Widgets Magazine
Page 28 of 69 FirstFirst ... 2324252627282930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: Penn Square Mall

HangryHippo Guest

Default Re: Penn Square Mall

Quote Originally Posted by PWitty View Post
    I'm sure they do it because they have a big truck and it's fun to hop the curb and park there. If the mall security would ticket the trucks then they would quit doing it. If anything I feel like you guys should be focusing your disdain on them, not the truck drivers.

When I was in KC over the holidays I drove my dads truck to the Oak Park mall right after a big snow storm. There was a spot in the very front that was open, but it was against the curb and half the spot was covered in snow that had been pushed up against it. I threw the truck in 4x4 and pulled up on the snow and parked there. I come back out and wouldn't you know, they gave me a $25 dollar ticket. I was furious, but apparently the PS mall security needs to be more like the OP mall security.
    I'm disappointed that the mall doesn't address it by issuing citations. I'm annoyed by classless truck drivers that think it's acceptable to park on the lawn. Too much car, too little brain.

I've always wondered about citations issued by private security at places like shopping malls. Are they really enforceable? Do they have any legal clout?

Whatever the answers to my question, I think this parking they allow to go on at Penn Square on the grass is really trashy. They do it when there's room in the garage too. I understand not wanting to rankle a customer, but this really should stop.

Maybe it's because I always park by Penny's, but I've never once noticed anyone parking on grass.

Blog Entries

Was there Saturday. There were a dozen cars (actually, mostly pickups) parked on the grass just outside (east) of the garage....BY PENNY's. BTW, there were plenty of spots in the garage, but on the second or third levels. Also plenty north of Macy's. Just lazy parkers.

5. Default Re: Penn Square Mall

I wouldn't park on the grass, but if I got a ticket from Penn Square Mall security for ANYTHING it would go directly into the trash can. They have no ability to ticket someone and receive revenue for it. NONE. That would be a total bluff. What they DO have the right to do is to put up signs that say "absolutely no parking on grass - violators will be towed" and then to call a wrecker service as soon as it happens. It's also possible, I suppose, that they could ask OCPD to issue citations based on the same yard ordinance I mentioned previously, as long as it applied. But I would bet the house that OCPD would tell them to put up signs and to tow violators and to deal them out of the situation.

By the way, the other (and more customer-friendly) side of the coin on that is to have good wayfinding that directs people to areas of their lot (including the garage) that typically have open parking even during peak times. Also a parking shuttle wouldn't be a terrible idea. If I were planning it I would run the shuttle ONLY to outlying lots and make it clear through signage, PR and marketing that the best way to park at the mall was in one of the more remote lots where you could be picked up and dropped off at your car and at the mall door of your choosing.

I'm glad I'm not the only one this bothers. Yes, it makes the mall look very redneck. No, this is not a problem at other regional malls outside a few busy weekends during the holidays. And it is never a regular size truck or SUV parked on the grass, its always some lifted monstrosity. I hate to be blunt, but there are too many "country folk" around here who become completely obnoxious at the sight of even a slight crowd. And they think their massive truck allows them to just drive/park anywhere.

At the same time if they really thought it was a problem, the mall could stop it tomorrow with a few aptly placed and strongly worded signs. People would get the idea very quickly. But they obviously don't care. So if we get spring rains prepare for Penn Square to look like a rutted out mess like you'd see at the state fair. Maybe once their grounds have been completely destroyed, maybe Penn Square management would get the point.

7. Default Re: Penn Square Mall

This is the area just to the right of the main (NW Expressway) entrance. This area was almost completely full of large trucks before Christmas. Even now, the grass is torn up and the ground is rutted. Looks terrible.

I've said this before. I'll say it again. This is the easiest problem in the world to fix. I look at that bland grassy knoll in that photo and I think "where is the landscaping?" Every decent mall and even most strip malls in the better parts of St. Louis have decorative plantings, shrubbery, trees, planters, short brick walls, etc. By the way, this also extends to the medians and sides of highways and boulevards, particularly at intersections. It's baffling to me that a mall as nice as Penn Square doesn't smarten up its exterior. But you don't see much of this in OKC at large, so maybe it's a case of "no expectations."

9. Default Re: Penn Square Mall

That's an excellent point. If those areas had berms and landscaping it wouldn't even be an issue. Swap out "landscaping" for XERISCAPING and the mall's long-term maintenance costs would diminish, perhaps even to the point of eventually paying for the upgrade. Mowing and water ain't free, after all.

That really is a good point.

if trucks parking on grass is the worse thing thats happening to us, then i'd say were doing pretty well.

12. Default Re: Penn Square Mall

Better than crappy makes us happy!

Urbanized's 6 words sum up my feelings exactly.

"If losing a football game is the worst thing that happens to us, I'd say we're doing well."

"If not getting (store x) is the worst thing that happens to us, we're doing well."

"If a no-name state legislator utters an offensive remark, and that's the worst thing that happens to us..."

"If we only lose 100 jobs from (company x) and that's the worst thing that happens to us..."

This really is fairly trivial, I agree, Gargantula, but it's a million and one little trivial things that, taken together, form an impression. And subtleties of impression one way or another is how quality of life is formed.

Quote Originally Posted by stlokc View Post

"If losing a football game is the worst thing that happens to us, I'd say we're doing well."

"If not getting (store x) is the worst thing that happens to us, we're doing well."

"If a no-name state legislator utters an offensive remark, and that's the worst thing that happens to us..."

"If we only lose 100 jobs from (company x) and that's the worst thing that happens to us..."

This really is fairly trivial, I agree, Gargantula, but it's a million and one little trivial things that, taken together, form an impression. And subtleties of impression one way or another is how quality of life is formed.
    Completely agree. It's for this reason quality of life in OKC is just a bit lower than it is in most major cities in the US. It's getting better, I want to acknowledge that, but compare places like St. Louis, Kansas City, Charlotte, Louisville, Albuquerque, Omaha, etc, etc, etc to OKC and you will find OKC comes in a bit lower than one would expect in terms of quality of life. While some of the cities are much larger than OKC and of course have more amenities and resources, others are similar sized or smaller. It isn't like those cities have anything huge that OKC doesn't have, but its the million + 1 little things they take pride in that OKC does not that make the difference. I think it's bottom line a cultural thing.

And please don't hear me comparing parking on grass to the loss of jobs. Obviously no comparison. But striving for good outcomes in everything we do, little things and big things, should be our goal.

I think of going to dinner in a clean sweater rather than a dirty sweatshirt. Is that going to make a difference in one' life? Probably not. But someone who goes through life in a dirty sweatshirt is also going to be somebody who thinks nothing of parking on grass. I mean, it's no big deal. That same person is going to throw a cigarette butt on the ground. No big deal. We need to all take a little more pride in everything we do.

I realize this kind of derailed. I'm sorry. Not sure what got me writing on such an admittedly trivial subject.

Quote Originally Posted by gurantula35 View Post
    if trucks parking on grass is the worse thing thats happening to us, then i'd say were doing pretty well.
    Some people want the premier retail corridor in OKC to look somewhat attractive. OKC has very few areas that are in the least bit pleasing to the eye, but Penn Square, being the top mall in the metro area and just south of Nichols Hills should be made to look halfway decent.

17. Default Re: Penn Square Mall

Of all the complaining about Penn Square Mall and people parking on the grass, has anyone bothered to contact Simon Properties to complain? Mall management? Facebook campaigns started? No? Not one action item? All the talk on here and no action has been taken. And if it has, there has been no mention.

Let's make these things happen, folks. Simply dreaming about your OKC wants on a message board will go no where.
    Continue the Renaissance!!!

Quote Originally Posted by gurantula35 View Post
    Yeah, because complaining that it's the worst thing is exactly what we were doing.

If they would put up a barrier to those areas, whether it be a barrier of flower beds, shrubs and trees or a two foot high landscaping wall, that would probably put an end to parking on the lawn at Penn Square. I realize it's a solution that costs the mall money to put in place initially, but I think it will save them money and headaches in the long run. Such a barreir could be made to look very nice and add to the aesthetic value of the mall.

HangryHippo Guest

Exactly! Just like your point about St. Louis shopping centers having things that prevent this sort of nonsense by lazy, careless people. Urbanized's post says it all.

HangryHippo Guest

And please don't hear me comparing parking on grass to the loss of jobs. Obviously no comparison. But striving for good outcomes in everything we do, little things and big things, should be our goal.

I think of going to dinner in a clean sweater rather than a dirty sweatshirt. Is that going to make a difference in one' life? Probably not. But someone who goes through life in a dirty sweatshirt is also going to be somebody who thinks nothing of parking on grass. I mean, it's no big deal. That same person is going to throw a cigarette butt on the ground. No big deal. We need to all take a little more pride in everything we do.

I realize this kind of derailed. I'm sorry. Not sure what got me writing on such an admittedly trivial subject.
    That's the thing though. It's not a trivial subject, at least not in my mind. It's an issue of pride and respect for other things. And that's no small thing. I think a lot in this world could be rectified if people took more pride in things and showed more respect for all things.

Quote Originally Posted by okcpulse View Post
    Of all the complaining about Penn Square Mall and people parking on the grass, has anyone bothered to contact Simon Properties to complain? Mall management? Facebook campaigns started? No? Not one action item? All the talk on here and no action has been taken. And if it has, there has been no mention.

Let's make these things happen, folks. Simply dreaming about your OKC wants on a message board will go no where.
    From what I've seen, Simon Properties is a talk-to-the-hand kind of company. Their main pylon sign at the intersection of NW Expressway and Penn has been broken for a looooong time, and repaired immediately AFTER the Christmas shopping season. Their response to attacks and abductions is to say "no comment" to reporters and ban them from the property.

Yeah, I'm sure if you'd make suggestions about parking they'd get right on it.

We went to Penn Square Mall today around 2:00 PM. There was no place to park anywhere. Nothing but cars driving around waiting for a car to pull out. It was as bad as I've ever seen it at Christmas time and this is March 1. After driving around for 30 minutes, half of that time not even moving because you are stuck behind a long line of cars waiting to pull out into the loop with no one letting you in, we left and went to Quail Springs. And we saw quite a few people jumping the curbs and parking on the grass at Penn. And while Quail seemed quite busy, there was no problem finding a place to park.

Quote Originally Posted by gjl View Post
    We went to Penn Square Mall today around 2:00 PM. There was no place to park anywhere. Nothing but cars driving around waiting for a car to pull out. It was as bad as I've ever seen it at Christmas time and this is March 1. After driving around for 30 minutes, half of that time not even moving because you are stuck behind a long line of cars waiting to pull out into the loop with no one letting you in, we left and went to Quail Springs. And we saw quite a few people jumping the curbs and parking on the grass at Penn. And while Quail seemed quite busy, there was no problem finding a place to park.
    Did you try the parking garage? I have never seen it full, even on the last weekend before Christmas.

Yes the parking garage is where we spent the most time waiting in line to pull back out into the loop. We spent quite a bit of money at Quail that the Penn merchants missed out on. It will be a long time before I ever consider going back to that mess.

Thread Information