Widgets Magazine
Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 24252627282930 LastLast

Thread: OKC Zoo

Default Re: OKC Zoo

Quote Originally Posted by bison34 View Post
    So that tiny park for free admission for all OKC citizens?
    Local residents, who live exclusively in that neighborhood, need a place to go if their park is taken away. This should be provided at no cost to them, or they will never allow it, even if they rarely use the park.

Quote Originally Posted by Oski View Post
    Local residents, who live exclusively in that neighborhood, need a place to go if their park is taken away. This should be provided at no cost to them, or they will never allow it, even if they rarely use the park.
    But I'm saying that your idea isn't feasible, and makes no economic sense. The maintenance cost for a 5 acre park is nowhere near worth free admission for every citizen of OKC.

That's like trading SGA for a box of dead ferrets.

3. Default Re: OKC Zoo

But I'm saying that your idea isn't feasible, and makes no economic sense. The maintenance cost for a 5 acre park is nowhere near worth free admission for every citizen of OKC.

"Local residents" does not mean everyone in the state or city, it means in that neighborhood (as stated in the post). Such as "Nichols Hills" isn't the entire metro of OKC or "Fenwick" isn't the entirety of OKC/Edmond. But yeah, I don't think that's a good idea either.

Quote Originally Posted by bamarsha View Post
    "Local residents" does not mean everyone in the state or city, it means in that neighborhood (as stated in the post). Such as "Nichols Hills" isn't the entire metro of OKC or "Fenwick" isn't the entirety of OKC/Edmond. But yeah, I don't think that's a good idea either.
    What defines local? You gave a couple neighborhoods, but what if someone a few hundred feet outside of those neighborhoods used that park?

It would open an unnecessary can of worms. Hence why this isn't feasible.

It does sound nice, but I think, like you, it isn't a good, feasible idea.

Let's get back on track and talk about the master plan. It's awesome to see this kind of vision and desire for continual improvement. The zoo is one of the gems of this city and I hope a good chunk of this gets funded and comes to fruition.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliSciGuy View Post
    Let's get back on track and talk about the master plan. It's awesome to see this kind of vision and desire for continual improvement. The zoo is one of the gems of this city and I hope a good chunk of this gets funded and comes to fruition.
    They are lucky because they have the guaranteed sales tax revenue from OKC, which continues to grow every year.

Makes it pretty easy to budget for big projects. It's also the reason we've seen non-stop construction for the last two decades.

Does the box of ferrets come with a couple of first round draft picks? jk

When we went to NYC to visit my brother back in 2008, he brought up going to the Bronx Zoo while we were in town. At that point, it had been decades since I had gone to the OKC zoo. My wife said, why would we go there when we great zoo in OKC? And even back then it was a great zoo. Now, it will propel it and make it even better.

The biggest issues I have with the zoo are:

1. There needs to be more shade areas in the pathways. I am going to take my daughter to the zoo next week when I am off work but we are going to get there as soon as it opens and leave right after lunch. The zoo makes it pretty miserable, at least for us, when it gets up to 95-100 degrees.

2. I understand why they do it, but it always annoys me that if it's a nice day and I want to take my daughter to the science museum, there is no parking in that parking lot because people park over there to go to the zoo instead of at Remington park and walking across the street. I am not sure what the solution is (there probably isn't one) but it would be great if those parking lots were seperate.

Quote Originally Posted by Oski View Post
    I meant this "park", dude. Please look at the map if you aren't familiar with the area. Thank you!
    Attachment 18903
    Super familiar with the area, thanks. Don't know of anyone who refers to that little section as "Lincoln Park" whereas most everyone in the city refers to Lincoln Park Golf Course as "Lincoln Park."

Sorry for the confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    When we went to NYC to visit my brother back in 2008, he brought up going to the Bronx Zoo while we were in town. At that point, it had been decades since I had gone to the OKC zoo. My wife said, why would we go there when we great zoo in OKC? And even back then it was a great zoo. Now, it will propel it and make it even better.

The biggest issues I have with the zoo are:

1. There needs to be more shade areas in the pathways. I am going to take my daughter to the zoo next week when I am off work but we are going to get there as soon as it opens and leave right after lunch. The zoo makes it pretty miserable, at least for us, when it gets up to 95-100 degrees.

2. I understand why they do it, but it always annoys me that if it's a nice day and I want to take my daughter to the science museum, there is no parking in that parking lot because people park over there to go to the zoo instead of at Remington park and walking across the street. I am not sure what the solution is (there probably isn't one) but it would be great if those parking lots were seperate.
    I think my kids and I are going next week too. See ya there.

As far as 2. I would think a pedestrian bridge would be doable. From Remington to the zoo lot. But it would somehow inexplicably cost like $1.2 million.

I believe they are working to get a new vendor, but on my last visit every single drink machine was out of order -- like 40 of them.

Also, there were zero food places open other than the one by the entrance. That's a very long walk from most of the zoo grounds. Again, this was early in the season but there were tons of people there and I ended up leaving to get something to eat and drink when I would have liked to have stayed longer. By the time I walked all the way back to the entrance, I decided just to call it a day.

keep in mind that this master plan doesn't include the in progress new aquatic exhibit that will bring penguins to the zoo .. (as well as bringing back the sea lions)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I believe they are working to get a new vendor, but on my last visit every single drink machine was out of order -- like 40 of them.

Also, there were zero food places open other than the one by the entrance. That's a very long walk from most of the zoo grounds. Again, this was early in the season but there were tons of people there and I ended up leaving to get something to eat and drink when I would have liked to have stayed longer. By the time I walked all the way back to the entrance, I decided just to call it a day.
    We experienced the same on our Memorial day visit with the vending machines all over, but the burger place in the back by the elephant exhibit was open at least.

14. Default Re: OKC Zoo

Ooof! I hate seeing reports of such incompetence on something that should be getting the zoo a lot of revenue. Has anyone contacted the zoo management?

Nm

I was there Saturday at opening time. The soft drink machines I saw were working, and by 10:00 most/all of the food & refreshment stands were open. It was the zoo’s 100th anniversary in this location, so I suspect there was a lot of focus on having the facility looking its best.

17. Default Re: OKC Zoo

In general we eat at the Elephant area food court or the new Africa stand when we go. Both times this year they have been open and the food was honestly pretty great. I expected Six Flags quality but it was a very tasty meal.

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    In general we eat at the Elephant area food court or the new Africa stand when we go. Both times this year they have been open and the food was honestly pretty great. I expected Six Flags quality but it was a very tasty meal.
    the new food vender (started this year) has been a great change I think they have produced food at a much higher quality ..

Quote Originally Posted by PoliSciGuy View Post
    I agree. This plan addresses what I think are the two biggest issues at an otherwise great zoo.
    1. The zoo has a fabulous collection of reptiles and amphibians, but the herpetarium is cramped and severely outdated. I think it’s pretty clever to move the playground, build a new herpetarium, AND make use of the current herpetarium as a climate-controlled lounge for patrons to take refuge from the heat.
    2. Visitors often complain about all of the backtracking you have to do once you get to the rhinos in Asia. Connecting the Oklahoma Trails to Asia by creating a path around the far side of the bison habitat is a great idea. I love the thought of a lot of new species, but this solution to guest traffic may be the best part of the whole thing.

20. Default Re: OKC Zoo

Quote Originally Posted by sooner2000 View Post
    I agree. This plan addresses what I think are the two biggest issues at an otherwise great zoo.
    1. The zoo has a fabulous collection of reptiles and amphibians, but the herpetarium is cramped and severely outdated. I think it’s pretty clever to move the playground, build a new herpetarium, AND make use of the current herpetarium as a climate-controlled lounge for patrons to take refuge from the heat.
    2. Visitors often complain about all of the backtracking you have to do once you get to the rhinos in Asia. Connecting the Oklahoma Trails to Asia by creating a path around the far side of the bison habitat is a great idea. I love the thought of a lot of new species, but this solution to guest traffic may be the best part of the whole thing.
    I think they should do like the KC and San Diego zoo have, a gondola style system to get to the farthest parts of the park and back. Plus a killer view.

The master plan looks incredible. Really seems to bring the entire zoo up to the standards of the newer exhibits. I'm pretty excited about the Biodiversity Building. I've always wished our zoo had some sort of indoor biosphere exhibit similar to Tulsa's rainforest or Omaha's desert. Though the latter is more than twice the expected size of this one -- 18,700 vs. 40,000 sq ft.

Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    The master plan looks incredible. Really seems to bring the entire zoo up to the standards of the newer exhibits. I'm pretty excited about the Biodiversity Building. I've always wished our zoo had some sort of indoor biosphere exhibit similar to Tulsa's rainforest or Omaha's desert. Though the latter is more than twice the expected size of this one -- 18,700 vs. 40,000 sq ft.
    If the biodiversity building comes to fruition, I think a big difference will come from variety. As you say, Tulsa has the rainforest building, and Omaha is known for the Desert Dome. I think OKC’s will be 1/2 rainforest, 1/2 desert. That along with adding a second building entirely devoted to birds makes that exhibit an exciting complement to the zoo’s other offerings.

A board member gave me a tour of the Cincinatti Zoo three years ago, pointing out sustainability efforts of which they were very proud, and which could be done here: 1) Solar panels cover a portion of the parking spaces and building rooftops; 2) They collect and reuse every drop of rain that falls on the property, storing it in underground cisterns, and eliminating runoff into surrounding neighborhoods; 3) Newer buildings have been constructed to LEED Platinum standards; 4) Animal waste is being converted to a soil additive for a local farm; and 5) More conventional waste is being composted or recycled. And this mindset carries over into habitat design and how they care for their animals.

I wish every parking lot and possible rooftop had solar panels covering it.

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    I think they should do like the KC and San Diego zoo have, a gondola style system to get to the farthest parts of the park and back. Plus a killer view.
    They had a gondola ride for years.

Thread Information