Widgets Magazine
Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 20212223242526 LastLast

Thread: OKC Energy FC

Default Re: OKC Energy FC

What's obvious is that the owners would rather not field a team and just wait for taxpayers to fund a $37 million stadium for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    What's obvious is that the owners would rather not field a team and just wait for taxpayers to fund a $37 million stadium for them.
    Agreed. It's very dirty.

Is there any way to make funding of the MAPS 4 Stadium contingent on Prodigal giving up their controlling stake in the team? I'm assuming not, but it's something I would at least like Holt and the rest of the City Council to look into.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    Is there any way to make funding of the MAPS 4 Stadium contingent on Prodigal giving up their controlling stake in the team? I'm assuming not, but it's something I would at least like Holt and the rest of the City Council to look into.
    There's no way the Funks would give up their controlling interests. Oklahoma City wants this stadium as close to the core as possible which will help Bricktown Entertainment as does the NBA Thunder.

We need 'Borchard' back on the discussion end of this forum. He knows the history about when we had two teams: Rayo & Energy FC. I'll see if I can contact him.

I sent a message to Borchard . . .

I don't think this is the Funk's fault. Lemme list my points, and please correct me where I'm wrong.

Energy FC is in United Soccer League Championship (USLC). It is the highest minor league in North America.

Energy FC has never been controlling tenant of any stadium in OKC.

USLC demands a regulation field of 110 by 70 yards and refused to extend the waiver they had previously granted to Energy FC (and possibly other teams).

Oklahoma City Public Schools owns Taft Stadium and refused to remove the track in order to make the soccer field USLC compliant.

USLC features 17-20 home dates a season.

USLC season overlaps baseball season.

Energy FC draws about 2,000 people per game.

Energy FC could not get approval from Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark operator (and OKC Dodgers owner) Endeavor Sports to use and modify their playing field and stadium during their overlapping regular seasons.

Energy FC could not find a stadium in the OKC metro that could meet USLC requirements for field. seating and locker room configurations.

Blog Entries

Thunder Re: OKC Energy FC

Energy FC could not get approval from Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark operator (and OKC Dodgers owner) Endeavor Sports to use and modify their playing field and stadium during their overlapping regular seasons.
    Tulsa has the same issue as OKC; except they have AA and not AAA.

The City of Oklahoma City owns the Ballpark. Voters approved this park and if it can be used for another sport--why not use it. City of Tulsa owns ONEOK Field which is used for USL soccer, so why can't our city make arrangements to use Bricktown Ballpark for USL soccer as well.

Can you imagine a situation where our NBA Thunder franchise (Anchor tenant) would want to deny any other sports or entertainment from the use of Paycom Center.

Blog Entries

When FC Tulsa (then the Roughnecks) was founded in 2013 they were owned by the Drillers, so there was no conflict.

When the larger field was required ONEOK Field had a hydraulic shelf installed under the pitchers mound so it could be lowered when the soccer pitch was being used. That expanded the area for the pitch and allowed the pitch to be brought up close to the stands.

The Drillers sold the Roughnecks in 2019 and the new owners renamed the team FC Tulsa, but the Drillers still support the team.

Blog Entries

Energy FC Re: OKC Energy FC

Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post
    When FC Tulsa (then the Roughnecks) was founded in 2013 they were owned by the Drillers, so there was no conflict.

When the larger field was required ONEOK Field had a hydraulic shelf installed under the pitchers mound so it could be lowered when the soccer pitch was being used. That expanded the area for the pitch and allowed the pitch to be brought up close to the stands.

The Drillers sold the Roughnecks in 2019 and the new owners renamed the team FC Tulsa, but the Drillers still support the team.
    Thank you, Swake.

So the same modification with the pitcher's mound could be made with the Bricktown Ballpark.

Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark 9,000 - (13,000 tarp over right field line seating)
    Left field: 325 ft (99 m) Center field: 400 ft (120 m) Right field: 325 ft (99 m)
    Broke ground October 10, 1995 - Opened April 16, 1998
    Construction cost: US$34 million - ($56.5 million in 2021 dollars

OneOK Field
    Left field – 330 feet (101 m) Center field – 400 feet (122 m) Right field – 307 feet (94 m)
    Baseball 7,833, Soccer
    Broke ground December 19, 2008 - Opened April 8, 2010 -
    Construction cost: $39.2 million - ($48.7 million in 2021 dollars

The two parks have similar dimensions.

Funks have a track record that dates back to the IGA Tennis tournaments which we lost to Memphis once
    the Funks got control.

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    Can you imagine a situation where our NBA Thunder franchise (Anchor tenant) would want to deny any other sports or entertainment from the use of Paycom Center.
    Yes, very easily. Dallas wanted to move their ECHL hockey team from Idaho to OKC, so that it could complete with Wichita, Tulsa, and Allen. And the thunder told the stars management group "no way".

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    Yes, very easily. Dallas wanted to move their ECHL hockey team from Idaho to OKC, so that it could complete with Wichita, Tulsa, and Allen. And the thunder told the stars management group "no way".
    Ice plant underneath the arena is one among several reasons. Once we build a new arena (preferable on the Prairie Surf Studios site), Paycom Center could be used for ice shows and ECHL AA Ice hockey. A new arena could be constructed for NBA Thunder basketball as the anchor tenant.

Lets face it, our city WILL LOSE the Thunder if we don't go ahead and build a new arena when MAPS 4 is extended in September 2027 by voters that will go into effect for April 2028. Two year construction, OKC will have a new NBA caliber arena opening in 2030.

Ice plant underneath the arena is one among several reasons. Once we build a new arena (preferable on the Prairie Surf Studios site), Paycom Center could be used for ice shows and ECHL AA Ice hockey. A new arena could be constructed for NBA Thunder basketball as the anchor tenant.

Lets face it, our city WILL LOSE the Thunder if we don't go ahead and build a new arena when MAPS 4 is extended in September 2027 by voters that will go into effect for April 2028. Two year construction, OKC will have a new NBA caliber arena opening in 2030.
    Are you saying there is no ice making equipment in the PC? If there is why do the Thunder have veto power? It is common in many cities for major league basketball to share the arena with the local hockey club. This would be money going to the arena owner(Okc).

This should be one of those times where the Maps committee / council can re-allocate funds.

Might as well move the $37M to the Thunder’s new arena. Would be better spent there imo

Blog Entries

There is an ice plant underneath Paycom Center.

Thunder doesn't want it functioning during NBA season. Now other NBA cities have figured this out--Los Angeles (NBA Clippers, NHL Kings), Philadelphia (NBA 76ers, NHL Flyers), Dallas (NBA Mavericks, NHL Stars). Boston (NBA Celtics, NHL Bruins), Denver (NBA Nuggets, NHL Avalanche) & Chicago (NBA Bulls, NHL Blackhawks).

As for veto power, I underestimated these owners who are among the riches in Oklahoma that doesn't include Harold Hamm.

You can forget minor league AA hockey until 2030 or until the Thunder owners decide to let go of its grip.

There is an ice plant underneath Paycom Center.

Thunder doesn't want it functioning during NBA season. Now other NBA cities have figured this out--Los Angeles (NBA Clippers, NHL Kings), Philadelphia (NBA 76ers, NHL Flyers), Dallas (NBA Mavericks, NHL Stars). Boston (NBA Celtics, NHL Bruins), Denver (NBA Nuggets, NHL Avalanche) & Chicago (NBA Bulls, NHL Blackhawks).

As for veto power, I underestimated these owners who are among the riches in Oklahoma that doesn't include Harold Hamm.

You can forget minor league AA hockey until 2030 or until the Thunder owners decide to let go of its grip.
    My point. Earlier you posted could you believe the Thunder would deny other spoets or entertainment. It was shown they did. You provided a parial list of two sport arenas and there are more. The city needs to act like they are a landlord and charge for loss of rental fees. It is bad pr to ask for the taxpayers to fund a new arena if the city can't act like they own it. While those Thunder owners are rich so is the Clippers owner who shares the arena with not only a hockey team but the Lakers as well.OKC does not need to be subservient. They can get better terms.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    Are you saying there is no ice making equipment in the PC? If there is why do the Thunder have veto power? It is common in many cities for major league basketball to share the arena with the local hockey club. This would be money going to the arena owner(Okc).
    American Airlines Center: Dallas Mavericks and Dallas Stars
    Ball Arena: Denver Nuggets and Colorado Avalanche
    Capital One Arena: Washington Wizards and Washington Capitals
    Crypto.com Arena: Los Angeles Lakers, Los Angeles Clippers and Los Angeles Kings
    Little Caesars Arena: Detroit Pistons and Detroit Red Wings
    Madison Square Garden: New York Knicks and New York Rangers
    Scotiabank Arena: Toronto Raptors and Toronto Maple Leafs
    TD Garden: Boston Celtics and Boston Bruins
    United Center: Chicago Bulls and Chicago Blackhawks
    Wells Fargo Center: Philadelphia 76ers and Philadelphia Flyers

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/wa...share-stadiums

Blog Entries

My point. Earlier you posted could you believe the Thunder would deny other spoets or entertainment. It was shown they did. You provided a parial list of two sport arenas and there are more. The city needs to act like they are a landlord and charge for loss of rental fees. It is bad pr to ask for the taxpayers to fund a new arena if the city can't act like they own it. While those Thunder owners are rich so is the Clippers owner who shares the arena with not only a hockey team but the Lakers as well.OKC does not need to be subservient. They can get better terms.
    The list I provided was off the top of my head, just don't have the time to do the research on all the cities that have arenas that support both NBA & NHL. Swake's list seems to be more up-to-date, we are fortunate to have him on OKCTalk as well as Tulsa Now forums.

As I said, I underestimated these owners (Ref: Idaho minor league franchise): would love for OKC & TUL to renew its rivalry. Also lets not forget, the Funks' AAA Barons failure--we need Tulsa for minor league hockey to survive in OKC.

We haven't heard anything on a new arena, my best guess they are still getting things together--our city leaders have a lot on their plate.

When the time comes, citizens will have to decide on a new arena. Wait on the next MAPS extension or let citizens decide by a bond vote (Fastest route to building a new arena) if the city hasn't exhausted its bonded indebtedness. Oklahoma County has $288 million for new county jail and OKCPS has $955 million for replacing school infrastructure--Just don't know how both bonds will affect our city.

If anyone can get this done--Mayor Holt has the knowledge and temperament on how to get this done.

Jersey Boss, I've given you what I feel is my perspective on this. I'm not the expert on here or do I have any inside knowledge on what our city leaders will do. However, our mayor will be working with a group comprised of the most riches and powerful men in this state on getting a new arena financed.

Let's not forget, the concern we're having on this thread (OKC Energy FC) has to do with the ownership group; if and when USL will return to our city.

Personally, although it would be idea to have NBA, USL soccer and ECHL hockey, we can't get this trifecta achieved overnight.

the Thunder have acted within their lease rights .....

the Clippers are builidng a new arena as we speak .. .

Blog Entries

How many NBA teams share arenas with lower level hockey clubs. There’s a certain cost to support infrastructure, rapid changeover, etc. and maybe the city is not wanting to lose money.

19. Default Re: OKC Energy FC

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    How many NBA teams share arenas with lower level hockey clubs. There’s a certain cost to support infrastructure, rapid changeover, etc. and maybe the city is not wanting to lose money.
    Im pretty sure San Antonio shares their arena with their minor hockey team. Or at least they used to when the Barons were around.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Currently Cleveland is the only one that Share with an AHL team. San Antonio did until the AHL team recently moved in 2020 to Henderson Nevada.

as for the ECHL (AA)

Orlando currently shares with the ECHL team the Orlando Solar Bears.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    the Thunder have acted within their lease rights .....

the Clippers are builidng a new arena as we speak .. .
    No one said the Thunder aren't. The unspoken veto rights over other potential sports and entertainment options and the willingness of city government to be dictated to is.

I think the sports world continues to change, and what was okay 10-15 years ago no longer is. MLB, NBA and NHL have decided there is real benefit to owning and controlling their minor league systems. MLB took over MILB and are removing more and more of the independent owners and operators. The players union had expanded to represent the minor league players. both of those developments are impacting stadium control and playing field expectations.

Also, I think the Bricktown Ballpark has always been operated as a baseball first facility, with controlling tenant rights given to AAA baseball and their team. I think the OKC Dodgers are the stadium operator and give a rent payment to the City. I don't think the Dodgers are gonna share space in season (or out) with a tenant who will cover the infield, remove the pitchers mound and put bleachers on the field.

I think USLC is moving toward not using baseball stadiums and their infield issues.

I think the Thunder did not want to share the Chesapeake/Paycom Arena for the first 10 years, and that was a big reason why there were fewer concerts and no hockey.

The NHL went to the parent club owning and operating their minor leagues and also moved to a costal concentration model in order to reduce travel costs at the AHL level (AAA). About 70% of AHL teams are either west coast or east coast located. I also think there isn't a strong desire in civic leadership to be a AA town in any sport.

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    Currently Cleveland is the only one that Share with an AHL team. San Antonio did until the AHL team recently moved in 2020 to Henderson Nevada.

as for the ECHL (AA)

Orlando currently shares with the ECHL team the Orlando Solar Bears.
    I think the DeVos family own both the Orlando Magic and the Solar Bears.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    I think the DeVos family own both the Orlando Magic and the Solar Bears.
    True. . .

There's no way the Funks would give up their controlling interests. Oklahoma City wants this stadium as close to the core as possible which will help Bricktown Entertainment as does the NBA Thunder.

We need 'Borchard' back on the discussion end of this forum. He knows the history about when we had two teams: Rayo & Energy FC. I'll see if I can contact him.

I sent a message to Borchard . . .
    I have no idea how this is going to all turn out. I really hope that someone steps up to buy the soccer team from Funk and McLaughlin. I'm pretty sure that the city would at least listen if the present owners asked about leasing the ballpark for games. I say this because back in the day, before it all fell apart, Rayo was talking to the city about playing games there. If they really wanted to play they could invest in a modular playing surface like Nexxfield. Rayo, like the Energy, also played on a HS football field with a running track around it. But one of the owners, Sean Jones, bought a Nexxfield playing surface that was laid OVER the football field, stretching onto the running track, making it a regulation-sized pitch. So much water has gone under the bridge at this point. It's sad for me to think about 2104, before all the craziness happened, when 3,000 of us showed up at a parking lot in Bricktown to watch the US play in the World Cup. I really thought THAT was evidence that we would be a huge success if we ever got a team. Looking back now, like I said, it's just sad. Apologies to Laramie, I really don't have a lot to offer to this discussion. We'll see what happens.

Thread Information