Widgets Magazine
Page 25 of 29 FirstFirst ... 20212223242526272829 LastLast

Thread: 2023 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

Default Re: 2023 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Celebrator View Post
    I think you might be referring to 94th Aero Squadron, which was part of a chain of WWI-themed restaurants across the country which positioned themselves strategically so diners had runway views. I remember the one at STL growing up (there's a photo of the one at Stapleton here, too (tinyUrl): https://rb.gy/10t8x
    Yes, that's it. I only ate there once but I certainly recognize it.

2. Default Re: 2023 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

Just a report that we flew American on the direct from DCA yesterday and it was great. Pretty new A320 that was completely full. We got a nice meal on the flight (we splurged with points and were in FC) and WRWA was very busy when we arrived at 3:45 or so. Really encouraging to have a direct flight like that into OKC.

Still growing. AA kills it as always.

https://flyokc.com/sites/default/fil...lanement_0.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by ChaseDweller View Post
    Just a report that we flew American on the direct from DCA yesterday and it was great. Pretty new A320 that was completely full. We got a nice meal on the flight (we splurged with points and were in FC) and WRWA was very busy when we arrived at 3:45 or so. Really encouraging to have a direct flight like that into OKC.
    That checks out with my experience. I went to California in May and the security line early morning on a Saturday was nearly out of the que. Great to see the airport so busy. My American flights were both full. I really think they have the best network out of OKC and really the only major hub we are missing from them is Philadelphia. Great to see the route and equipment upgrade to Miami. They aren't a perfect operation in the least bit(none are of course) but I like what they are offering to OKC residents to getting where they want/need to go.

5. Default Re: 2023 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

wish we didn't have the declines in Delta, Alaska, and Allegient.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    wish we didn't have the declines in Delta, Alaska, and Allegient.
    I'd probably blame the airport director.

Breeze restarted TUL-MSY today. 2x/weekly (F-M). This is the third time TUL-MSY has been tried in the past 5 years (Allegiant, Breeze, Breeze again) hopefully it sticks and OKC-MSY is added. I have not flown Breeze yet, almost booked TUL-BNA but then they ended that route…

September out. Great month.

https://flyokc.com/sites/default/fil...nplanement.pdf

Compare to 2019, will how much United is down. AA, Southwest and Frontier leading the growth.
    https://flyokc.com/sites/default/fil...nplanement.pdf

I wonder where the Allegiant data went. Also, I am guessing the drop in United data is tied to the pilot shortage they are going through. I am sure Catch22 can chime in there. But, looking at the data shows that there's a lot of interest in OKC for growth, but the airlines need to go after it. Right now, American and Frontier seem to be the ones going after it. I am sure at some point United and Delta will step up their aggressiveness

Catch has posted dozens of times they are at capacity. Only so many planes and pilots. The only growth in OKC will come from other cities having routes cut. So then it becomes what each individual airline is focused on as a matter of corporate strategy. AA & SWA have a definite focus on OKC. United and Delta are focused elsewhere. (and please read with nuance, its not 100% ignoring or it's written on a whiteboard at the CEO's office). Others are somewhere in the middle.

And no the airport director cold calling CEOs or VPs offering subsidies isn't going to do a thing when airlines are already making huge profits.

When OKC gets a new route if it performs it stays, if it doesn't it'll go away. Like AA with the Miami seasonal, if it performs well it likely becomes year round.

No idea why Allegiant isn't on there

11. Default Re: 2023 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

I'm just thrilled to be on a 739 to DEN tomorrow on UA. It's a start.

GoPokes88: Correct. The airport director cold calling won't help and isn't necessary .

However, looking at the regionals, there are a number of aircraft parked right now (according to cirium). Skywest has 118 jets currently parked. Endeavor (Delta) has 98 jets parked. AirWisconsin has 16 jets parked. CommutAir has 42 jets parked. Mesa has 43 jets parked. I don't know the exact reason for the parked jets, but it would seem that the pilot shortage is possibly the reason and that the pilot shortage is affecting regionals. While mainline is different than regionals, it seems that United, which has a total of 800+ mainline aircraft, is adding more mainline aircraft in the coming years. Not sure what the net add will be with some airplanes going into retirement, but hopefully we'll see an increase in available seats in OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    catch has posted dozens of times they are at capacity. Only so many planes and pilots. The only growth in okc will come from other cities having routes cut. So then it becomes what each individual airline is focused on as a matter of corporate strategy. Aa & swa have a definite focus on okc. United and delta are focused elsewhere. (and please read with nuance, its not 100% ignoring or it's written on a whiteboard at the ceo's office). Others are somewhere in the middle.

And no the airport director cold calling ceos or vps offering subsidies isn't going to do a thing when airlines are already making huge profits.

When okc gets a new route if it performs it stays, if it doesn't it'll go away. Like aa with the miami seasonal, if it performs well it likely becomes year round.

No idea why allegiant isn't on there
    where is our airport director?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    where is our airport director?!?!?
    Getting his pilot's license then demanding SWA add a direct to (insert random place someone in okc wants a direct too)

Quote Originally Posted by damonsmuz View Post
    GoPokes88: Correct. The airport director cold calling won't help and isn't necessary .

However, looking at the regionals, there are a number of aircraft parked right now (according to cirium). Skywest has 118 jets currently parked. Endeavor (Delta) has 98 jets parked. AirWisconsin has 16 jets parked. CommutAir has 42 jets parked. Mesa has 43 jets parked. I don't know the exact reason for the parked jets, but it would seem that the pilot shortage is possibly the reason and that the pilot shortage is affecting regionals. While mainline is different than regionals, it seems that United, which has a total of 800+ mainline aircraft, is adding more mainline aircraft in the coming years. Not sure what the net add will be with some airplanes going into retirement, but hopefully we'll see an increase in available seats in OKC.
    That's probably shortage. Regional's are the minor leagues for mainline. That's where the shortage is first felt.

16. Default Re: 2023 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

Quote Originally Posted by s00nr1 View Post
    And every single seat occupied on a Tuesday evening flight.

17. Default Re: 2023 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

And then a shameful excuse of a commercial aircraft CRJ200 back to OKC.

And then a shameful excuse of a commercial aircraft CRJ200 back to OKC.
    I hate those CRJ-200s so much

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    I hate those CRJ-200s so much
    You're not alone....

With the recent changes to Delta's loyalty program, I am going free agent after years of diamond or platinum status with Delta. Which airlines are flying the CRJ200s into OKC? Any suggestions as to best airlines to fly and why you feel that way. American always seems cheaper but seems they cancel a lot of flights. I like the connections on United but their newer seats don't seem comfortable. First world problems but also hate that you only get a choice of water or juice for a predeparture drink when in first class. Of course with Delta....it has become a 50-50 shot of a predeparture drink at all.

I had a couple AA flights over the summer. The frequency of okc-dfw is nice. Also I had some miles from a Barclay's AA card, I found a couple cheap legs.
    I used to use delta through MSP, but they've cut that frequency and the prices are very high.
    Also having cap1 lounge in dfw is great.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    With the recent changes to Delta's loyalty program, I am going free agent after years of diamond or platinum status with Delta. Which airlines are flying the CRJ200s into OKC? Any suggestions as to best airlines to fly and why you feel that way. American always seems cheaper but seems they cancel a lot of flights. I like the connections on United but their newer seats don't seem comfortable. First world problems but also hate that you only get a choice of water or juice for a predeparture drink when in first class. Of course with Delta....it has become a 50-50 shot of a predeparture drink at all.
    seems like they walked back some of the proposed changes

https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/t...tomer-backlash

23. Default Re: 2023 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

AA is the way to go in OKC right now. Nice frequencies and times to all thier hubs. Many of them are on main lines as well.

It would be nice if Southwest offered flights from OKC to the Hollywood-Burbank Airport.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    It would be nice if Southwest offered flights from OKC to the Hollywood-Burbank Airport.
    We have flown into and out of Long Beach and Santa Ana. Both great airports. Would love directs into there, but most of the connections there would be through Denver or phoenix.

Thread Information