Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Packard's

Default Re: Packard's New American Kitchen

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    No... Their bar will be on the 1st and 2nd levels.

There will be meeting rooms on the top and a terrace on the far west end, but nothing on the roof.
    My understanding is that there will be a rooftop bar and lounge. Per Facebook from the future General Manager of the hotel who I am friends with.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    This is a photo of the pastrami sandwich from their FB page:

That is a paltry amount of pastrami. They are fortunate that most OKCitians haven't a clue about Pastrami sandwiches. Most east coast natives would have a good laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    That is a paltry amount of pastrami. They are fortunate that most OKCitians haven't a clue about Pastrami sandwiches. Most east coast natives would have a good laugh.
    . . . and ironic that it is being served in what has often been called one of the most obese states in the union. Perhaps it is "Mayor Mick Portioning"?

I was thinking the same thing and was thinking of the Reuben at the Carnegie Deli in NYC, which should feed four people easily. I don't mind a smaller portion of anything, as its probably easier for them to limit the portion size than for me to self-limit.

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    I was thinking the same thing and was thinking of the Reuben at the Carnegie Deli in NYC, which should feed four people easily. I don't mind a smaller portion of anything, as its probably easier for them to limit the portion size than for me to self-limit.
    I'll admit it's not an authentic NY Pastrami. The best I've had was at Katz Deli in New York -- and I've had many there, and like Betts said, they are huge.

i also agree that the sauce on Packard's pastrami is a bit sweet for my taste. The meat itself, however, was delicious.

For the purists, it doesn't seem they are trying to recreate an "authentic" New York pastrami; if they were the dish would fail. As it is now, just ask them to go light on the sauce and don't expect an authentic NY Pastrami and it's quite delicious (and tastes nothing like pulled pork).

Blog Entries

I don't expect a NY deli style...I get that in NYC...I just don't want NYC prices either for a 1/4 of the food.

RM,
    You forgot the sardines which used to be one of the ingredients and I think still is. I don't use ketchup on anything.
    C. T.
    Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    If you took some Heinz or Hunts and a can of petite diced tomatoes . . . maybe some "secret herb" and/or exotic vinegar . . . and threw all of it into a blender or food processor for about five seconds, would it then technically be "homemade"?

Let's face it: There is no excuse for a restaurant running out of catsup. Or ketchup.
    (although the only thing I ever put the stuff on is french fries and maybe a little on a hamburger)

btw: I think we would all agree that "pastrami" should be about 180 degrees away from "pulled pork" . . .

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    RM,
    You forgot the sardines which used to be one of the ingredients and I think still is. I don't use ketchup on anything.
    C. T.
    I know that they use anchovies in Worchestershire Sauce (for the umami) . . .
    But sardines in ketchup? Even the homemade, exotic stuff . . . ?
    I don't ever put ketchup on fish so I would hope they don't put fish in ketchup.
    It just don't seem kosher.

Blog Entries

I don't ever put ketchup on fish so I would hope they don't put fish in ketchup.
    Cocktail sauce is close to ketchup.

And, I have been known to dip my fish and chips in ketchup and Tabasco mixed. You should see the looks I get in Great Britain. But then again, I just love to push their "proper" buttons.

Cocktail sauce is close to ketchup.

And, I have been known to dip my fish and chips in ketchup and Tabasco mixed. You should see the looks I get in Great Britain. But then again, I just love to push their "proper" buttons.
    Kick it up a notch: Mix some Sirracha with some Miracle Whip and watch their heads explode. Especially if you dip your "chips" in it!
    ("Blimey, Clive! Did yer see wot that Yank just d--" (muffled boom)

You are correct about Cocktail Sauce. It is a lot like Ketchup Plus Horseradish.

You would think that in a fancy place like The Packard, they would at least have some canned tomatoes, corn starch and a blender of some sort on hand in order to eliminate the possibility of Ketchuplessness. Well, I would think so, anyways. Sorry for being presumptuous. =)

A Packard

A Packard without pastrami and ketchup

("You go" . . . "No Yugo." . . . "No . . .")

At La Cocina del Nuevo Americano Cusine we like to mix Miracle Whip with Horseradish and a little Sour Cream.
    We refer to it as Le Saucé ala Arby's Plus (pronounced "Ploo"). It's good on lots of things and better than Le Saucé Tartar.
    We also refer to it as Tater Sauce when used with potatoes. Or O'Tater Sauce in Middlemarch. =)

RM,
    Au contraire my friend, check this out from Wikepedia. "In the 1690s the Chinese mixed a concoction of pickled fish and spices and called it (in the Amoy dialect) kôe-chiap or kê-chiap (鮭汁, Mandarin guī zhī, Cantonese gwai1 zap1) meaning the brine of pickled fish (鮭, salmon; 汁, juice) or shellfish.[2]. Now, that's not why I don't use it, but it's a good enough reason for me! I guess sardines and pickled fish might be two different things so you are partially correct.
    C. T.
    I know that they use anchovies in Worchestershire Sauce (for the umami) . . .
    But sardines in ketchup? Even the homemade, exotic stuff . . . ?

I tried the pastrami today. Service was excellent, I was in and out quick and the quinoa side was excellent.

Rover,
    I just noticed this comment and I agree, I don't think I could finish an East coast pastrami sandwich anymore but they were really good when I was younger. Even now, my pastrami and Swiss make that sandwich look puny.
    C. T.

I got one at Friedman's Lunch in Chelsea Market and it was like eating pastrami for the first time.

Bluedogok,
    Are they Kosher? I didn't see any sandwich mixing meat with dairy (cheese).
    C. T.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    I got one at Friedman's Lunch in Chelsea Market and it was like eating pastrami for the first time.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    My wife and I have had a part time apartment on 21st between 9th & 10th for the past few years and love Chelsea Market. Love to have that kind of development in Bricktown. Love to have NY style pastrami in OKC anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    Bluedogok,
    Are they Kosher? I didn't see any sandwich mixing meat with dairy (cheese).
    C. T.
    I have no idea.

My wife and I have had a part time apartment on 21st between 9th & 10th for the past few years and love Chelsea Market. Love to have that kind of development in Bricktown. Love to have NY style pastrami in OKC anywhere.
    A friend of mine owns a building near the Film Row area, I have tried to get him to look at that concept for his building.

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    How does all of this even enter into the discussion?

The sandwich includes pickled granny smith apples, a Russian sauce, and if I recall, jicama and is served on pumpernickel. Something tells me they weren't going for an authentic New York deli taste in the first place.

Blog Entries

No, it had to do with portions, taste and price.

Had a late lunch here yesterday and came away fairly impressed. $10 for a hamberger i thought was just a tad high, but it was tasty. What i really liked was the salsa appetizer that i had. i will be back for that

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    Had a late lunch here yesterday and came away fairly impressed. $10 for a hamberger i thought was just a tad high, but it was tasty. What i really liked was the salsa appetizer that i had. i will be back for that
    Did that come with the side and a drink too?

Just saying, you'd be paying more at a Jonnies or a Charcoal Oven. They average about $14.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    Did that come with the side and a drink too?

Just saying, you'd be paying more at a Jonnies or a Charcoal Oven. They average about $14.
    it did come with a side... but no drink

Well, Jonnie's has gotten pretty bland as of late so I will have to try AK sometime. Sounds like they put love in their food.

FYI Packard will be serving brunch every Saturday and Sunday starting this weekend. Saw the menu, looks like it has some major potential.

They will however now be closed on Mondays.

Thread Information