduated from Moore in 83??? I think...
    Ed Jones...Married his High School Sweetheart. Cyndi Poindexter...Still together YIKES...That runs in our familys...Mike and I have been married since 1974...
    We raised 3 Moorons...and they all attended Moore High..Now my Son and my daughters children are in the Moore school district and unless they move...My gkids will go to Moore High also..Gee...it is a generation thing...I grad in 75 and they were building the "New" Gymnasium and Swimming pool...Does WestMoore or SouthMoore have a pool as well????Just wondering..

Cindy

16. Default Re: Southmoore Sabercats

Quote Originally Posted by senfield57 View Post
    No. I was in the Norman Public Schools for 14 years and was in Texas for three years before that. I have been at Mustang High School for the last 3 years. My wife teaches at Santa Fe Elementary which is just about a mile away. It is going to be a technologically advanced school with a lot of neat features. I have looked at the plans and it is a very impressive looking facility.
    Santa Fe is where my daughter goes now. What grade does your wife teach?

17. Default Re: Southmoore Sabercats

Quote Originally Posted by cindyl57 View Post

Well I am not a Band Alum, but my brother is. He graduated from Moore in 83??? I think...
    Ed Jones...Married his High School Sweetheart. Cyndi Poindexter...Still together YIKES...That runs in our familys...Mike and I have been married since 1974...
    We raised 3 Moorons...and they all attended Moore High..Now my Son and my daughters children are in the Moore school district and unless they move...My gkids will go to Moore High also..Gee...it is a generation thing...I grad in 75 and they were building the "New" Gymnasium and Swimming pool...Does WestMoore or SouthMoore have a pool as well????Just wondering..

Cindy

Westmoore does not have a pool and I do not believe that Southmoore will have one either.

I'm not sure if this is still the case, but at one time Westmoore was using the OCCC swim complex as their "home pool" for swim meets, etc.

She is a sixth grade teacher.

I read that Southmoore will be grades 9-12, will Moore & Westmoore be doing this as well.

20. Default Re: Southmoore Sabercats

Quote Originally Posted by russellc View Post
    I read that Southmoore will be grades 9-12, will Moore & Westmoore be doing this as well.
    That is correct. The jr high schools are going back to mid-high's, 7th and 8th grade.

will it be closed campus????

22. Default Re: Southmoore Sabercats

Quote Originally Posted by sooner1racing View Post
    will it be closed campus????
    I haven't heard. The two high schools aren't closed campus now, are they?

I vaguely remember seeing many teenie-boppers crowding the local food establishments around lunch time, so I'm thinking that it's open campus now.

I can't imagine have a closed campus with that many kids.

23. Default Re: Southmoore Sabercats

I would imagine they will do what Mid-Del did. Continue to let the 10-12 go off-campus, but require freshmen to stay on-campus. I don't know if the other Mid-Del highs did, but MWC altered the lunch schedules so that the freshmen don't have lunch at the same time as everyone else. Instead, they go to 3rd hour and halfway through have lunch and go back to 3rd hour. That way they don't mix the populations, and the cafeteria isn't big enough to handle everone anyway.

It works at MWC though because they built a new wing where the freshmen are isolated and don't normally interact with the 10-12 population anyway.

I got a question, why did they decide to change the school, is there a reason for it?

I am a Westmoore graduate and yet I live a few blocks away, funny, my twin brother goes to Moore while I go to Westmoore but that is mainly because they have deaf program there since I am deaf and my brother is not

They did not change the school.... Moore is adding a third high school which will be named Southmoore. Moore and Westmoore are overcrowded. The new school is located just north of 164th and Santa Fe. It is scheduled to open this fall.

Once Southmoore is open all three high schools will handle 9th, 10th and 11th grade. I anticipate a new jr high will be built in the near future, that way each school will have two jr. highs feeding into it.

Thread Information