Widgets Magazine
Page 27 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2223242526272829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

1. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    Have not been to Memphis but from what I've heard go to Rendezvous for the experience. Not so much for the best BBQ.

I've been told by a couple of people that when I make it there to try Germantown Commissary.
    They are headed to Rendezvous. I'm curious to hear how they like Memphis BBQ vs. Texas BBQ (and anything they're used to here), as the dry rub style is much different.

2. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

My suggestion, and this comes from being a BBQ judge, is to not try and compare regions because it's literally like comparing apples to oranges.... Both are tasty but for different reasons.

3. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

My suggestion, and this comes from being a BBQ judge, is to not try and compare regions because it's literally like comparing apples to oranges.... Both are tasty but for different reasons.
    I agree, I could have worded that better. They are relatively picky eaters and I'm hoping they don't try and compare that to the BBQ they're used to.

Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

Quote Originally Posted by sooner88 View Post
    They are headed to Rendezvous. I'm curious to hear how they like Memphis BBQ vs. Texas BBQ (and anything they're used to here), as the dry rub style is much different.
    That and ribs and brisket are different as well.

I really like Corky's. There are several good places in Memphis but I have been to Corky's four times and it's always excellent.
    C. T.

6. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

Have not been to Memphis but from what I've heard go to Rendezvous for the experience. Not so much for the best BBQ.

I've been told by a couple of people that when I make it there to try Germantown Commissary.
    Stay AWAY from Rendezvous. Especially a discriminating 'cue consumer like yourself. TERRIBLE. And it is an extreme tourist trap, a la Spaghetti Warehouse if there were only one and if everyone told tourists that it was the best Italian food in the world, while laughing up their sleeves. If it were a fishing charter it would be known as a head boat. It is the place everyone in Memphis tells the tourists to go to, because it is the place where tourists are SUPPOSED to go. As far as recommendations go, it is similar to how everyone in OKC tells people to go to Cattleman's, even though they know Cattleman's is by far not the best steak. Except that the (right) steaks at Cattlemen's are still pretty decent, while Rendezvous is grade D crapola.

In Memphis I would personally recommend Central BBQ or Corky's, though I have also heard good things about Cozy Corner and Interstate (Neely's).

Just to be clear: Rendezvous is straight garbage.

7. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

And for the record, I'm not a huge fan of Memphis style, anyway. But Rendezvous? Putrid.

8. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

Like, I went there seven or eight years ago and I'm STILL mad about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    And for the record, I'm not a huge fan of Memphis style, anyway. But Rendezvous? Putrid.
    Thought it was really great!

10. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

Ew.

11. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

It's poop!

Corky's!
    C. T.

13. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

They ended up at Rendezvous and liked it! They're far from discriminating BBQ eaters and were passing through town, so touristy was not necessarily a negative.

Blog Entries

In Memphis, I prefer Germantown Commissary.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    Corky's!
    C. T.
    Agreed!

so... after a week of curing, i smoked this with some apple wood tonight to an internal temp of 140. each belly section has the same basic dry cure, just a different sugar for flavoring: honey, brown sugar, and maple. i tasted a bit and it was like i've never really tasted bacon before. can't wait to fry this stuff up tomorrow morning.

again, thanks for the tips everybody. -M

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160819_225407.jpg 
Views:	397 
Size:	3.13 MB 
ID:	12900  

17. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

That looks amazing!

18. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

Nice job Martin! That looks great and like I said earlier up the thread.... You will never want to eat store bought bacon again!

That looks great. I have been wanting to try myself. Cant wait to hear how it fries up

20. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    That looks great. I have been wanting to try myself. Cant wait to hear how it fries up
    It won't fry quite as crispy as store bought bacon since it was hot smoked instead of cold smoked.... But it's darn delicious stuff..... I have considered trying to make some in the winter, when the temps stay below 40, and trying to cold smoke it.

21. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

I'm cooking pulled pork for 40 people this weekend and decided to try something new while the shoulders were cooking.... It's called an onion bomb.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3734.JPG 
Views:	70 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	12901

It's a yellow onion stuffed with meatloaf, that I put some white cheddar in the middle of, wrapped in bacon, sprinkled with rub, and glazed with Head Country.

22. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

, and glazed with Head Country.
    I love head country. It was the stuff my grandma used to buy all the time. Just last week I marinated some shredded seitan for 48 hours in head country and made some bbq sandwiches out if it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bbq.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	505.7 KB 
ID:	12902

23. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

Quote Originally Posted by tfvc.org View Post
    I love head country. It was the stuff my grandma used to buy all the time. Just last week I marinated some shredded seitan for 48 hours in head country and made some bbq sandwiches out if it.
    Have you tried smoking jack fruit? I've heard it has a similar texture to pork. I've heard they serve it at Picasso Cafe.

24. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

Have you tried smoking jack fruit? I've heard it has a similar texture to pork. I've heard they serve it at Picasso Cafe.
    I have bought the bbq product from Thejackfruitcompany, but have never made it myself. It does have a nice texture and flavor (like pulled pork) the thing about jackfruit including their product is you have to cook it for longer than what you think it needs to be cooked for because it tends to be a bit "slimy".

It won't fry quite as crispy as store bought bacon since it was hot smoked instead of cold smoked.... But it's darn delicious stuff..... I have considered trying to make some in the winter, when the temps stay below 40, and trying to cold smoke it.
    I could cold smoke with my old cookshack. Haven't researched to see if my FEC120 will.

Thread Information