Widgets Magazine
Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2223242526272829 LastLast

Thread: Panasonic Battery Plant

Default Re: Panasonic Battery Plant

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    Eh they have a good thing going with their PHEVs. The Rav4 Prime is backlogged with orders for years. They know their market pretty well.
    I was talking about solid state batteries

Solid state batteries will revolutionize the EV industry if all goes well with their final developments.

Toyota's 745-Mile Solid-State Battery Breakthrough, Explained.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news...ed/ar-AA1kznxE

^

Thanks for sharing that.

I have no doubt batteries will soon get much better simply because they will represent perhaps the biggest market in the world.

History has shown that when you get a lot of companies all over the globe throwing huge resources at something with potentially huge revenues, significant innovation always follows.

EV's are still in their infancy; I bet in 5 years we'll see some pretty dramatic improvements in range.

Toyota is looking to get out in front with EV's, fuel cells, and PHEV.
    Toyota is looking to have their solid state batteries in use prior to 2030.
    They also plan to manufacture these batteries in house in N.C.
    Toyota has been very smart in how they have approached new technology. They realize consumers by and large are being cautious with EV's and the range anxiety that goes with them. They put out a quality product and Tesla with the baggage their owner carries should take note.
    This article was published 2 days ago.
    https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a4...battery-plans/

Electric cars seem to be before their time:

[deleted: crazy conspiracy site ~ Pete]

Is Oklahoma Still getting one or did Kansas Snatch it up?

Quote Originally Posted by TornadoKegan View Post
    Is Oklahoma Still getting one or did Kansas Snatch it up?
    Still the plan but no timeline for construction to begin

It sounded to me like it is in an indefinite hold due to the slump in EV demand. Will probably pick back up eventually, but who knows if they'll still need the second facility.

Quote Originally Posted by shavethewhales View Post
    It sounded to me like it is in an indefinite hold due to the slump in EV demand. Will probably pick back up eventually, but who knows if they'll still need the second facility.
    i mean i think we all assumed it would happen after the De Soto plant was finished. and it is currently being constructed with still a target opening of 2025. so at this point, i see no reason to believe that anything is on an indefinite hold until the end of 2025 and no ground work has been started.

in fact, just back in july, Panasonic told Reuters in an interview that it needed to boost it's battery production by about 4 times it's capacity of the de soto facility, and do so by 2031. and they apparently have still been looking at a March 2024 announcement of their third North American battery production site.

so i guess that really will be the first sign of if things have slowed down, is if a third site isn't announced in March or April 2024. and then the bidding for a potential 4th never starts.

Panasonic rebuffs Oklahoma again, won't build EV battery plant in Pryor.

sounds definitive…

https://www.kosu.org/local-news/2023...plant-in-pryor

I wonder what the differences were in the $245 million in site work requested vs $145 million proposed? Did they want a multimodal freight facility? I think I posted about that earlier being a major factor for a couple other missed opportunities. Anything that builds here still has a challenge with shipping, whether they use the port for some of it or not.

lol

Unfortunately, Oklahoma looks to be behind other states in EV battery manufacturing in 2020, but map is nearly a year old.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/01/05/map-...s-in-2030.html

Not surprised they are no longer in expansion mode. Panasonic had recently indicated they were cutting production due to weakening demand for EV's

The move comes amidst widespread concerns of a weakening EV market. Although most major automakers have seen sales of battery-powered cars improve on a year-over-year basis, OEM executives have been slowly dialing back expectations on the segment for several months. In October, Ford delayed investments totaling $12 billion, which would have heavily expanded its EV manufacturing capabilities. General Motors also postponed the release of a planned electric pickup. Both companies blamed their decisions on slower-than-expected EV sales. Tesla, who has been a primary client of Panasonic for years, has also struggled with demand throughout the year despite implementing numerous price cuts to attract buyers.
    https://www.cbtnews.com/panasonic-cu...-demand-fears/

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    Not surprised they are no longer in expansion mode. Panasonic had recently indicated they were cutting production due to weakening demand for EV's

https://www.cbtnews.com/panasonic-cu...-demand-fears/
    Yeah, this probably has more to do with EV demand than Oklahoma.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisHayes View Post
    Yeah, this probably has more to do with EV demand than Oklahoma.
    There always seems to be some excuse. Not saying it isn’t valid but damn we missed out on such a good opportunity. This would’ve be so transformative for the state let alone Tulsa. This could’ve been what really propelled Tulsa into a major league city. Sucks. Oh well, onto the next one.

i mean people keep saying it's EV demand.... etc... but we still have to wait and see. if they select another spot, then it wasn't EV demand, it was Oklahoma. if they decide to only go with the one plant, then okay,

I don’t think it’s EV demand. I’m renting a Tesla and heading back to OKC. I’ll report on how it goes. I’m honestly not a fan of EVs but I may follow travelers recommendations and get a mini EV because I test drove at Cooper in Edmond and I loved it. Instead of borrowing my folks or grandparents rides I may just buy one to keep there. I have a 99 Grand Marquis which I love to death but I might bring her to Moab and keep that there and I already have my cars in LA I just need a couple in OKC. If I can make some money and get a place of my own in the 405 that’ll be better too. If I get an EV I’ll have to charge it through a regular extension cord wire at my grandmas house if possible it’ll just take all night. I wonder if BMW has a Tesla like charger they can install. I never asked but I’m coming back up there for Christmas I’m going to back to see what’s up.

Overall from what I’ve heard is EV demand isn’t down that much only a little so I don’t see why it would impact an expansion. I think Oklahoma just lost out plain and simple. Shame.

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    i mean people keep saying it's EV demand.... etc... but we still have to wait and see. if they select another spot, then it wasn't EV demand, it was Oklahoma. if they decide to only go with the one plant, then okay,
    Watch Panasonic select Nebraska or something within the next year or so.

Imagine that.

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    With Tesla slashing prices more than once in the last year, Ford scaling back, Hertz not buying anymore Teslas is there really any doubt the EV demand is declining in this country? There is a record high of unsold ev inventory on dealer lots as I write this. You don't have to wait, you can see this right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I don’t think it’s EV demand. I’m renting a Tesla and heading back to OKC. I’ll report on how it goes. I’m honestly not a fan of EVs but I may follow travelers recommendations and get a mini EV because I test drove at Cooper in Edmond and I loved it. Instead of borrowing my folks or grandparents rides I may just buy one to keep there. I have a 99 Grand Marquis which I love to death but I might bring her to Moab and keep that there and I already have my cars in LA I just need a couple in OKC. If I can make some money and get a place of my own in the 405 that’ll be better too. If I get an EV I’ll have to charge it through a regular extension cord wire at my grandmas house if possible it’ll just take all night. I wonder if BMW has a Tesla like charger they can install. I never asked but I’m coming back up there for Christmas I’m going to back to see what’s up.

Overall from what I’ve heard is EV demand isn’t down that much only a little so I don’t see why it would impact an expansion. I think Oklahoma just lost out plain and simple. Shame.
    https://www.cnbc.com/2023/12/11/f-15...s-in-half.html

Cutting the F150 Lighting in half next year, doesn’t seem to be a positive in demand. This truck was supposed to be the cream of the crop when it comes to US Evs.

24. Default Re: Panasonic Battery Plant

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post

The Mini Cooper Ev gets around 110-120 miles per full charge from what a salesman told me. I have a Mini (gas) and was pursuing some info while I was getting my oil changed at Jackie Cooper last month. I feel like I drive 120 miles in one day around here when out doing errands, I can’t imagine having to charge it that much. My phone already makes me crazy with its needy battery issues, I def would want that in a car.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    With Tesla slashing prices more than once in the last year, Ford scaling back, Hertz not buying anymore Teslas is there really any doubt the EV demand is declining in this country? There is a record high of unsold ev inventory on dealer lots as I write this. You don't have to wait, you can see this right now.
    Not only is there doubt, it's simply false that EV demand is falling.

Electric vehicle (EV) sales volumes set another record in Q3, as total sales of battery-powered vehicles jumped past 300,000 for the first time in the U.S. market. Year-to-date EV sales through September reached just over 873,000, putting the market firmly on track to surpass 1 million for the first time ever. The milestone will likely be achieved in November.

Total EV sales in Q3, according to an estimate from Kelley Blue Book, hit 313,086, a 49.8% increase from the same period one year ago and an increase from the 298,039 sold in Q2.
    https://www.coxautoinc.com/market-in...2023-ev-sales/

Thread Information