Widgets Magazine
Page 27 of 141 FirstFirst ... 222324252627282930313277127 ... LastLast

Thread: Cannabis

Default Re: Time to Legalize Cannabis for recreational and medicinal use.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    I have never tried marijuana. I had an opportunity in a visit to Amsterdam a couple of years ago, but my upbringing wouldn't let me. Now with COPD, I am very interested in it, but it would have to be legal medical marijuana, I don't have the guts (and the old "upbringing" thing raises it's ugly head) to break the law. I'm not suffering now and I don't know if I will, but I'm definitely a "wimp" when it comes to pain. I have to have anesthesia when I get a haircut or a manicure/pedicure. Now, baloney aside, count me in as wanting medical marijuana in Oklahoma.
    C. T.
    You should have gone to Amsterdam anyways, as it is a city that has plenty more to offer than weed and a red light district. It is a beautiful city with tons of charm and culture.

As for the COPD, I hope you find something that helps with the symptoms, and if it is medical marijuana, I wouldnt let some politicians who claim it is bad to stop you from properly treating yourself. There is nothing immoral about using a natural plant to treat pain and suffering.

Onthestrip,
    I wasn't clear, I said "I had an opportunity in a visit to Amsterdam" when it would have more clear to say while visiting Amsterdam. Yes, I enjoyed our one week visit, the Van Gogh museum, Anne Frank's home, the markets, and of touring the city in general, a place where you are more likely to be run over by a bicycle than a car. We did visit the red light district, and stopped in a bar with the intent of trying marijuana, and in fact, one gentleman was smoking it, but as I said, I couldn't overcome the way I was raised so I didn't try it. As for politicians, I would ignore them, but laws? I couldn't ignore them. I wouldn't say it's immoral, but unfortunately, illegal.
    Thanks for your concern,
    C. T.
    Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    You should have gone to Amsterdam anyways, as it is a city that has plenty more to offer than weed and a red light district. It is a beautiful city with tons of charm and culture.

As for the COPD, I hope you find something that helps with the symptoms, and if it is medical marijuana, I wouldnt let some politicians who claim it is bad to stop you from properly treating yourself. There is nothing immoral about using a natural plant to treat pain and suffering.

State Sen. Johnson has bill to legalize marijuana in Oklahoma: Oklahoma Senator wants marijuana legalized, Says, ?Marijuana Has Not Killed Anyone? | KFOR.com

Economists Predict Marijuana Legalization Will Produce 'Public-Health Benefits' http://www.forbes.com/sites/jacobsul...alth-benefits/

I think Rep. Johnson would have better luck trying for medical marijuana first or even try to decriminalize it/lessen the penalty of possession. Baby steps would be better because we all know that full legalization isn't happening.

And Mark Woodward's quote, "I've seen it wreck more lives than any other drug" is the most bogus thing I've ever heard.

I think Rep. Johnson would have better luck trying for medical marijuana first or even try to decriminalize it/lessen the penalty of possession. Baby steps would be better because we all know that full legalization isn't happening.

And Mark Woodward's quote, "I've seen it wreck more lives than any other drug" is the most bogus thing I've ever heard.
    That's just some more of Woodward's Reefer Madness nonsense. I'm sure, though, that Oklahoma's overly punitive laws against marijuana is what has really wrecked lives. For instance, it's not so easy to get the job you want, if you have a marijuana felony on your record.

Johnson has tried without success to get medical marijuana legalized several times from previous years. I don't know if she has also submitted a medical marijuana legalization bill this year.

Last year, Rep. Cory Williams tried to get his bill passed that would reduce the 2nd charge of possession of marijuana from a felony to a misdemeanor. The Speaker of the House, Shannon, wouldn't let the full House vote on it, apparently because he feared it would make Republicans voting in favor of it look like they were being soft on crime. I don't know if it will be tried again this year.

Even if this does pass both chambers, You better hope Mary Fallin is voted out as governor this year because you know she'll veto it. She's got too much money in her war chest from the Private Prison industry.

No comment.

I agree. Legalization isn't happening in Oklahoma any time soon. Bringing penalties more in line with other states is the first step. After that, focus on medical marijuana.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    I agree. Legalization isn't happening in Oklahoma any time soon. Bringing penalties more in line with other states is the first step. After that, focus on medical marijuana.
    Actually, wouldn't a pilot program, overhauling current local (OK) liquor laws, in order to determine the veracity of the President's opinion, regarding the relative merits and drawbacks of the substances in question, be more advisable?

(uh . . . what wuz i sayin' . . .?)

This Just In (Breaking News): The Seahawks and The Broncos (ref. above "no comment" pic) have been busted for "transporting hookahs across state lines for non-medicinal purposes." An apparent violation of the standards, already courterized by the "baseball industry" and the "bicycling industry". Supporters of The Man Act are non-plussed at this development.

Woodward should be fired for saying on KFOR that marijuana is more dangerous than alcohol. Studies have shown that stoned drivers are not as dangerous as drunk drivers. States that legalize medical marijuana see fewer fatal car accidents, according to one study, in part because people may be substituting marijuana smoking for drinking alcohol. At any rate, fatal car accidents didn't go up after medical marijuana was legalized.

While some people want to get high, other people want relief from allergies and find it by going to a drug store and pick out an antihistamine that may cause drowsiness, possibly leading to impaired driving. Yet, people seem to be handling the perils of the over the counter drug market in a good responsible manner, since I don't know of any crusades demanding banning drugs that can cause drowsiness. Neither do I hear Woodward harping about it. I think people can handle legalized marijuana in the same way.

Woodward is simply paid off by the prison industry and is deathly afraid of an Oklahoma where people aren't locked up for ten years for possessing a joint.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Woodward is simply paid off by the prison industry and is deathly afraid of an Oklahoma where people aren't locked up for ten years for possessing a joint.
    Woodward probably would only tell you that very few Oklahomans ever go to prison over possession charges of marijuana alone. But I don't know the actual percentage of people in Oklahoma prisons over just a marijuana possession charge. But other charges added on, such as also being found in the possession of a fire arm, or selling it may do it.

Perhaps the next time Mr. Woodward is invited to be an expert guest commentator on KFOR they could make him stand in front of a blue screen and "photoshop" in clown makeup . . . along with some juggling, trapeze artistry, and lion-taming going on the background? (it might be one step in the desired direction of whatever or wherever)

This will probably go nowhere, but for what it's worth:

Bill filed to legalize marijuana in Oklahoma | News OK

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    This will probably go nowhere, but for what it's worth:

Bill filed to legalize marijuana in Oklahoma | News OK
    I wonder how many people will have to show up in support of this bill to make a difference? Prob. at least 99% of the population of OK.

Good letter to the editor from an inmate in yesterdays paper. I know many just look past these things but it is unconscionable to me how someone could get life for using or selling a drug.

I'm one of a number of Oklahomans who've been given a “death sentence” (life without parole) for a nonviolent drug offense. Concerned citizens should join us in getting this social injustice changed. We need to show the Legislature that the public doesn't support the incarceration of citizens until their death for a nonviolent offense. This sentence should be used only for the most violent, heinous crimes. Locking up people until they die for drug offenses is wrong and the law needs to be changed.

I estimate that 49 people are serving a sentence of life without parole for a nonviolent drug offense. If all of us stay in prison until we die, it will cost taxpayers tens of millions of dollars in housing and medical costs alone. There has to be a smarter way to deal with drug offenders. Let your voice be heard and tell your neighbors, friends, church members and anyone else you can think of to see this for what it is — wrong. Stop this injustice and support ending the life-without-parole sentence for nonviolent drug offenders.

William Dufries, Granite

Dufries is an inmate at the Oklahoma State Reformatory in Granite.

link: Drug sentencing rules need to be changed | News OK

I'll never be able to quite understand how it was once thought that, Jimmy Montgomery, a paraplegic in a wheelchair with marijuana, posed such a serious menace to society that he had to be sentenced to life in prison. He wasn't in there for long, though, and got out, due to serious medical issues.

I guess it shows a lot of Oklahomans feel people who sell drugs are as low as child molesters, or worse, because nobody should be selling anyone anything one could get addicted to. But then no one would think of giving life in prison to a liquor store clerk who sells booze every day to an alcoholic. But it further shows that society's problem with drugs should be viewed much more as a serious public health problem, not an extreme criminal one.

Please see post 665, plupan.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    Please see post 665, plupan.
    I know; wishful thinking man!

Now up with a Facebook page! Now's your chance to get involved.

https://www.facebook.com/SB2116?fref=tck

Thread Information