Widgets Magazine
Page 29 of 34 FirstFirst ... 24252627282930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: IKEA

1. Default Re: IKEA

no doubt, but I was just think of the catchment argument where we'd more easily pick up S KS if it you didn't have to go through the city first. ...
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Default Re: IKEA

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    no doubt, but I was just think of the catchment argument where we'd more easily pick up S KS if it you didn't have to go through the city first. ...
    Definitely North OKC somewhere. That would be closer for those from Wichita and Tulsa.

I made several trips to IKEA in Frisco and Grand Prairie in the past 3-4 months. I always see cars upon cars with Oklahoma plates. It's about damn time, IKEA. Nashville not having one is a head scratcher. They were slated to get one; had a location picked and everything, but IKEA cited a change in business model and such.

They have a lot to work to do, though. Their e-commerce strategy is piss poor for a worldwide company like they are.

Ikea’s e-commerce was already pretty bad. During COVID-19, it absolutely fell apart

I’ll tell you what I went to at home by Quail Springs Mall and it was better than IKEA in my opinion

I just don’t see this ever happening. And that’s not necessarily a bad thing.

The furniture is fine for college kids, but I certainly wouldn’t be caught dead in an IKEA.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WheelerD Guy View Post

The furniture is fine for college kids, but I certainly wouldn’t be caught dead in an IKEA.
    Yeah, a lot of people feel they are too good to be seen in ikea, but lots of people appreciate the value

They have $2000 leather sofas (among many other most-likely long lasting products), they're not just cheap particle board things for dorm rooms. And we've had two CD/DVD/Blu-ray storage cabinets that have lasted through 3 moves from Chicago to Seatlle to OKC in 15 years, just a few dings in the black areas that have been covered up by a Sharpie and nobody notices.

I was in one in Houston several years back. Unless something has changed I don't see a reason to ever go back.

I don’t get the IKEA hate. A lot of it is pretty cheap college furniture, but they also have a lot of decent furniture at good prices. I have several pieces going on 5 years now with not a problem, a few other random pieces I have had for 7 years and have survived multiple cross country moves.

I love IKEA just to go in and browse, I love the decorating and they have great ideas for spaces.

IKEA is great to buy furniture to simply throw away when you move apartments. I know it’s bad for the environment, throw away culture, but I see so much of that in LA it’s crazy. I also see people drive around at night picking up furniture items, I'm assuming to up cycle.

To any IKEA fans and I'm certainly one for some of cool lights they have, At Home by Quail Springs is much better than IKEA IMO and if you haven’t been it is definitely worth checking out. It’s huge.

10. Default Re: IKEA

That, and not everybody can just afford to drop a few thousand on good quality furniture at Mathis Brothers or whatever. I'd love to get something made of real wood and not particle board that will last for decades, but I've never been in a financial place where I can do that. Spending a few hundred every few years to replace furniture as it wears out is a lot more doable when you don't make a lot of money, even if it costs more in the long run. IKEA stuff at least looks nicer than what you can get for the same amount of money at Walmart (and Walmart doesn't have much of a furniture selection anymore).

Quote Originally Posted by midtownokcer View Post
    Definitely North OKC somewhere. That would be closer for those from Wichita and Tulsa.
    And Stillwater and Enid.

Everyone keeps saying IKEA is cheap throwaway furniture - and sure they have that, made to a higher level of quality than your Walmart special flat-pack furniture to boot - but that's not all IKEA is about... some of their furniture lines are designed to really last, and carry long warranties too. Plus they carry WAY more than just furniture - they've got all sorts of stuff like kitchen cabinets, major appliances, cookware, faucets & sinks, bedding and other linens, storage bags and boxes, even light fixtures, smart home products, and food, too. I really think they would be well-received and successful if they opened a store here.

Quote Originally Posted by baralheia View Post
    Everyone keeps saying IKEA is cheap throwaway furniture - and sure they have that, made to a higher level of quality than your Walmart special flat-pack furniture to boot - but that's not all IKEA is about... some of their furniture lines are designed to really last, and carry long warranties too. Plus they carry WAY more than just furniture - they've got all sorts of stuff like kitchen cabinets, major appliances, cookware, faucets & sinks, bedding and other linens, storage bags and boxes, even light fixtures, smart home products, and food, too. I really think they would be well-received and successful if they opened a store here.
    I've had 3+ moves and some of my IKEA furniture has held up nicely over the past 8-9 years. Recently had to replace all my furniture because of a fire at my complex, so they would've lasted longer had that not happened.

Someone mentioned At Home having better quality products. I challenge that as someone who recently bought furniture from both places. I ended up returning what I bought from At Home because of how poor the quality was. I think people are just too familiar with their cheap product line such as the Lack and base their opinion of IKEA off that. I recently got a few pieces from a newer line called Lommarp. Probably as solid as anything I've bought from Ashley or other big-time furniture makers. Friends and family were surprised to learn it was IKEA after seeing it in my living room.

I really like what you mentioned beyond the furniture at IKEA. I have been able to find really neat light fixtures to light up cabinets that would cost way more elsewhere. I also bought a nice IKEA/Sonos speaker lamp that sounds awesome. Heck, I found a salad spinner that was just $4.99 at IKEA. Returned the one I bought from Costco for $24.99 that was essentially the same product and quality.

Blog Entries

I think many of those who come on to disparage IKEA don't really know much about them or their products. They have no clue why they've been so successful.

Rover, which posters are you referring to? The overwhelmingly majority of posts in this thread has been about wanting an IKEA and some guy claiming they were to tulsa first. So who is disparaging IKEA?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Rover, which posters are you referring to? The overwhelmingly majority of posts in this thread has been about wanting an IKEA and some guy claiming they were to tulsa first. So who is disparaging IKEA?
    Those talking about the cheap stuff and they wouldn't be seen in IKEA.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    The great thing about IKEA is they have quality products that aren’t cheaply made and will last if you don’t abuse it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Sorry guys, it's just not my style. Go ahead and knock yourself out with it.

One thing I have noticed about this thread (and the internet in general) is if you don't like something / aren't interested in something, then why do you have to post to tell us that? I'm not interested in model trains, but I don't spend my time posting that I am not interested in them. It's very frustrating to see new posts in a thread I am interested in only to find out someone took the time to tell us they aren't interested. Or the thread gets hijacked......

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerinfiniti View Post
    One thing I have noticed about this thread (and the internet in general) is if you don't like something / aren't interested in something, then why do you have to post to tell us that? I'm not interested in model trains, but I don't spend my time posting that I am not interested in them. It's very frustrating to see new posts in a thread I am interested in only to find out someone took the time to tell us they aren't interested. Or the thread gets hijacked......
    While, in general, I agree with you. You do realize the irony of your post, right?

That's not necessarily the best comparison. Anyone who is even remotely interested in OKC CRE has an opinion about whether IKEA (and In-N-Out Burger, HEB, Roll Em Up Taquitos, etc.) will eventually site a location in the metro. Those opinions are relevant to the thread even if you may not share them.

WheelerD, with respect, that's not what SoonerInfiniti was claiming.

"It's not my style." "I think it's throwaway furniture." Etc. is a different type of post than an analysis of whether OKC has the demographics or population to support a store. I would be very interested to hear someone in CRE offer an opinion that OKC will or won't get one of these retailers because of what they know about the company's financial health, expansion plans, or demographics. That's a different kettle of fish than "I personally don't like IKEA."

I wonder if the reason that Oklahoma City metro doesn't have an IKEA is that it is too spread out? Milwaukee's is located just south of their metro area. I would bet there are smaller cities that have them.

With Costco's success in OKC, I am surprised they haven't at least opened up a smaller store.

I wonder if the reason that Oklahoma City metro doesn't have an IKEA is that it is too spread out? Milwaukee's is located just south of their metro area. I would bet there are smaller cities that have them.

With Costco's success in OKC, I am surprised they haven't at least opened up a smaller store.
    Bingo.

lol wut

Thread Information