Widgets Magazine
Page 27 of 30 FirstFirst ... 222324252627282930 LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma Turnpike Authority

Default Re: Oklahoma Turnpike Authority

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Martin View Post
    The further west you go the higher the cost. Wasn't the purpose to divert traffic around Norman, and not through it?
    i think it's a mix of both. which is why they went west of thunderbird. to get traffic off of I-35 and also still be used for norman.

Press release:

Oklahoma Turnpike Authority stops work on ACCESS Oklahoma projects
    4/11/2023

Earlier today, the Oklahoma Turnpike Authority notified its board and its consultants that all work on the comprehensive, long-range plan, known as Access Oklahoma, will cease as of Friday, April 14. This stoppage includes the work on the Turner Turnpike as well as the widening and interchange additions for safety and community access on other highly used turnpikes across the state – projects that are high priorities to the board, OTA and the state as a whole.

While OTA remains in a strong financial position in large part due to exceptional accounting practices and financial controls in place, it can no longer continue funding work without a clear timetable for access to the bond market.

“I have mentioned several times, including during the recent board meeting, that our continued ACCESS Oklahoma project work would be impacted or even stopped due to our inability to enter the bond market,” Secretary of Transportation and OTA Executive Director Tim Gatz told the board in the memo.

Several factors impacted this decision. In recent months, legal matters pending before the Supreme Court, including the “validation” case, and an impending state investigative audit, have prevented access to the bond market.

The OTA will continue normal operations and maintenance to existing toll roads as well as moving forward with the conversion to cashless tolling. OTA will also continue to service existing debt. All of these activities are funded through toll receipts that are consistently meeting or exceeding financial projections while the ACCESS Oklahoma projects are funded through bond proceeds.

“Despite the tremendous transportation needs across the state, I feel it is prudent to take this difficult step,” Gatz said. “This is an unfortunate decision that the OTA does not take lightly due to the critical nature of the ACCESS Oklahoma plan and the effect it will have on all our consultants and their employees as well as many Oklahoma communities and businesses that rely on these necessary transportation improvements. While these delays slow progress for the state, it doesn’t eliminate the need for these critical transportation enhancements that will improve safety and the quality of life for all Oklahomans.”

OTA remains committed to its statutory mission to relieve traffic congestion throughout the state through the construction of legislatively authorized turnpike projects which increase safety for the traveling public in a conservative and fiscally responsible manner.

“Once these roadblocks are resolved and a path to the bond market is cleared, I am confident we will resume ACCESS Oklahoma and begin moving forward on behalf of the people of Oklahoma,” Gatz said.

Wowza

Wow, count me very surprised.

the Oklahoma SC decision should come any time now and most thought it would already be issued ..

6. Default Re: Oklahoma Turnpike Authority

Fantastic news and a massive win for property rights / property owners in Oklahoma. It's not completely dead yet, but I will drink a beer to this victory.

Huge bummer and hopefully they issue a ruling in the OTAs favor so we can get these much needed projects underway.

Not sure what has actually changed. OTA just had to stop limited planning operations due to lack of funding until a decision comes out from Supreme Court. Unless of course they already know the outcome of that case.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    Not sure what has actually changed. OTA just had to stop limited planning operations due to lack of funding until a decision comes out from Supreme Court. Unless of course they already know the outcome of that case.
    The big issue is that they're stopping ALL work, not just the Norman stuff. That includes the 3-lane designs for Turner Turnpike, etc. So that's the big change. Most people are focused on the Norman work, but Access was bigger than that...

It feels like this is a precursor to the Supreme Court ruling not going OTA’s way.

There are scenarios were this actually results in OK legislature changing law to allow construction projects being funded by bonds, If they can't hide behind OTA boogeyman anymore. Half of the population thinks OTA is a private entity.

Quote Originally Posted by LakeEffect View Post
    The big issue is that they're stopping ALL work, not just the Norman stuff. That includes the 3-lane designs for Turner Turnpike, etc. So that's the big change. Most people are focused on the Norman work, but Access was bigger than that...
    they were just floating all that work with existing funds ... but that is simply not something that can continue ..

Quote Originally Posted by LakeEffect View Post
    Drummond requests investigative audit of Oklahoma Turnpike Authority | Oklahoma Attorney General
    https://www.oag.ok.gov/articles/drum...pike-authority

This could be a factor in going forward with new projects as well.

14. Default Re: Oklahoma Turnpike Authority

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    It feels like this is a precursor to the Supreme Court ruling not going OTA’s way.
    Or the AG's investigative audit revealing some rather nefarious financial dealings.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	340525453_238247502108971_8709117099410320152_n.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	98.0 KB 
ID:	17985

That statement just confirms the AGs actions are just political. OTA saying it doesn't want to spend money it doesn't have: oh must be something fishy going on..........

If the audit agency doesn't find a suggestion for OTA to improve on then they didn't do a very good job because every government agency has waste. That's their job after all, find government waste. They don't need a politically aspiring AG to tell then to do their job.

How is it that the OTA has so much bond debt that they can't afford to make improvement's to existing toll roads?
    Oh wait, I guess that's because discovery in the latest case showed that they spend 6-15x more per mile of road than ODOT.
    An audit is for sure needed.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    That statement just confirms the AGs actions are just political. OTA saying it doesn't want to spend money it doesn't have: oh must be something fishy going on..........

If the audit agency doesn't find a suggestion for OTA to improve on then they didn't do a very good job because every government agency has waste. That's their job after all, find government waste. They don't need a politically aspiring AG to tell then to do their job.

Correct me if I am wrong but it seems you are suggesting it is not the place of the AG to request an audit. If you feel the auditor should act on their own when auditing agencies, then you are mistaken in how it works.

https://www.sai.ok.gov/frequently_asked_questions/

Can audits be requested?
    Alleged fraud or abuse in goverment may be reported to the State Auditor, but the State Auditor cannot initiate or begin an audit without the official request of a specified government entity/officer or the approval of an official petition.

The Attorney General may request an audit in any matter that the Attorney General is investigating. (74 O.S. § 18f)

18. Default Re: Oklahoma Turnpike Authority

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Martin View Post
    How is it that the OTA has so much bond debt that they can't afford to make improvement's to existing toll roads?
    Oh wait, I guess that's because discovery in the latest case showed that they spend 6-15x more per mile of road than ODOT.
    An audit is for sure needed.
    I can think of a couple of legitimate reasons for this off the top of my head.

19. Default Re: Oklahoma Turnpike Authority

I wouldn't read too much in to this. It simply means that they are being fiscally responsible and pausing any work that's not funded. Once the cases are resolved (and they will be and OTA is going to get pas all the delays) and they'll be right back at it.

Nothing so far as shown (as much as I despise the OTA), that it's really anything more than delays. Re-do the meetings. Re-do the plans and things to follow the proper guidelines. They absolutely have the right to take bonds, so all of this is just going to delay what will eventually happen.

I did laugh a bit at their comment about the items being critical. It's critical if you are looking to bring in more money to the OTA, but while the Norman pieces are nice (unless you're a property owner), calling them critical is a stretch. Same with Turner being 6 lanes. If I35 in OKC can be stuck at 4 lanes as long as it has been, well i'm pretty sure we'll survive with a 4 lane Turner for a while longer.

Oh OTA, you're such a farce. You'll win in the end, but you're also a drama queen.

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    I wouldn't read too much in to this. It simply means that they are being fiscally responsible and pausing any work that's not funded. Once the cases are resolved (and they will be and OTA is going to get pas all the delays) and they'll be right back at it.
    yup... this... i think people are reading way too much into this. the OTA was hoping all was resolved and the bond money would be coming in by now. this is just them realizing this is going to take longer, and so are waiting until they have that money... i think it means they have heard the SC ruling will be delayed even longer, not that it is coming soon and that they know the outcome is against them.

Its going to be awkward if a newly elected Governor Drummond is one of the dignitaries cutting the ribbon on a new Norman turnpike in 2027.

22. Default Re: Oklahoma Turnpike Authority

Im not paying to read this joke, but it's typical stuff they would create to attract clickbait.
    https://www.oklahoman.com/story/news...y/70127010007/

So without even reading it, i can tell you from the title, that this is bull. In case anyone forgot, it's a toll system. If they are in danger of being "insolvent" they stop maintenance or construction somewhere and just raise the tolls. Who's going to tell them no to a rate hike? Have you ever seen a rake hike denied?

I know we all hate the OTA (myself included), but much like the Norman people that were spreading lies about Access Oklahoma (and its the same group now really) this causes you lose credibility for your cause. Don't make up crap and then try to pain them as the bad guy. Creating a bunch of lies makes you just as much of a bad guy here.

And shame on the Jokelahoman for publishing trash like this, knowing it's just full of inaccuracies.

Posted this earlier and it's still a good listen. Skip to minute 16 to get past all the mumbo jumbo.
    Some really good info on the court case the OTA just lost and the current OTA financials.
    https://freedom969.com/podcast/the-j...ay_file=133146
    I can understand now why the state AG will be doing the audit.

State government cancel culture in action. Keep up the good work to slow down Accesss Oklahoma.

https://www.okenergytoday.com/2023/0...-by-treasurer/

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    State government cancel culture in action. Keep up the good work to slow down Accesss Oklahoma.

https://www.okenergytoday.com/2023/0...-by-treasurer/
    This doesn't slow down Access Oklahoma, it slows down progress in Oklahoma. Build it now!

Thread Information