Widgets Magazine
Page 27 of 81 FirstFirst ... 222324252627282930313277 ... LastLast

Thread: Boardwalk at Bricktown / Dream Hotel

Default Re: Boardwalk at Bricktown / Dream Hotel

Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post
    reading is fundamental

Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post
    For a developer to build. The govt cannot purchase the land using TIF. The govt can give TIF to a developer to develop a site like you mentioned which the COOP site def meets that criteria. To this point, no developer has wanted to pay the price for the land that is being asked which is why it is under consideration for the MAPS soccer stadium which would reduce the size of the lots surrounding the new stadium making it easier for a developer to finance.

please please PLEASE can this thread NOT be hijacked by another TIF argument...

^^Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by EtanEiko View Post
    please please PLEASE can this thread NOT be hijacked by another TIF argument...
    Yes, agreed.

Thanks for the reminder to get back discussing this development.

I feel like as soon as all the T's are crossed and I's dotted this project is goign to move like what we are seeing at OAK. I think these two developments are a true testament that what is happening in OKC is very very real and not going away anytime soon. I just hope the progress is gradual, and not warp speed as from what we see in Austin. and I LOVE Austin, if money wasn't a factor I'd live there but goodness its gotten far to big way to fast. But, I digress, THIS is so exciting!

Reminder of what these towers would look like in relation to our skyline. There would actually be a 4th tower to the south.

Also, look how well-positioned the old Cox site is for a new arena and entertainment district.

This will be an impressive enhancement to the skyline.

Wish we could get a 1993 version of this same picture.

I think its been kicked around but the height of these buildings would be between Oklahoma Tower height and Valliance bank tower height, yeah? like 350' ish

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Reminder of what these towers would look like in relation to our skyline. There would actually be a 4th tower to the south.

Also, look how well-positioned the old Cox site is for a new arena and entertainment district.

You are correct in the old Cox site. I also think there are several street level lots in main Bricktown that are also ripe for development with one of them turning into a parking garage. The lot just outside the outfield of the stadium should also develop into a parking garage and finally, I am not sure what the ticket numbers are for Harkins but if that were to ever get torn down, that would make a massive residential development that would greatly impact the area just like this development will.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

Any chance the canal gets extended through the Cox site to connect to the new arena and entertainment district?

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    Any chance the canal gets extended through the Cox site to connect to the new arena and entertainment district?
    Digging a canal under the railroad? Never going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Digging a canal under the railroad? Never going to happen.
    The groundwork for this exists.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoe View Post
    BNSF didn't want any new tunnel ..... they will not want a canal ..

16. Default Re: Boardwalk at Bricktown / Dream Hotel

Quote Originally Posted by jdross1982 View Post
    You are correct in the old Cox site. I also think there are several street level lots in main Bricktown that are also ripe for development with one of them turning into a parking garage. The lot just outside the outfield of the stadium should also develop into a parking garage and finally, I am not sure what the ticket numbers are for Harkins but if that were to ever get torn down, that would make a massive residential development that would greatly impact the area just like this development will.
    I doubt the Harkins is going anywhere anytime soon. This new residential development will only increase their numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by jdross1982 View Post
    There's perfectly good land immediately south of OKC Boulevard and the Uhaul site that I would prefer to see developed instead of the only movie theatre within walking distance for the most dense part of the city.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    I doubt the Harkins is going anywhere anytime soon. This new residential development will only increase their numbers.
    Very possibly true, just know movie numbers have gone down significantly since Covid and movies are showing up faster through various platforms that would previously be seen in the theatre.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoe View Post
    It is never in a million years going to happen.

1. Crazy thing about the last pictures Pete shared is I believe those are for the old rendering so those are possibly only 2 thirds of the height the new renderings will show(still great pic)
    2. I don’t think Paycom will get torn down if the Olympics come to OKC that will attract other word event that may require two arenas. Or summer league or all star weekend... Paycom can still be used to house a minor league hockey team and the OKC BLUE
    3. If the Olympics do come to OKC I’ll bet you atleast 2 more hotels to kick off the start the co op
    4. Maybe just maybe strawberry fields open a hotel or two and then..ford site maybe a condo..same for the ballpark lot
    5. I think the best place for an extension of the canal is the CO OP property probably the cheapest and what goes in there could be bigger than boardwalk.

If the Olympics events are hosted here I can realistically see up to 10 high rises(15-25 stories) being built before then

Quote Originally Posted by Sonicthunder View Post
    1. Crazy thing about the last pictures Pete shared is I believe those are for the old rendering so those are possibly only 2 thirds of the height the new renderings will show(still great pic)
    2. I don’t think Paycom will get torn down if the Olympics come to OKC that will attract other word event that may require two arenas. Or summer league or all star weekend... Paycom can still be used to house a minor league hockey team and the OKC BLUE
    3. If the Olympics do come to OKC I’ll bet you atleast 2 more hotels to kick off the start the co op
    4. Maybe just maybe strawberry fields open a hotel or two and then..ford site maybe a condo..same for the ballpark lot
    5. I think the best place for an extension of the canal is the CO OP property probably the cheapest and what goes in there could be bigger than boardwalk.

If the Olympics events are hosted here I can realistically see up to 10 high rises(15-25 stories) being built before then
    Why? This is the only project with a high rise going.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonicthunder View Post

No one is going to touch the co-op site in our grandchildren’s lifetime., the brownfield contamination clean up costs alone were in the $100’s of millions ( I heard anyway) that industry did not have a history of environmental responsibility we should be glad it’s not still in operation making bricktown smell like a fart. Short of a angel invester with very deep pockets or a maps like initiative (which I’m open to considering the history of maps) it’s just going to continue as is

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Residential next door may be a shot in the arm for them, but they've been on a downward slope for a long time. The company doesn't seem interested in investing in this location beyond maintaining it to a certain minimum. This location has been slated for improvements and upgrades multiple times only for them to be shoved back down to the bottom of the list. Other Harkins of similar size and age have seen recliner seats, bars, and additional food options added. Harkins Bricktown has seen their ticket prices drop to budget level while newer, better theatres have opened around them.

Harkins only came here back in the day because they were curious about expanding out of their home state of Arizona and the sweet deal offered after the collapse of Edwards Theatres made Bricktown a low risk way to try it out. They've since expended efforts expanding more in Colorado and California. They closed the one theatre they opened in Texas. My guess is they are more than ready to exit this market as soon as it makes sense, but that original sweet deal keeps them on just this side of "making sense".

Maybe if this development brings them higher attendance Harkins will provide more attention to this location, but I doubt it. Personally, I think best case scenario is Harkins chooses to leave the market and a better exhibitor more dedicated to this location and market moves in and runs things.

^Wow I had not realized Harkins tickets had gotten so cheap. Just looked and it is $7.50 for primetime Friday and Saturday timeslots. It looks like they are making up for it on concessions, though.

I remember when Tinseltown was always the best bang-for-buck, but they are near $10 for a ticket. However, it is nicer than Harkins.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    ^Wow I had not realized Harkins tickets had gotten so cheap. Just looked and it is $7.50 for primetime Friday and Saturday timeslots. It looks like they are making up for it on concessions, though.

I remember when Tinseltown was always the best bang-for-buck, but they are near $10 for a ticket. However, it is nicer than Harkins.
    The baseline concession prices are expensive, but Harkins does have easily the best concessions rewards program I've ever seen in a movie theatre. Buy a loyalty cup for $8 and get $2 refills for the rest of the year. Pay $30 to get a free medium popcorn every time you buy a movie ticket for the next year. I truly have no idea how this theatre stays in business, but my best guess is that they have a really good deal with the city so that there isn't a giant empty building overlooking the Canal. I'm taking advantage of it for as long as they are here, but I do expect that they will eventually close up shop.

Thread Information