Widgets Magazine
Page 29 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2425262728293031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

1. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

I'm working on putting our Thanksgiving dinner together this year, and I am considering smoking a turkey and finishing it in our fryer. Has anyone done this and/or have any recommendations?

Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

hmmm... why would you do both? to crisp up the skin? seems like you'd run a high risk of overcooking the bird. -M

3. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    hmmm... why would you do both? to crisp up the skin? seems like you'd run a high risk of overcooking the bird. -M
    Yep! My idea was to smoke for a few hours to an internal temp of ~125 or so, and then move it over to the fryer to bring it up to ~170.

4. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

Quote Originally Posted by sooner88 View Post
    I'm working on putting our Thanksgiving dinner together this year, and I am considering smoking a turkey and finishing it in our fryer. Has anyone done this and/or have any recommendations?
    Yes I have and it's delicious if you don't mind having a little extra cleanup from using a smoker and a fryer.... I smoke the turkey for an hour and then finish in the fryer.

Crispy skin is the answer.... No risk of overcooking if you monitor the temp and because the bird is partially cooked and warm you don't get a lot of splatter and popping when you put it in the oil. The oil temperature also doesn't drop since the turkey should be pretty close to 130-140 when you put it in the fryer.... Other than having the additional cleanup this is my favorite method for cooking a turkey.

5. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    Yes I have and it's delicious if you don't mind having a little extra cleanup from using a smoker and a fryer.... I smoke the turkey for an hour and then finish in the fryer.

Crispy skin is the answer.... No risk of overcooking if you monitor the temp and because the bird is partially cooked and warm you don't get a lot of splatter and popping when you put it in the oil. The oil temperature also doesn't drop since the turkey should be pretty close to 130-140 when you put it in the fryer.... Other than having the additional cleanup this is my favorite method for cooking a turkey.
    Thanks for the quick response! Did you brine and inject too?

6. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

Thanks for the quick response! Did you brine and inject too?
    No. While I usually brine smoked turkey. I've never had a problem keeping deep fried turkey moist. So never bothered with either.

Don't see any issue using either technique though. Injecting would definitely work if your wanting to add a flavor profile since a rub would just come off in the fryer.

7. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

Ok... I'm just going to go ahead and declare The Flying Pig BBQ truck the best BBQ in OKC..... They absolutely knocked it out of the park with these ribs today!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FOID9421.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	942.3 KB 
ID:	13274

Oowee those look good!

9. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Oowee those look good!
    Perfect flavor and perfect tenderness.... I really wish they would open a brick and mortar.

those look pretty tasty!

made some "bacon" ribs (at least that's what i'm calling them) this past weekend. dry cured a slab of spare ribs as if they were a pork belly... salt, pepper, cure #1, maple syrup, and my typical rib rub. i let that slab cure for about a week and then smoked it over some apple wood. it came out like ham on a stick... really delicious.

next thing i want to try on the smoker is a slab of pork belly ribs... but i'm not sure where i can find any around town. finding boneless pork belly was difficult enough! -M

11. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

made some "bacon" ribs (at least that's what i'm calling them) this past weekend. dry cured a slab of spare ribs as if they were a pork belly... salt, pepper, cure #1, maple syrup, and my typical rib rub. i let that slab cure for about a week and then smoked it over some apple wood. it came out like ham on a stick... really delicious.

next thing i want to try on the smoker is a slab of pork belly ribs... but i'm not sure where i can find any around town. finding boneless pork belly was difficult enough! -M
    Used to be a place over on South Shields called Coot's BBQ that served ribs similar to that. I don't know that they cured them that long but I always felt more like I was eating ham with a handy handle than ribs.

Good luck on finding a belly with the ribs still attached.... It might be easier to just have a whole hog butchered and ask the butcher to cut the belly the way you want it.

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    Ok... I'm just going to go ahead and declare The Flying Pig BBQ truck the best BBQ in OKC..... They absolutely knocked it out of the park with these ribs today!

Name:	FOID9421.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	942.3 KB 
ID:	13274
    but are they consistent?

13. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Vu View Post
    but are they consistent?
    They have been every time I've caught them.... On my first visit to them, shortly after they opened the truck, I declared the ribs I had that day to be in the Top 5 best I had ever eaten... The ones I ate today were just as good.

14. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

Well it's technically not BBQ and I'm at our log cabin near the Arbuckles, so it's not the metro, but this turkey I spatchcocked, dry brined, and roasted over my firepit, may be one of the best I've ever cooked.

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	55 
Size:	3.51 MB 
ID:	13291

Views:	91 
Size:	4.09 MB 
ID:	13292

Views:	74 
Size:	2.97 MB 
ID:	13293

that looks great! been meaning to do some spatchcocked chickens over the grill for a while now but haven't gotten around to it.

we just did a bone-in turkey breast instead of a whole bird... i cooked it a few hours sous vide at 130° then finished it off in the smoker for about an hour and a half over some apple wood. it may be cheating a little but it turned out really good.

16. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

Lol.... Sous vide is definitely not cheating!

Do you have the Anova sous vide cooker?

yep... that's the one i have. bought it a year or so ago to play around with, mainly to try out with steaks.

18. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

yep... that's the one i have. bought it a year or so ago to play around with, mainly to try out with steaks.
    I bought mine over the summer and love it. Have only used it twice on steaks but it absolutely rules for cooking boneless, skinless, chicken breast... Most juicy, moist, and flavorful chicken I've eaten.

true that! i also like using it for buffalo chicken wings... cook slow kind of like duck confit to render the collagen and then fry them up to get good crisp skin. also used this technique to make buffalo turkey wings a couple weeks ago and it turned out fantastic. bought the unit on sale just to play around with but have really come to enjoy it.

20. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

Have not tried it with wings yet but I get really good results in my air fryer by dry brining wings with salt and baking powder.

The baking powder has some reaction with the skin and has some corn starch in it. So I get crispy skin with a light crust.

I do want to try using it to make fried chicken.

wings are one of my favorite foods, so I've tried several methods to get the "perfect" wing. i've tried the baking powder technique, too and like it. if you're going to cook just once, then that's the way to go. while i like the crispiness of the skin with that method, the texture of the chicken can be hit or miss as the outside and the inside might not hit the perfect doneness at the same time. haven't tried baking powder for regular fried chicken, though.

what do you do for buffalo sauce? i do about a stick of butter, a cup of franks, honey and vinegar to taste then let the whole thing reduce a bit on the stove. the flavor is spot on but the sauce isn't really thick enough for my liking... just doesn't stick to the wings enough. i've been thinking about adding just a bit of cornstarch to see if that'll help.

22. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

For the Anova, do you all have a foodsaver as well? I've been really interested in getting one, but the foodsaver doubles the investment.

For your buffalo sauce, i'm really surprised the honey hasn't made it thick enough. I don't like sweet, and prefer very spicy so we do butter, frank's, cayenne, garlic and S&P. When the fryer is not available, we bake the wings a 350 and finish on the grill.... both with a buffalo sauce marinade and a toss after they finish. We've also started to grill slices of premade biscuits as "pizza" coated in EVOO, basil and mozz.. dipped in warm marinara makes for a great app.

23. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

I use a foodsaver but it's not 100% necessary. You can use a water bath to vacuum seal for sous vide. I use the water method when I sous vide poached fruits that require a liquid ingredient.

I prefer dry wings myself so I usually just season with ghost peppe salt and a few other seasonings. When I do add a sauce I usually just add some Captain Rodney's.

For the Anova, do you all have a foodsaver as well? I've been really interested in getting one, but the foodsaver doubles the investment.
    that was one of my concerns when i was purchasing a unit... so far, I've gotten by using just various sized ziploc bags. i put a partial seal on the bag and use the displacement method to get most of the air out of it before fully sealing. haven't had a broken seal yet.

For your buffalo sauce, i'm really surprised the honey hasn't made it thick enough.
    i don't put a lot of honey in it... maybe a tablespoon, tops.

Ok, this is not about the best bbq in OKC, but in the DOK today, they had a picture of the sign of the Hickory House from the 40's to 50's. The sign is still there but not the name. I only mention this because it's where I cut my teeth on bbq. I think I was about five when I went there the first time. Was it great or the best in OKC? I don't know, but dang it was good.
    C. T.

Thread Information