Widgets Magazine
Page 26 of 83 FirstFirst ... 212223242526272829303176 ... LastLast

Thread: University Town Center

Default Re: UPDATE! University North Park

Not a fan. Whether going to OKC or coming from, if I am driving, I prefer to use 77/Flood. In part because old habits die hard and in part because even with several improvements over the years, none were designed/constructed by starving zombies.

Quote Originally Posted by Geographer View Post
    Has anyone tried to get onto I-35 Northbound from Robinson? Whoever designed that little on-off ramp from Robinson to 35 right behind target at UNP was surely intoxicated at the time.
    I do a few times every month, never had any problems!

Has anyone tried to get onto I-35 Northbound from Robinson? Whoever designed that little on-off ramp from Robinson to 35 right behind target at UNP was surely intoxicated at the time.
    This entrance to I-35 is fine, I drive it almost daily. Pretty petty complaint...

Same here, I've never had a problem with it.

5. Default Re: UPDATE! University North Park

I don't think it is terrible...but it isn't all that fun for those turning left onto Interstate Drive next to the tire place and realize they have only one option - I-35 north. It's not terrible though, but takes some getting use to.

6. Default Re: UPDATE! University North Park

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerus View Post
    This entrance to I-35 is fine, I drive it almost daily. Pretty petty complaint...
    I drive it daily too and never have problems. Doesn't mean it couldn't have been done in a way that doesn't launch you on to the high way. They need a longer merge area, most cars seem to not get up to speed in the short amount of time they have to merge.

First of all, nobody merges in Oklahoma. They just slow down and sometimes stop at the end of the entrance. If boggles my mind on why Oklahomans do that and the rest of our nation do not.

Quote Originally Posted by zachj7 View Post
    First of all, nobody merges in Oklahoma. They just slow down and sometimes stop at the end of the entrance. If boggles my mind on why Oklahomans do that and the rest of our nation do not.
    This isn't the thread for it, but I fully agree. I just avoid the "merging" lane altogether unless I'm entering or exiting the motorway.

Quote Originally Posted by Mississippi Blues View Post
    This isn't the thread for it, but I fully agree. I just avoid the "merging" lane altogether unless I'm entering or exiting the motorway.
    Looks like you 2 are just looking for something else to "hammer" Oklahomans about. I merge successfully all the time and see most "Oklahomans" merging with little or no problem.

Motorway? Did I click on the 1940s internet? I don't think I've heard anyone in this century call it that.

Quote Originally Posted by SOONER8693 View Post
    Looks like you 2 are just looking for something else to "hammer" Oklahomans about. I merge successfully all the time and see most "Oklahomans" merging with little or no problem.
    I merge successfully, but it comes with its difficulties at times. There are often people -- they exist everywhere, but it is fairly common in OKC -- that slow down when they are merging or go very slow on the entrance ramp & cannot merge due to them still going 10-20 mph under the speed limit. This goes with what I was just talking about, but it is also somewhat common (everywhere, honestly) when the other lanes are empty but someone stays in the merging lane & causes someone to have to slow down because they cannot get on the motorway (freeway / interstate) faster than the person already on it.

Disclaimer (since it is apparently needed) - I am not trying to bash the fine people of Oklahoma; I am, however, just stating my own personal experiences that may or may not be experienced by others.

I was not looking for anything to hammer Okies about -- I actually find it somewhat comical, maybe borderline silly, that such rhetorics of paranoia are applied every time someone does not state the highest honors for the people of *insert any state or country* -- , I just find it rather annoying to deal with people trying to merge that slow down -- despite them having no yield sign (the treatment of yield signs can be its own topic) -- when you slow down to allow them on.

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    Motorway? Did I click on the 1940s internet? I don't think I've heard anyone in this century call it that.
    No, you clicked on an English -- as in the UK (United Kingdom, not University of Kentucky) -- term.

I merge successfully, but it comes with its difficulties at times. There are often people -- they exist everywhere, but it is fairly common in OKC -- that slow down when they are merging or go very slow on the entrance ramp & cannot merge due to them still going 10-20 mph under the speed limit. This goes with what I was just talking about, but it is also somewhat common (everywhere, honestly) when the other lanes are empty but someone stays in the merging lane & causes someone to have to slow down because they cannot get on the motorway (freeway / interstate) faster than the person already on it.

Disclaimer (since it is apparently needed) - I am not trying to bash the fine people of Oklahoma; I am, however, just stating my own personal experiences that may or may not be experienced by others.

I was not looking for anything to hammer Okies about -- I actually find it somewhat comical, maybe borderline silly, that such rhetorics of paranoia are applied every time someone does not state the highest honors for the people of *insert any state or country* -- , I just find it rather annoying to deal with people trying to merge that slow down -- despite them having no yield sign (the treatment of yield signs can be its own topic) -- when you slow down to allow them on.
    I'm originally from Jersey, and I noticed the exact same thing -- even people stopping while attempting to merge. I see this with some regularity on major entrance ramps onto highways. Boggles my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by LocoAko View Post
    I'm originally from Jersey, and I noticed the exact same thing -- even people stopping while attempting to merge. I see this with some regularity on major entrance ramps onto highways. Boggles my mind.
    I have seen that as well. Thankfully, I'm on the interstate cruising by & not behind them stopped as well.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by LocoAko View Post
    That's because in Jersey people merge at top end speeds, yield signs be damned! I'll take any drivers over those in the NE any day.

image.jpg

Presenting the UNP Ramp to Nowhere in front of Crest.

dude who cares, just enjoy life a little bit and stop worrying about small things man. I went to UNP the other day and it was just fine. I liked it and walked about just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    dude who cares, just enjoy life a little bit and stop worrying about small things man. I went to UNP the other day and it was just fine. I liked it and walked about just fine.
    I took it as just a sarcastic / ironic / "tongue in cheek" kind of thing. It actually made me snicker a little.

I took it as just a sarcastic / ironic / "tongue in cheek" kind of thing. It actually made me snicker a little.
    bingo.

It's just a funny sight to see, that's all. Relax.

That is the problem. There are yield signs everywhere on entrances even with plenty of merge room, so many Oaklahomans end up "yielding" as in stopping on the freeway while others pass them going 60 MPH. What are they suppose to do then? The opportunity to merge is gone and people then treat it like a stop sign or right turn lane into a freeway and sit still for an opening. I find it very dangerous to just stop at the end of the entrance. I find myself having to slam on my brakes behind someone as I enter the highway instead of speeding up like the rest of the country. Many Oklahomans must think I am crazy for thinking that it's strange. I have not observed this elsewhere in the United States. Culture shock I guess. I don't mean to insult Oklahomans. Anyways, either way I find the entrance and exit at UNP nice. Much easier to get to Target and Crest going northbound on 35.

I've driven in several states and have encountered many idiot drivers everywhere. It's not unique to Oklahoma.

What I hate is when people feel like they have to drive all the way to the end of the merge lane before they get over. What I do when merging is look over and see where there's a space. Then I hop over into that space even if I have a lot of room left before the merge lane ends. When merging, you try for the zipper effect so that no one has to slow down. But what I get is people thinking "Oh, the merge lane ends. Time for me to get over." Yet, there I am and I can't get over to give them space because there's a car next to me and the idiot merging doesn't understand that two objects can't occupy the same space. The merge lane doesn't tell you when to get over, the traffic pattern does.

image.jpg

Presenting the UNP Ramp to Nowhere in front of Crest.
    At least it is ADA compliant.

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    I've driven in several states and have encountered many idiot drivers everywhere. It's not unique to Oklahoma.

What I hate is when people feel like they have to drive all the way to the end of the merge lane before they get over. What I do when merging is look over and see where there's a space. Then I hop over into that space even if I have a lot of room left before the merge lane ends. When merging, you try for the zipper effect so that no one has to slow down. But what I get is people thinking "Oh, the merge lane ends. Time for me to get over." Yet, there I am and I can't get over to give them space because there's a car next to me and the idiot merging doesn't understand that two objects can't occupy the same space. The merge lane doesn't tell you when to get over, the traffic pattern does.
    Bingo. This is NOT unique to Oklahoma. Does NOT happen any more here than any other place. Those of you saying it does, are full of c**p and just looking for a reason to rag on Oklahoma.

24. Default Re: UPDATE! University North Park

Is there a reason why there is still discussion about driving habits in the UNP thread? We probably have 3-5 driving habit/gripe threads from the last few months. Would probably be best to shift to that.

As far as UNP related. Finally went up to Crest and it is a really nice store. I hope they can keep it like that, but we'll see. Still a bit of a drive for me to go to over Homeland, but there might be some cases where it makes sense.

Mauds, we need a driving complaint subforum.

Thread Information