Widgets Magazine
Page 28 of 83 FirstFirst ... 232425262728293031323378 ... LastLast

Thread: University Town Center

Default Re: UPDATE! University North Park

nm

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    The people who use the offices get great views of the little pond, walking trail, and other buildings. And the public (who put forth the majority of the money for UNP) get to look at their cars and huge surface lots.
    You honestly think the public has put up most of the money to develop UNP? Seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    You honestly think the public has put up most of the money to develop UNP? Seriously?
    Correct me if I am wrong but Norman basically gave them the land.

I had the finance Director for the City of Norman tell me that seeing the park from the interstate will make people get off and go shop there. LOL.

Zooming by at 70 MPH...

Quote Originally Posted by Geographer View Post
    I had the finance Director for the City of Norman tell me that seeing the park from the interstate will make people get off and go shop there. LOL.

Zooming by at 70 MPH...
    Frankly, I think some people just like to complain about this development no matter how it eventually ends up. And it makes sense to me that people might see it and stop--if not on that trip, on a future one. I have done this when visiting places in the past (i.e., make note that they look like a good place to stop on a future trip). I am not certain, but I believe there also may eventually be restaurants surrounding the fountain area. It would be nice to have a place where you can eat and then walk around a bit. Driving past, it appears to be coming along nicely.

6. Default Re: UPDATE! University North Park

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    So are you saying the TIF funding style doesn't pull money from the public?

7. Default Re: UPDATE! University North Park

Yeah, you can't argue against the fact that this project is a corporate welfare recipient. In addition to the TIF for the hotel on an island, the land used to be public. The city is also contractually building a public park in front of a highway onramp in this development.

The developers built that arrangement by promising the public that it would be a lifestyle center. They said world class "like Utica Square." There is good justification here for public scrutiny. This is one of the most vicious bait-and-switches I've ever seen, and Norman's pro-sprawl council just rolled over and played dead.

Next time Oklahoma-based developers promise world class, run away as fast as you can!

8. Default Re: UPDATE! University North Park

To be fair Spartan, most of the city council that approved that has been voted out of office and it is relatively new people.

At least the lifestyle center is still going to be built, unfortunately they used the justification of needed to bring traffic there first to build the strip mall developments we see now.

So there must be two posters named Spartan? https://web.archive.org/web/20060114...021/m/92310076

Quote Originally Posted by Mr T View Post
    So there must be two posters named Spartan? https://web.archive.org/web/20060114...021/m/92310076
    Posted September 22, 2005 17:32

Are you really implying people cannot change their opinions over the course of an entire decade? Or is there a point to your post that I am missing?

Of course a mind can be changed. I think a person of powerful persuasive abilities should be careful. It is too late for UNP.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong but Norman basically gave them the land.
    Pretty sure it is land owned by OU and leased to the developers.

Brownwood Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Yeah, you can't argue against the fact that this project is a corporate welfare recipient. In addition to the TIF for the hotel on an island, the land used to be public. The city is also contractually building a public park in front of a highway onramp in this development.

The developers built that arrangement by promising the public that it would be a lifestyle center. They said world class "like Utica Square." There is good justification here for public scrutiny. This is one of the most vicious bait-and-switches I've ever seen, and Norman's pro-sprawl council just rolled over and played dead.

Next time Oklahoma-based developers promise world class, run away as fast as you can!
    Agree. The project initially promised much more than the common strip mall it has become with it's vast array of fast food and "world class" retailers such as Dollar Tree, Dress Barn and National Tire.

I'm pleased that the overall development has maintained a consistent look and quality. When compared to the gypsy development 3 miles north off 19th street it looks far superior. Not sure if the plans would have been different if not for the recession which hit during the initial stages of development.

Dirt work next to IBC Bank in front of Crest.. Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Brownwood View Post
    Agree. The project initially promised much more than the common strip mall it has become with it's vast array of fast food and "world class" retailers such as Dollar Tree, Dress Barn and National Tire.

I'm pleased that the overall development has maintained a consistent look and quality. When compared to the gypsy development 3 miles north off 19th street it looks far superior. Not sure if the plans would have been different if not for the recession which hit during the initial stages of development.
    Construction hasn't begun on the part of the project to which you refer. The lifestyle center, which was supposed to be the upscale of part of the development (and the part that everyone seems to focus on), was always supposed to be across the street. As I have said before, it is still too early to pass final judgment on this project and whether or not it comes close to living up to expectations. And, yes, the economic situation has certainly made the situation more difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    Dirt work next to IBC Bank in front of Crest.. Any ideas?
    My understanding is it will be Verizon wireless. On the sad side, oh joy, another cell box. On the bright side, at least it isn't another mattress box.

17. Default Re: UPDATE! University North Park

That is weird that Verizon would build another location when they are already in UNP, unless they have outgrown the current location?

Just what I have heard. Might be in error. Myself, I was hoping for the Jack in the Box that was mentioned as a possible for the general area some time back. I mean seriously, doesn't everyone at least secretly hanker for another not too far away place to get a sorta-ok burger or a desperation taco?

19. Default Re: UPDATE! University North Park

Quote Originally Posted by Mr T View Post
    Wow thanks for finding that.

I've already disavowed my past though, young Republican and all. Kinda scary.

Now you are hardcore hipster.

Hey wanted to find out some information regarding some of the properties in University Town Center. How would I go about finding out who the owner is of a certain retail center? Specifically, the one with Five Guys and the one with Gigi's Cupcakes. Thanks in advance!

Blog Entries

You can go to the Cleveland County Assessor site and plug in address or the intersection and pull up info.

Quote Originally Posted by okatty View Post
    You can go to the Cleveland County Assessor site and plug in address or the intersection and pull up info.
    Thanks but I tried that. If I type in the address to those businesses, the Cleveland County Assessor only brings up the information for those specific businesses. I'm trying to find out who owns the strip that those businesses are located in. Unless there is something I'm not doing right when using the website.

Blog Entries

Cleveland County Assessor - Cookies

not sure which parcel is the one you are interested in but this would be the owner. Based out of NC. You can search that name to see the ones it owns.

Thread Information