Widgets Magazine
Page 28 of 78 FirstFirst ... 2324252627282930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: Costco

Default Re: Costco

I was fine with giving the incentives to cabelas. The incentive made sense, help kickoff Chisholm creek and build momentum for the area. Made sense.

Not sure why Costco gets one. A Costco isn’t going to lead to more, it’s just a Costco.

Also, is this a Dave & Busters situation? Where everyone talks about and wants one then 6 months after it’s open no one cares anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    Also, is this a Dave & Busters situation? Where everyone talks about and wants one then 6 months after it’s open no one cares anymore?
    HAHAHAHAHA, good one!

It's funny about Dave & Busters because I live nearby but have never been.

But went by last weekend and it was completely packed, so someone is going.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    It's funny about Dave & Busters because I live nearby but have never been.

But went by last weekend and it was completely packed, so someone is going.
    I guess I misunderstood the concept, because I was hoping for a bar with a bunch of video games and adults having fun playing games. The reality, the few times I've been, is a bar with a ton of kids playing video games, which is just not fun at all.

5. Default Re: Costco

^^^^^^^
    That definitely was the original concept. I used to go to one off of North Central Expressway in Dallas when visiting there often in the late eighties and early nineties and it was 100% geared at adults. Not sure I ever saw children at all.

My main gripe with D&B was they built it small. I've been to locations in Houston, Dallas and KC and they were all substantially bigger, on both the dining and the games side. At least it certainly seemed that way.

7. Default Re: Costco

Quote Originally Posted by barrettd View Post
    I guess I misunderstood the concept, because I was hoping for a bar with a bunch of video games and adults having fun playing games. The reality, the few times I've been, is a bar with a ton of kids playing video games, which is just not fun at all.
    Same here. The last time I went, it was like a Chuck-E-Cheese with a bar.

Good to see that it appears OKC will finally get Costco! This will keep Oklahoma dollars from going to Wichita, Lawrence, Dallas, Lubbock etc... I am hoping that people will see the huge difference between the monopolized Sam's and the new competition in town.

Quote Originally Posted by progressiveboy View Post
    Good to see that it appears OKC will finally get Costco! This will keep Oklahoma dollars from going to Wichita, Lawrence, Dallas, Lubbock etc... I am hoping that people will see the huge difference between the monopolized Sam's and the new competition in town.
    But do people really drive all the way to Wichita or Dallas just for Costco? That has to be a rather small demographic.

Quote Originally Posted by chuck5815 View Post
    But do people really drive all the way to Wichita or Dallas just for Costco? That has to be a rather small demographic.
    I doubt it's just for Costco, that would be rather silly in my opinion anyway. It's more like their going to those cities anyway and postponing any purchase they would make at Sam's Club.

Quote Originally Posted by progressiveboy View Post
    I think the competition is as important, if not MORE important, than who is doing the competing. I personally love Costco based on my own personal experience with them, but even if I never set foot in it I'm glad they're here if for no other reason than Sam's needs a swift kick in the ass, as OnCue did to 7-Eleven. Comcast has won awards for being the worst company multiple times, and for good reason, but I'd still rejoice if they came to the metro area just because Cox needs that same kick. Or anyone else, for that matter. I've had personal experience with SuddenLink and while not a cakewalk by any means, they were MUCH more responsive than Cox has ever been. On the other side of the coin, I've also had experience with Time Warner and was happy to be rid of them, but I'd applaud even if it were them.

Bottom line, competition tends to result in a better experience for the consumer, even if they don't switch.

12. Default Re: Costco

There are presently nearly 4000 Costco members who live in OKC.

Take IKEA as an example:

I wouldn't drive all the way down to Frisco just to head to IKEA, unless I had a specific big purchase planned. But I might decide to head down to Dallas for a couple of days during Spring Break and shop at IKEA while I'm down there. A business that is not available in OKC might not be the primary reason for a long drive somewhere, but it can be a factor that results in a decision that leads to someone spending more money out of state.

You can also belong to Costco and use their on-line service.

Just because you own a card does not mean you are driving to Tulsa or Dallas or Wichita.

It's not Costco, granted, but I've made trips to Dallas before specifically to go to Ikea, so.... It's not unheard of for people to drive several hours just to go to a specific store that we don't have here.

I joined Costco back in about 2011 when I was going weekly or every 2 weeks to KC to my eye doctor. I was going right by the store so it made sense to join and shop on the way home.

Blog Entries

Yes they do. And to Tulsa now.

18. Default Re: Costco

I’ve never driven to Dallas or elsewhere to go to Costco, but I have driven there over the years specifically to shop at West Elm, at The Container Store, at IKEA, and other stores. It does indeed happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    I’ve never driven to Dallas or elsewhere to go to Costco, but I have driven there over the years specifically to shop at West Elm, at The Container Store, at IKEA, and other stores. It does indeed happen.
    Curious if you would have if you didn't have to have a membership card? We have also driving to Dallas for similar stores but have never for Costco as I am not a member and didn't seem worth membership living so far away. Can't wait for the one here to open.

20. Default Re: Costco

Not sure. Costco and Sam’s really aren’t my style of consumption. I used to go to Sam’s regularly to buy bulk goods for my businesses, but no longer do so as I have Coca Cola deliver sodas and water to one business and sold the others a while back. I’m sure I’ll get a Costco membership, but I don’t know that I personally would go out of my way to go there. I just know that many people do.

Urban, I think its all about having more choices. Its back to the old arguments about Aldi's vs Whole Foods vs Uptown etc. Everyone has their favorites. I'm just happy we are getting more shopping options. For me, I'll be in there about once or twice a month stocking up.

Quote Originally Posted by oklip955 View Post
    Urban, I think its all about having more choices. Its back to the old arguments about Aldi's vs Whole Foods vs Uptown etc. Everyone has their favorites. I'm just happy we are getting more shopping options. For me, I'll be in there about once or twice a month stocking up.
    I am looking forward to trying some of their Kirkland products as I have heard very good reviews of them

23. Default Re: Costco

Quote Originally Posted by oklip955 View Post
    I’m definitely not advocating against Costco; I think it’s great that we are getting one. Just answering Jeep’s question regarding my own shopping habits.

Like Kirkland better then Sam's clubs brand.

I think it's been about a month since the announcement of the City of OKC negotiating with Costco over a reported 3 million dollar tax deal.

I would have thought this would have been finished now and building plans filed, permits ordered, whatever, but not a peep since then.

I wonder if this deal is even viably working?

I've been a Costco member for about 10 years. I used to buy in DFW, Albuquerque and California but now I usually just drive to Tulsa every 4 to 6 weeks.

Thread Information